PDA

View Full Version : Uh-o

burch
07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I`m trying out a new set up with a turkey fryer and it works pretty good except for one thing. I placed my mould on top with my ladle for a warm up while the lead was melting. I cast one set of bullets and while tapping the sprue plate my handles broke at the screws that hold the mould on. I let the mould cool down for inspection and notice the mould had turned blued in some spots. I`m guessing from over heating. I`ll have to replace my handles but did I screw up my mould blocks ?

Burch

Hardcast416taylor
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Was the mold aluminum or steel? Whichever it is it shouldn`t have been so near the high flame to "temper color" the metal. I dip a corner of my moulds into the melted lead for a count of 25 then start casting. Why were you hitting on the sprue plate, that is a no-no! I`m afraid if the mould broke at the screws there isn`t alot can be done as far as using it with handles. Robert

theperfessor
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Steel molds will heat blue at normal casting temperatures. Even the steel alignment pins I press in my aluminum molds will heat blue. I recently rebuilt an old 3 cavity 158 gr .357 RN mold and made a new sprue plate for it. The sprue plate (made from 01 tool steel, hardened and ground) heat blued during normal use except at the end that projects out past the mold. It is normal!

I hope your handles broke and not your mold. If its just the handles they can be replaced easily enough. If the mold broke it still might be salvageable. A machinist can mill a vertical notch through the broken section and tap a couple of holes on either side of it on the top and bottom (above and below the handle slot) and make a couple of replacement pieces to bolt in place from the side. Drill the handle pin hole through the pieces after they are bolted in place and you're back in business.

Ugly but effective.

burch
07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
The mould is a Lyman and I was tapping the sprue handle that cuts the base of the bullet.

sundog
07-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Hold the mould up to a bright light (sun) with sprue plate open and look into the cavities. Very little or no light should be seen between the block halves. No light preferable.

theperfessor
07-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Lyman molds are steel and heating them up to casting temps won't hurt them a bit. Many people cut their sprues with a push of a gloved hand instead of using a mallet, but many don't and you weren't doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.

I use Bullplate lube and cut sprues with hand just as sprue freezes. Bullplate prevents smearing lead on top of block and sprue plate and lets you speed up casting rate.

It does take more force to cut cold sprues and this of course puts more stress on all parts involved but it shouldn't hurt a normal mold. Sounds like your handles that broke (I assume it was handles) were ready to go. I've broken several sets of cast steel handles but never Lee handles (or my own home-made ones), which are made from steel plate.

burch
07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Is there a different brand of handles I can use for my two cavity or will I have to buy the Lyman`s ? Also who has the best prices on handles ?

Burch :redneck:

45nut
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
2 cavity?

winelover
07-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Is there a different brand of handles I can use for my two cavity or will I have to buy the Lyman`s ? Also who has the best prices on handles ?

Burch :redneck:

My RCBS handles fit on the one and only lyman mould I own (429667) but I since purchased a set of Cabine Locking mould handles that will fit on a whole slew of different mfg's moulds! Their more expensive but well worth the extra $ plus their AVAILABLE!!!!!!!! There is a link on this site's homepage or you can get them from Bullalo Arm's in Idaho as I did.

Winelover

Echo
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Sorry about your debacle - hope everything turns out OK, as I'm sure it will, after some heartache.

And Red River Rick, a poster on this board makes dang good handles, which reminds me - I need to order another set form him. Dang good, and reasonably priced.

DLCTEX
07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
+1 for Red River Rick's handles. You will never break them. Are the broken handles the Aluminum alloy ones, or cast steel? If they are steel, Buckshot recently posted fix for that handle. I don't remember which thread, but a search should turn it up.

GLL
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
See Red River Rick's handles. They are the VERY best available !

Very quick delivery from Canada as well.

Jerry

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=598859

montana_charlie
07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Red River Rick makes and sells lots of things. See 'em all here...
http://kal.castpics.net/

CM

captaint
07-13-2009, 02:30 PM
++1 on Red River Rick's handles. Got a set for 6 cav Lee molds a while back. Real Nice!!!Enjoy Mike

leadman
07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Just looked at Rick's site. Looks like real fine stuff.

imashooter2
07-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Turkey fryers are great for smelting, but that's a lot of heat for casting. I suspect that overheating everything will be a continuing problem.