PDA

View Full Version : Current WW composition?

Blackwater
03-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have any data or knowledge about the current average composition of WW's, specifically tin and antimony content? Have always used WW's, but have a large quantity of lead sheeting and linotype now, and want to learn to mix alloys for certain applications, both hard and soft, and between the 3 metals, I ought to be able to concoct most anything I want, adding bar solder as a 4th ingredient .... hopefully. Will be working on getting a good expanding alloy for hunting, among other things. Any suggestions for same are welcome. I'm thinking WW's with 2% tin should expand pretty well, but will be using wet newsprint to verify before going afield with cast bullets.

Also will be shooting some HP's. Got a Lee .458 340 gr. HP mould, and I think I'm going to like it. MUCH easier/quicker than my Lyman 457122 Gould HP. Suggestions here would be welcome, too.

drinks
03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
BW;
I have wws from about the last 4 years in current stock, all melted down in muffins or ingots,
Over 400lbs, I went through all of them with my Cabine Tree tester a few weeks ago, had about 50% BHN 14, about 20% BHN 10, 10% BHN 12 and 20% BHN 20.
You really need some kind of tester, the Lee is the cheapest and , as far as I can tell, the most accurate.
It seems to exactly duplicate the original test setup of Brinnel.
It does take some getting used to, but when you figure out how to hold everything still, the results are very good.

Texasflyboy
03-22-2006, 11:34 PM
How about a scan from the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from Perfect Wheelweight company, one of the largest mfg's of wheelweights around?

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/ww1.jpg

felix
03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Looks like they could care less what's in their product. ... felix