PDA

View Full Version : Might Find This Amusing

Whitespider
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
On my shooting range I use lengths of log (usually oak) as backstops, a log about 2-feet in diameter and about 20-inches long lasts a long time. I set the log on a stand, flat (cut) end facing toward the shooter and paint the face white. I paint my steel swinging targets black, and when placed in front of the white faced logs I get high definition targets under all light conditions. I can swing the steel out of the way and place paper target in front of the logs during load testing and sight-in.

Well I had to replace my 25-yard log a couple weeks ago, it was so chewed up I couldn’t paint the face anymore. Yesterday I was splitting some wood (with a gas-powered splitter) for burning in the outdoor fire pit, and grabbed the old 25-yard log. As I’m splitting it the lead just started raining from it, boolits of all types and sizes (it had been the 25-yard log for over 15-years). I ended up splitting it into smaller pieces than I normally would so I could retrieve as much of the lead possible. I needed a small plastic bucket to put all the lead in, it weighed over 30-pounds when I finished!!!

I thought that log seemed a bit heavy when I picked it up.

JohnH
07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I did that for several years, just stapled my target to the face of the log. Logs only lasted about 3 months that way. I would then just burn them in a pile outside and collet the lead out of the ash and coals. Finally got a load of dirt and made a more proper backstop. You may want to read some about the ply wood boxes filled with rubber mulch some here are using. A nice idea.

JeffinNZ
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Now if you were real clever you would rig up your log fire so as the wood burned the lead smelted off and poured into ingots. One stop shop. Work on that one.

leadman
07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I think he ought to go one better and have it go into the moulds.

snaggdit
07-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the carbon would flux it, build yourself a bottom pour into your wood stove! The sad thing about this addiction is I started to think about how you could do it!

Slow Elk 45/70
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
A man can never have enough clever friends , to help out[smilie=1:

beagle
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Interesting fact about the old days of the pioneers. When they held a shooting match with their flintlocks, they used a stump for a backstop/target holder.

One of the prizes for the overall match was the stump. I guess even in those days, there were lead scroungers./beagle

Trey45
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I've been shooting into a pithy deadfall out in the swamp for a while, eventually I'm going to bring that section of it home with me and get the lead out!

303Guy
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
The sad thing about this addiction is I started to think about how you could do it!Me too!:mrgreen:

JeffinNZ
07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Interesting fact about the old days of the pioneers. When they held a shooting match with their flintlocks, they used a stump for a backstop/target holder.

One of the prizes for the overall match was the stump. I guess even in those days, there were lead scroungers./beagle

I just KNEW I was born 200 years too late!