PDA

View Full Version : How much case flare?

southerncomforthemi
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM
hi..new to reloading...using 185gr lead cast swc in .45 acp. How much do I flare the case....if possible is there a measurement rather than the bullet should rest in the case....?...thanks

Rockchucker
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I've never measured any of my brass but always flared the case enough so that the case doesn't shave any lead. I'm sure others will chime in and offer some help. If your bell is to great you'll have a hard time putting a crimp on your case.

putteral
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Welcome! I never have measured the amount of flare. Always just flare it enough to fit my boolit, so I don't shave any lead off.
:castmine:

Wayne Smith
07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Believe me, if you flare it too much the case won't fit in your die! Don't ask.

All you need is a very slight flare for a gc boolit, slightly more for a plain base.

Shiloh
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I've never measured any of my brass but always flared the case enough so that the case doesn't shave any lead. I'm sure others will chime in and offer some help. If your bell is to great you'll have a hard time putting a crimp on your case.

Welcome! I never have measured the amount of flare. Always just flare it enough to fit my boolit, so I don't shave any lead off.
:castmine:

This says it all. No more than needed to prevent shaving boolits.

Shiloh

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Believe me, if you flare it too much the case won't fit in your die! Don't ask.

All you need is a very slight flare for a gc boolit, slightly more for a plain base.

Exactly! And if your brass isn't all trimmed even they won't all be perfectly uniform anyway.

SciFiJim
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
The way to set your flare is to do a little at a time until you get the desired amount of flare.
Use an unprimed, empty case to make a dummy round to set the flare.

1. Screw your flaring die in until it makes contact with the raised ram and back it off a quarter turn.
2. Back the flaring pin out until it doesn't make contact with the brass when ram is raised.
3. Turn the flaring pin in just until contact is made with the brass.
4. Lower ram a little and screw flaring pin in a quarter turn.
5. Raise ram to flare brass.
6. Lower ram and see if brass is flared enough for boolit to sit on mouth without falling over.
Repeat 4, 5, & 6 until the boolit will sit on mouth of brass.

Switch to the seating die and seat the boolit in the case. If lead is shaved then use another unprimed, empty case and repeat 4, 5, & 6 to flare a little more.
Repeat until no lead is shaved.

You will then have your flare set on your die.

Then you can pull all of the dummy rounds to recycle the components.

1Shirt
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
How much flarel? Minimal to ensure however no shaving lead. Also use and recommend the Lyman or RCBS VLD tool which is a real help as well.
1Shirt!:coffeecom