PDA

View Full Version : double lubing??

XWrench3
07-11-2009, 10:58 AM
has anyone done this? first, lube in a lubrisizer, or pan lube, than lee liquid allox lube them. i dont have much experience (which shows) and i am trying to learn, so please dont burn me. i am just curious. is it a waste of time and money? overkill? or good ju-ju?
:Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire: you just gotta love this little guy!

hiram
07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Pan lubing or sizer lubing would fill the grooves with lube. I don't think there would be much room for LLA.

imashooter2
07-11-2009, 11:33 AM
LLA isn't intended to fill the grooves. It coats the entire boolit with a light coating of lubricant.

I've never done it, but have read where others have. As I recall it most of the accounts were attempts to lessen leading with store bought lead. I don't remember a lot of success reported.

mooman76
07-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I would say usually not neccissary and overkill but someone else on another board bought some cast bullets and was getting a small amount of leading which bugged him. He was going to melt them down but I suggested he try throwiing some LLA on them as a why not give it a try and he didn't have leadiing after that.

fredj338
07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Waste of time IMO. A good lube, proper bullet sizing will prevent most leading. For nose riding bullets there could be some advantage, but typical bullets, just lube/size & shoot.

Larry Gibson
07-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Exception to "wasting time" is the double lubing of commercial cast bullets that are already lubed with a hard wax lube (questional on the "lube" with whatever most of them use). That lube being the first and an application of LLA most often prevents the leading that occurs with most commercial cast bullets, especially handgun bullets. A little time spent up front relubing them with LLA saves much more time on the back end tring to clean the lead out.

Larry Gibson

Rocky Raab
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Agree. Properly cast and lubed HOME bullets are one thing, but commercial cast bullets are something very different.

Keep firmly in mind that commercial bullets and their lubes are rock-hard for one reason only - to ship better. Shooting qualities are probably secondary at best. Applying an LLA overcoat to them is neither a waste of time or unnecessary.

RU shooter
07-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I must be special then I need to double lube for one boolit I shoot its the Lee 155-312 in my 03A3 That lube grove is not very big at all and I get some leading near the muzzle after a rapid fire 10 shot string.I give them a light wash of cut LLA and no leading for a 58 rd match. It maybe that the Lee155 has alot of bearing surface compaired to a "normal" bore ride design.

HeavyMetal
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
"waste of time" becomes a call only you can make!

With boolits that are giving you leading issues an additional coating of LLA will help you dertermine if your problem is a lube issue or not. If the leading goes "away" after a coating of LLA then you need to change lubes.

Double lubing in an attempt to "gain" some unseen or unknown advantage? A lot of this casting stuff is "trail and error" and lubing runs right up there with boolit diameter, alloy content, Star versus Lyman.. I think you get my drift.

If you don't try it you'll never know and once you try it you'll be the "expert" that can tell everyone else: Been there Done that!

Let us know what you do.

243winxb
07-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Just double lubed 5 weeks ago as a test. Lyman 450 50/50 bees wax/alox. Then Xlox treated. Never did have a leading problem, still dont.(Leading to me is a loss of accuracy) Wanted to see if all fouling could be eliminated.The bore still looked about the same, shot the same. 44mag. Handgun. Click for larger photo. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/th_IMG_3306B.jpg (http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/IMG_3306B.jpg)

runfiverun
07-11-2009, 08:07 PM
i wipe the bore riding nose on the wifes 7x57 rounds with the rcbs 145 silhouette boolit with a smear of lanolin,it fits well but it surely helped the groups.
one more thing to keep in the trick bag,it doesn't seem to matter if it's dry or still wet as long as the extra slip is on there.

crabo
07-11-2009, 11:21 PM
It can also tell you if your boolit design has a lube problem. I have also found it helps sometimes when you are breaking in a new gun, to lube regularly then add a little mule snot for the first few hundred rounds you shoot in that gun.

It made a big difference in my S&W PC 44.

leadman
07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I previously use a hard red lube on my cast boolits. With the 444 Marlin and a 310 gr Lee at 1,900fps in a 14 inch Contender I was getting alot of smoke and "debris" in the barrel.
I was moly coating jacketed then so I thought, what the heck. Moly coated the cast over top the hard red lube. Smoke and "debris" stopped.

WHITETAIL
07-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Yes, I do!
I give my boolets a bath in JPW first.
Then let them sit over night.
Then I lube them in a 450 Lyman.:redneck:

Heavy lead
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, I do!
I give my boolets a bath in JPW first.
Then let them sit over night.
Then I lube them in a 450 Lyman.:redneck:

+1, I did this on accident the first time with the Lyman 452460 and it worked so well in my 1911's I do it for all my acp boolits now. Something about the JPW, it just works.

Lloyd Smale
07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
its about the only time i use tumble lube anymore. When im pushing cast bullets past 2000fps i will lubesize conventional then tumble lube also. Ive shot 32 mag bullets sized down for a 3030 at over 2500fps without leading like that. Would it work as well without the tumble lube? I dont know but i guess it makes me feel good doing it because when i size down those bullets i loose a bit of lube capacity.

XWrench3
07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
what is JPW? johnsons paste wax??? if so, how do you give them a bath in it?? is it as good as lla? better? or just different? maybe there is a 3 lube coating in the future?!?

Slow Elk 45/70
07-13-2009, 12:18 PM
If your using mule snot , some folks lube the boolits, then size them and lube again to be sure the driving bands and lube groves are coated after the sizing process which can alter the lube groves.

thebigmac
07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
HEY 243 (#10) RECOUNT YOUR X"s. I THINK THERE ARE SIX (6)....

nonferrous
07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I would give him 6 as well.

snaggdit
07-13-2009, 11:58 PM
As they say, push a unfired round in the hole. If it breaks the line you got it. Looks like it would be six.

hammerhead357
07-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Well I would go with 6x myself but sort of hard to tell. Still good shooting....Wes