PDA

View Full Version : Lee lead hardness tester suggestion

rayg
07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
I have/had a very difficult time trying to read and to line up the fine black scale lines in the Lee scope, especially on the shinny metal where the bullet had the flat filed for the tester ball/point impression. I've read some suggestions that would help like using kids microscope bodies to hold the Lee scope to using head magnifiers which I'm sure help.
However, I tried this simple solution and it made an increditable difference in being able to see the lines. I applied some "whiteout" to that area and used my finger nail to scrap the white out from around the ball indent so the whole dia could be measured.
You can't believe how the fine black lines jump out and show up on that white background.
I would imagine any white substance would work as well, like paint etc.
Just thought I would pass this on as it sure made a difference for me.

I appolize if this is method is old news and has already been suggested by some folks before, Ray

randyrat
07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
WhOOO i like your idea.. i have the same problem.... maybe i use mine again if this works.
I mounted my microscope in a funnel upside down and cut a V from the side of the funnel to get light in there. But, i still had trouble trying to define the lines of the crater.

armyrat1970
07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Thought about getting that lee tester but always felt I would have problems with that scope because of my failing eyesight. You've given me something to think about.

cajun shooter
07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
If your age is anything close to 60 don't bother. Buy trhe cabin tree from Gussy on thuis forum, you will not be upset that you did . You will be like a kid and looking for things to test without the aid of glasses

rayg
07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I have read good things about the Cabin Tree also. However I am over 60 and this white out method makes it so easy to read now it's unbelievable even for my old eyes. My only complaint against the Lee before was how difficult it was to read, but not anymore.
Just curious, what's the price difference between the Lee and the Cabin Tree? Ray

fredj338
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I have read good things about the Cabin Tree also. However I am over 60 and this white out method makes it so easy to read now it's unbelievable even for my old eyes. My only complaint against the Lee before was how difficult it was to read, but not anymore.
Just curious, what's the price difference between the Lee and the Cabin Tree? Ray

The diff. is about $55 & well worth it IMO, just for the ease of testing.

mpmarty
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
He double toothpicks! I'm over seventy and have no problem using the Lee tester at all. The filed flat of the boolit shank is dull gray in the scope and the indented circle is shiny bright and very sharply defined. The black lines on the scope show up sharp and clear and are easy to read. The secret is to have the light source coming in at the proper angle.

rayg
07-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Marty you must still have good eyes. I bet it took me a couple of minutes to finially get a decent reading even when angling the light. No problem now that I just whitened up the back ground.
Where can you find the cabin Tree testers for sale? I checked a number of the reloader sites/dealers and can't find it. I saw the Lee one's and they are still about $50 which is what I paid, but they are on back order. Ray

outdoorfan
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I much prefer to use dial calipers with a loupe on my Lee tester.

rayg
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I much prefer to use dial calipers with a loupe on my Lee tester.

Yes I remember reading how you did that. That sounds like a good way also. :drinks: Ray

Cowboy5780
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Like outdoorfan i just use the dial calipers and read the diameter works just fine

fredj338
07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Marty you must still have good eyes. I bet it took me a couple of minutes to finially get a decent reading even when angling the light. No problem now that I just whitened up the back ground.
Where can you find the cabin Tree testers for sale? I checked a number of the reloader sites/dealers and can't find it. I saw the Lee one's and they are still about $50 which is what I paid, but they are on back order. Ray
You can go direct to CabinTree or Buffalo Arms sells them for the same price.

Lutzy48
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I just finished up a hardness tester made similar to the Lee unit. I bought a Fowler brand 20X pocket machinist's scope (same as Lee, I think). I couldn't hold it steady enough to get a good read so I mad an adapter to fasten it to my dial indicator holder (these are inexpensive and available from Enco, Grizly, etc). NOw all is steady and I can get an accurate measurement. Funny thing, though, I got the same reading from it as I did from my initial reading using a 10X loupe and my dial calipers.

rayg
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
You can go direct to CabinTree or Buffalo Arms sells them for the same price.

I just checked out the Cabin Tree site. www.castingstuff.com Pretty neat tool.
Looks like it would also work well for large ingots.
If I didn't have the Lee one already, I might consider it but I don't cast a great number of bullets so the Lee serves my purpose for now.
Also I tried the caliper way with the Lee and that works great also. I suppose I could try both the white out and the caliper ways to see how they compare. Ray

rayg
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Just a thought. Using the caliper method elimates the need for the telescope. For folks on a low budget it might be worth their while to see if Lee would sell the tester without the scope. If so, I'm sure that would bring down the cost considerable, Ray

mrbill2
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
This helps.