PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Pistolero
07-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Hi Guys,

I am planning on a percussion muzzeloading rifle, I think in .58 but am not sure. I have experience with black powder revolver (I have a .44 Dragoon), But no real exposure to black powder rifle.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Type of rifle - accesories I need?

I have a preference for the 1861 Springfield or 1853 Enfield in .58

Thanks fellas!:cbpour:

Marlinreloader
07-14-2009, 04:45 AM
If you need any molds for the .58 or .50 cal I have some for trade or sell in the Swape & Trade section.

Marlinreloader

waksupi
07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Well, I'm personally a flintlock junkie, but each to his own.

I would really suggest a .54 caliber, as being a good balance between recoil, and power.

docone31
07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
.54 is good, and all around ball. I like .50. Less lead in the casting, good all around performance. I got the Cabelas Hawken Wannabe. A reasonably good all around front stuffer. The twist is 1/48 so it fires ball, and R.E.A.L.s to the same point. I have gone up to 120gns with it, but spend most of my time around 60-70gns.
A good fitting, easy to maintain rifle.
If I were to do it again, I would get the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Closer to the real deal.
Welcome to the insanity!

59sharps
07-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I like the springfield over the enfield for the stock (not streight like the enfield) fits me better. I like the rear sight better on the enfield its a long range sight. (the springfield has 3 leafs] you will need to work the sight to shoot 100yrds. w/ the springfield you can get a little windage out of the rear sight by loosening it and taping it over. w/ the enfield to will need to fill the V and recut it. or if you do the front sight to be on at 100 yrds you can move it over when doing the elevation.
A lot of the N-SSA guys dovetail the front and put a higher sight on [skirmishing sight] then once its set they soider it in place and contore it to the barrel.
for a target load I use a hodgen bullet w/ 38 grn 3fffg swiss or 42 of goex 3fffg. most guys can find something between 38-48 of 3fffg.
Note: I do not shoot beyond 100yrs. So I never had to work up a heavier load. 68 grn of musket powder was the milatery load if i remember correctly

Rio Grande
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Get you one of the first Parker-Hale Enfield repros made in England. Not the later ones made in Italy w/ the Parker-Hale name.
Hard to find, but well worth the search.
Wonderful rifles.
http://www.lrml.org/parkerhale/rifles.htm