PDA

View Full Version : Growing boolits

sundog
07-11-2009, 05:25 PM
well, we've batted this around enough for how long?

Today, Beeman's son was supposed to shoot the mil bolt match with the rifle/ammo my GS usually uses (03A3 with 311291). I load up and go to the range. Match starts and B's son is BIG having trouble, even though he is a experienced shooter. Wut-da-hey? Well after after hammering the bolt open with my ice beater (3" dia cherry log about a foot long for clearing/bumping ice off the Jeep in winter) we load try to laod another and it won't go. I don't load stuff what won't work, so during the break between group and score targets we take a knife edge to the break on the ogive. It was hard enough to "chip" off. Just a guess, but I load for that rifle so the bolt cams down. Onliest problem is that these loads were from Nov 07 and more than likely WQ with something with antimony content. They were hard -- and apparently they were sitting there 'growing'. Really hard. Neat thing is that B's son shot some purdy good score targets for his first time to join us (young eyes ! ). Two things. As long as the base is good, a reasonably well loaded round will 'shoot' and boolits grow depending on alloy.

B's son had a good time, B had a good time, I had a good time, but man was it HOT. Rain a few days ago, and I bet by the time we finished it was near 100dF with 90+% humdidity. I don't even want to go outside right now.

Good time was had by all ! ! !

The Dove
07-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Would you please send some of that rain to Hinton????

The Dove

Freightman
07-11-2009, 06:53 PM
It is 103 here and the last rain we had steamed off in the sunset, dry, hot, but not humid thankfully.

RayinNH
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Sundog, you're not using ****** in that Felix Lube are you? ;)...Ray

DLCTEX
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
The heat expanded them!:mrgreen:

BeeMan
07-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Sundog, thanks again for the generous loan and help sorting out the problem. If Son#1 wasn't heading to back to school, we would have another regular at the match. He has already blocked the date for the August match.

Those boolits were HARD and just a smidgeon too big today. I wondered what accuracy would be left after we tweaked your finely crafted loads with our 'lathe' work. The target answered that question.

Nothing like a match with friends, folks.

felix
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
******? You bet, we cheat whenever we can. ... 104 in the shade at 4:00; swimming pool water rose from 80.5 to 87 in the last couple of days. My pool is used as an A/C sump (Geothermal) and rises 3 degrees when the machines cycle for 12 hours. Normally, but not now, the pool will loose 3 degrees overnight, provided the machines do not kick on for any significant time. They are used in support of 7 tons of standard air cooled Freon systems. 73 degrees maintained througout 3600 sq ft. Pool is 27,500 gallons. ... felix

SciFiJim
07-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Temporary :hijack:. Felix, rig a sprinkler head on the return line to your pool. Have the water spray into your pool like a fountain. The water will cool some while airborne and cool your pool. My pool is like bathwater by this time of year unless I do something like this.

The Dove
10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Allright Sundog,,,,,, enough is enough.... Take the rain away!! HAHAHA

It's so freakin wet here now a minnow would drown.

The Dove