PDA

View Full Version : drip-o-matic solution

dragonrider
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
This is in response to DeanD's and Yonderling's posts in the "I wish someone made" thread. It is what I did to reduce the accumulation of drips from my old Lee lead pot. I drill a 1" hole in the base beneath the spout, I would place the pot so that the hole is beyond the edge of the spout and used clamps to hold it in place so as not to spill. Put a coffee can on the floor beneath the pot and drip would fall through the hole into the coffee can. The pics below are staged to show the relationship of pot and hole and can, the pot is empty and cold and also broke. The spout has partialy separated from the pot itself and is thus unusable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/th_IMG_0106.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/?action=view&current=IMG_0106.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/th_IMG_0104.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/?action=view&current=IMG_0104.jpg)
Maybe this will help.

abunaitoo
07-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Now why didn't I think of that.

JeffinNZ
07-14-2009, 11:35 PM
My solution was a big ass self tapper and a ladle. :-)

imashooter2
07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I still can't figure out why the occasional drip is a problem.

Doc_Stihl
07-15-2009, 07:52 AM

I second that.

pdawg_shooter
07-15-2009, 08:25 AM
My solution was a big ass self tapper and a ladle.
A BIG +1 on that. And I get better bullets with a ladle!

An Occasional drip would not matter, it is the steady drip to the point I have to clean up lead to get my mould under the spout that p***** me off!

dragonrider
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
This particular pot had a tendency to drip at a rate of about 1 per second. What I did was to keep the drips from piling up on the base, and they were easily contained and collected. My new 20 lb Lee pot seldom drips. IMHO the valve rod in Lee pots is just too small and light so I added weight to my new one. You can see that here on the Lower pot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/th_IMG_0107.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/?action=view&current=IMG_0107.jpg)
This helped and along with some light lapping of the valve I get almost no drips.
Pdawg and a couple others said "I still can't figure out why the occasional drip is a problem."
and they are right, an occaisional drip is not a problem, but the amount my old pot was dripping was a problem that would not stop no matter what I did. Also I have never used a petroleum or wax type flux in my new pot, only sawdust and IMHO this is the biggest reason for little to no dripping in my pot. My pot walls and bottom are clean with no buildup of any kind that is caused by various fluxes. Nothing to loosen up and get caught in the flow and possibly stuck in the valve.
Just saying this worked for me, not saying it is the definitive fix just and easy one to accomplish.

lifeon2
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
sometimes you just gotta take it apart and clean it it only takes about 15 minutes I usually do this 2 or 3 times a year no drip

Springfield
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
The drip can be a problem because it hits the previous drip and sometimes splatters and burns my arm.

winelover
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
:mrgreen:
The drip can be a problem because it hits the previous drip and sometimes splatters and burns my arm.

Long sleeved shirt REQUIRED, preferably a welders jacket. That's why I cast outdoor's. A metal ashtray sits underneath my 20#er---it makes it easy to put the accumulated drips back in the pot!

Winelover:castmine:

shooterg
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Only time I use the %^&* spout is when emptying the pot to clean and change alloy. I've only been casting serious for a couple years and became a ladle guy after the first week !

leadman
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I put a Lee ingot mold under the spouts of my pots. If it drips enough to build up and splash just move another section of the mold under the spout.
When it is time to fill the pot again I remove the mold and flip it over on the top of the pot.

Works well for me.

turbo1889
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
The only thing I will use a Lee Bottom Leaker Pot for is a preheat pot mounted above a real bottom pore pot. Drips don't matter then.

yondering
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Dragonrider, thanks for the pictures. I like it!
What did you weight your valve rod with? I see it in the picture, but can't tell what it is. I was thinking about welding something to the top of the rod for weight, but yours looks pretty nice.

The can underneath would also be insurance against the times (which I've only read about) when the pot drips uncontrollably and drains the whole pot on the floor.

For whoever commented about the occasional drip, I don't mind the occasional drip either. It's not a big deal, but the little splashes of lead everywhere are annoying, just an inconvenience really. If it didn't splash when it dripped I wouldn't mind it at all.

Shiloh
07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I weighted the handle. The drip is a minor inconvenience.

Shiloh

missionary5155
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Good afternoon
I rescently decided it was time to STOP the DRIP as mine was becoming a real steady drip.
Following the advice of two fellers here I lapped the spigot in the inner spout and added 4 vise smashed (to the diameter of the origonal handle weight) .73 lead balls. These were drilled after being crunched and added to the handle above the origonal weight.
Monday morning I need to cast up some boolits and happilly ran 30 pounds of WW with less than a teaspoon of drips through the whole process. Took me 1 hour to do the whole process and sure was worth the time.
Pot #2 has the weights added and will get lapped next time I need to cast with LINO.

dragonrider
07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Just a piece of 3/4" diameter steel about 3" long, drilled a hole .001" smaller than the valve rod diameter and pressed it on.

alor_swe
07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I had problems with the lee ten pound pot leaking. When I took it apart I noticed that the inner pot had slid down in the heat coil causing the the stopper to be too short.
I fixed this by pulling the pot up a bit in the coil then I welded on some metal on so the pot couldn't slide down again.
Another tip is to smooth off the end of the stopper and the inside of the spout.

oldhickory
07-17-2009, 03:06 PM
My solution was a big ass self tapper and a ladle. :-)

I used a roofing nail.:redneck:

Rockchucker
07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I put an ingot mold under the spout to catch the drip while I'm pouring lead. Mine drips some, but not bad.

Springfield
07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I cured my LEE drip by buying a Magma. It wasn't really a bit deal, just annoying, and any annoyance I can get rid of I do.

Mike W1
07-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Hopefully I can attach a picture here. Drips don't really bother me that much since I welded a handle on the top of the plunger rod. Easy to turn as I always have gloves on anyhow. The drips that do accumulate are pushed into the little catch box again with the gloved hand and are easily added to the melt when I get ready to flux. Had a piece of aluminum bent and it's spaced to get my Lyman moulds up to proper pour height for the way I pour. Being smooth it's easy to place the mould where I want it and the curved edge makes it easy to sweep into the catch box. Note also the warming shelf also made out of aluminum for preheating.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1606.jpg

dragonrider
07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Mike W1, Nice setup,

Bloodman14
08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I put my Lee pot in a 9X13 aluminum cake pan; when it drips, I just scrape the drips away, and scoop them up, along with the sprues that I dump into the pan. Any spatters are contained in the pan.

shotman
08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
I fixed mine. Then unfixed it. I set the mold on the plate and let lead fall in. I get good fill out . The drip is a marker.I know where to set mold. just move the half dime size drip with mold and keep on keeping on

jimkim
08-12-2009, 04:23 AM
:mrgreen:

Long sleeved shirt REQUIRED, preferably a welders jacket. That's why I cast outdoor's. A metal ashtray sits underneath my 20#er---it makes it easy to put the accumulated drips back in the pot!

Winelover:castmine:

I wear a heavy canvas field jacket and welding gloves when I cast. That fixed the "getting burned" thing. I also wear a pair of old cotton jogging pants over my other pants, that keeps the lead from splashing on any good clothes. I only cast when it's cool.

Shepherd2
08-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I sold my Lee drip-o-matic and bought a used Lyman Mag 20. That constant, uncontrollable drip stopped instantly.

cajun shooter
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
The best way to stop the Lee Drip is called RCBS PRO MELT for bottom pour
The next step if you want to laddle pour is called WAGGE

cheese1566
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I feel fortunate that I don't have that problem at this time. I do have several large steel washers hanging on the wood handle of my Lee 20 prod pot, keep the melt clean, and constantly spin the rod. I do get the occassional drip when coming to working temp (which once was a gusher-thank goodness I had a mini loaf pan underneath).

My problem is the spout plugging up with cool lead when I add my sprue cuts and defunt casts back into the melt-or add more ingots=cooling the entire pot down.

timkelley
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
+1 for the ingot mold, just dump it back every once in a while.

moses
08-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Mine drips very little, but no matter how I adjust it, it pours the same amount when I am filling molds (way too fast) until the pot gets below half full and then it comes out the speed I need it it to. Is anyones Lee pot actually adjustable?
I can't figure out how turning the screw could actually change the pour amount/speed.

shotman
08-13-2009, 03:43 AM
you can adjust the flow to a point. As you said the amount in the pot will effect it also. I just found that I got it set for a good pour on a 30cal then make a little mess with a 22 cal and turn heat up for a 45cal

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 01:42 PM
did any one notice the slot in the rod is for a screw driver to turn the rod stops the drip.or as others say put weight on or put a spring on the handle.I als have a $15 voltage control on pot it adjusts the temp and keeps it steady,no on, off, on, off.:coffee:[smilie=1:

SuperBlazingSabots
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I added more weight by just clamping a 3" vise grip on the top screw to add more weight and bingo it helped.
Ajay
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

wallenba
08-25-2009, 08:43 AM
I second that. Three

bertus
09-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I solved my dripping problem like this:

I have a lee pro 4-20 wich dripped quite heavilly.

I took off the valve arm assembly, took out the bolt tapped it to M5 we over here are metric minded put a bolt through it drilled a block of wood with a wood drill poured in a certain metal,( no prizes for guessing what metal) drilled that block tapped it put in on the bolt and the drips are over.
photo`s of the block wich is about an inch long and drill bit are included.

Oscar

JSnover
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
My problem is the spout plugging up with cool lead when I add my sprue cuts and defunt casts back into the melt-or add more ingots=cooling the entire pot down.

Easiest fix for that is a butane lighter. Takes the chill off your spout in about 10 seconds.