PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-Melt half price

Char-Gar
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I just noticed Midway has the RCBS pro-melt on clearance for half price. They have two left at the time of this posting.

dromia
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Now that is a bargain not to be missed.

Matt_G
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Note that the one on sale is a third off, not half.
Still a heck of a deal.

Also note that it is the 220 Volt model.
Not the 110 volt.

Just thought I should point that out. :)

Hip's Ax
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Looks like its the 220v model that is on clearance.

runfiverun
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
220 would be more efficient.

felix
07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Not in terms of power cost. In terms of dedicated wiring cost to power the unit, yes indeed. ... felix

lead Foot
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
We have 240v mains power in Australia so it would just perfect here:mrgreen:
Lead foot;

alamogunr
07-21-2009, 11:57 PM
There is only one left now. I bought one and it was delivered today. It has the 2 round prong plug that is used in Europe(and maybe other places). I'm planning to change the plug to a regular 220V plug. Does anyone know if the lead is 3 wire? How do Europeans ground their appliances? I would like to know before I cut the existing plug off.

I already had a separate 220V circuit for my table saw and thought this would be my best chance for a good(not Lee) bottom pour pot. I will never use the saw and pot at the same time anyway.

John
W.TN

lylejb
07-22-2009, 12:35 AM
John,

would you post a picture of that plug, please:bigsmyl2:

i've been wondering what the 220v model looks like. I saw a note, if i remember right, on midway about a Lee pot, that the 220v model wont work in north america. I'm thinking BS, cut the plug off, or get an adapter.

Thanks,

LB

shotman
07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
The 2 prone round dont have ground. you can add 3rd wire to pot but not really a problem if you are not in a damp place. Radio Shak has the converter plug. I would cut it off and use the 220 that looks like _ _ that is like a AC unit
!

defib
07-22-2009, 01:29 AM
cant you buy a travel adapter

lead Foot
07-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Alamogunr;
The international code for flex cable is - (Brown positive+) (Blue Negative -) and (Green earth):idea:
Lead foot;

lathesmith
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=
I already had a separate 220V circuit for my table saw and thought this would be my best chance for a good(not Lee) bottom pour pot. I will never use the saw and pot at the same time anyway.

John
W.TN[/QUOTE]

alamogunr, you mean you can't rip boards and cast lead at the same time? Now that WOULD be interesting...[smilie=1:

I believe power in Europe is 50hz and not 60hz...you should still be able to use some kind of travel adaptor or just replace the plug, but be aware that it won't work quite the same.
lathesmith

alamogunr
07-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I believe power in Europe is 50hz and not 60hz...you should still be able to use some kind of travel adaptor or just replace the plug, but be aware that it won't work quite the same.
lathesmith

As someone on the CB-L pointed out, the frequency difference won't be a factor in a resistance application. It would be if it was a motor or transformer. Volts is Volts in this case. I just talked to a person at RCBS and they offered to send me a spare cord. He also told me that the cord is 3 wire including the ground. The European plug on the end has only two prongs w/o a ground prong. There is some kind of metal tab flush with the face of the plug that may serve as ground in the European electrical system. I'm going to Lowe's or an electrical supplier and get a plug to mate with the extension cord I use with the saw and wire it in.

I can only add to the complements many here have made about RCBS customer service. It is great! No charge for the spare cord even though I am not applying the product exactly as intended.

John
W.TN

Springfield
07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a 220 RCBS pot, it works fine.

alamogunr
07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
John,

would you post a picture of that plug, please:bigsmyl2:

i've been wondering what the 220v model looks like. I saw a note, if i remember right, on midway about a Lee pot, that the 220v model wont work in north america. I'm thinking BS, cut the plug off, or get an adapter.

Thanks,

LB

I have never posted a picture here. Not sure how.

I was wrong about "no ground". The plug has a round hole where our ground prong would be. I assume that there is a mating prong on the receptacle.
Go to this site and scroll down to "Type E". The plug shown is exactly like the one on the 220V RCBS pot:

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

John
W.TN

alamogunr
07-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a 220 RCBS pot, it works fine.

I fired the pot up today and found that my 1-2 lb round biscuits don't fit the pot too well. The heating element is apparently located about 1-1½ inches above the bottom. If the ingots don't contact the wall very well at that level, it takes quite a while to get them melted. Is this your experience? I don't expect this to be a problem if I leave at least 2" of alloy in the pot.

Once I got it up to temperature, at least all melted, it poured well. I checked the temperature with a thermometer and it seems that the thermostat is off about 40º or more. Have you checked your thermostat against a thermometer?

Almost forgot! I got a replacement plug at Lowe's and replaced the European plug. 240 V plugs aren't cheap like the 110V. Cost $7.

John
W.TN

Matt_G
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
I checked the temperature with a thermometer and it seems that the thermostat is off about 40º or more. Have you checked your thermostat against a thermometer?

Mine is a 110 volt model and is about 15 years old. It too is off by about 40 degrees. However it is repeatable and holds temp well. (Checked against a thermometer)