PDA

View Full Version : Wierd primer problem

BOOM BOOM
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
:?:
HI,
Never had this happen before.
Just sized & deprimed some PMC 357 brass. had primed & shot it before with no problem w/ CCI primers.
This last load was 13grs. WC820 W/ 180gr bullet. Yes it is a hot load.
Started to bell & re prime the brass & for 6 strait brass the primer would not go in.
So took a drill bit & camphored the primer pockets, then I could with difficultly seat the primers but 5 just fell out & 1 had a deformed side but stayed in.
Too hot a load will enlarge a primer pocket, but these are acting like crimped primer pockets & appear to be swaging down the primers as they go in ,then the primers fall out.
What the heck is going on???:killingpc

powderburnerr
07-16-2009, 06:18 PM
The heads of the primers may be coming off and leaving the sides of the cups in the pocket,you have to look close to see the walls in the pocket. ..

Getting wet or in a corrosive atmosphere will sometimes cause this , also if the primer was crimped in or there was stuff in the pocket it might also cause this... Dean

leftiye
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Primer pocker reamer needed. If the sides of the primers (that's my guess too) are in the holes an ice pick or scratch awl may be able to pry them out (if they aren't corroded into place). Drill?

Dennis Eugene
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
ok this is just out of the blue but maybe. I once ran into a problem seating primers they would go in hard and sometimes collapse one side of the primer, I use an RCBS bench mounted priming press, I found that the shell holder had gotten dirty with lube and dirt and was not allowing the brass to go all the way in and the primer pocket was off set enough to make it hard to seat primers. I cleaned the shell holder with a tooth pick under the lip where the rim of the case went and problem solved. Dennis Eugene.

BOOM BOOM
07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi,
will try cleaning today!

BOOM BOOM
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
HI,
Yesterday after I posted, I tried the rest of the PMC cases I had shot 2 days ago. All 85 cases would not seat a primer.
Other cases shot 1 day ago (Norma & Super vel) primed just fine. Just the PMC cases had the problem.
Cleaned shellholder, & all cases primed ok.

Dennis Eugene
07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
shucks man you mean i got one right? glad it worked. Dennis