PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 question

Rockchucker
07-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I just received this lube/sizer yesterday so I very new to this operation, so here's my question.

I've got the press mounted sturdy out in my shop, The sizing die went right in and screwed in the large nut, then put the top punch in that fits the style boolit. I took off the lube cap and dropped in a tube of magic orange and plugged in the heater for 30 minutes. After that I lubed a boolit by hand it in the press, pumped up the pressure on the lube until it was very tight then pulled the handle and no lube in the grooves but lube under the boolit everywhere. I tried adjusting the Push rod under the press and the instructions are terrible that came with the lube/sizer, can someone with experience help me out with this problem. I'm going out this am with some buds to the range and will be back after lunch with more info if needed.

Thanks, Ron

cheese1566
07-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Keep trying the adjustment on the rod. If no lube in the groves, the bullet is not going down far enough. Also, keep pressure on the downward stroke, especially when lubing the grooves on the end stroke; this will help keep lube from squirting under the die rod and bullet. Try to keep the lube pressure to a minimum at first until you get the feel. Warm lube and too much pressure will make it leak every not intended to go.

If all else fails, check the sizing die to make the side holes aren't plugged.

My thoughts.

07-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, sounds as if the boolit isn't enter the sizing die far enough. Screw the rod down a bit till lube fills the grooves. You'll get there.

geargnasher
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I always measure the depth of my lube die holes, then the lube grooves in the boolit to set how deep the boolit goes into the die. Try for "center of mass" between the lube grooves for multiple groove boolit and line up the little lube holes in the die directly with the groove on single-grooove boolits.

For 1-2 groove boolits, I bottom the boolit against the stop (as set above), THEN pull on the piston screw wrench about 5 degrees (your milage will vary) while holding the handle down firmly, THEN I release the handle up and remove the boolit. If you don't hold it down lube can squeeze under the boolit. For Loverin-style or multi-groove boolits you kinda have to turn the piston screw AS you raise the handle, applying pressure the whole way up Set these up so the lube holes dispense exactly into the top lube groove, so all grooves will move past the holes on the way up and get filled. Some other folks may have better advice, I chunked my instructions years ago and just figured out a way that works for me.

Gear

Blammer
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
bullet is down far enough for the FIRST lube hole at the base of the bullet, it's pushing lube between teh bottom of the plunger and the boolit. As stated earlier, adjust so boolit goes down farther, should be no more problems.

When the lube is soft a quicker stroke helps.

Rockchucker
07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Doesn't the top punch push the bullet down as far as it goes? My top punch pushes the bullet down until it touches the die. How woulg you seat it any futher?

07-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Depends on where the sizer die holes are in relation to the lube grooves. Does the die have two holes per vertical set or four?

Also, there may not be enough lube in the sizer chamber and sizer die.

Run a boolit down into the sizer die, maintain downward pressure on the handle and turn the wrench till you feel pressure build up. Raise the handle and check for lube. You may have to do this a couple times till the sizer die has enough lube in it.

454PB
07-11-2009, 10:20 PM
The nose punch should be small enough to enter the sizing die.

There is no good reason to apply lube pressure until the boolit is fully bottomed inside the sizing die.

geargnasher
07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Doesn't the top punch push the bullet down as far as it goes? My top punch pushes the bullet down until it touches the die. How woulg you seat it any futher?

First, no. Sounds like you have the wrong top punch and can't get the boolit deep enough into the sizer to align lube grooves with lube holes, so the lube pushes between the bottom punch and the boolit base.

Second, +1 on what PB454 said, the top punch should be the correct size to enter the sizing die and keep the boolit aligned. Although you would seldom need to set it that far, the top punch should be able to bottom its shoulder on the sizer.

Gear

Rockchucker
07-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I tried a different top punch and that seemed to fix the problem with not getting lube in the grooves, however it seems now to push the bullet down past the holes in the die and getting lube on the nose of the bullet. I know I'll get use to this sizer and all the different adjustments, but it's not coming natural but I'm getting there. Thanks for all the help guys.

10mmShooter
07-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Rockchuncker,

sounds like you are going too far in..... :( just find the happily median in between.

also you didnt mention the style of bullet you are lubing or the lube, or if its heated, these variables will also effect your lubing, bevel base bullets will always be a bit of a challenge the bevel will allow leakage of lube under the bullet as you push it out on the upstroke. Through trail and error, I finally figured my 4500 out... I do prefer the heated harder lubes, harder lubes as they are more managable for me. The harder lube seems to be a bit easier to control and respond to pressure or lack of pressure better than the soft mushy lubes.

And being harder to flow the lube doesnt ooze

07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Rockchucker,

Okay, you're almost there, run the rod up till the lube is no higher than the top groove.

Remember, too, that you'll have to make adjustments for each boolit design. And, as you've discovered, the right top punch plays a major role -- it may be the correct shape for the nose, but it needs to be small enough to fit inside the sizer die. One size doesn't not fit all...

Rockchucker
07-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Right now I'm using Orange Magic with the heat on. It still seems to be a little messy and thought I'd try some harder lubes like mentioned above. There is a thread going on now about the same as this one and I'm learning alot on both and appreciate all the advice. Is there any reason why I can't refill the lube reservoir with new lube while there is still some of the older lube still in? This 4500 seems to be a well built machine, but d..m, the instructions on the operation of this sizer is not there. It's people that have tried themselfs and have the experence that helps people like me the most. Thanks, Ron.

Maven
07-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Rockchucker, If the Orange magic (hard lube) is a little messy, you're using too much heat. I.e., use only enough heat to allow it to flow rather than melt, which means turning the heat off and on as necessary. And yes, there's no reason you can't add another stick or another kind of lube on top of what's already in the reservoir.

HeavyMetal
07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
What I learned when I got my first Lyman 45:
You do not want pressure on the lube in the reservoir until you have a boolit in the sizing die. This means adjust until you just feel a bit of resistance on the handle and then stop!

Now run your boolit into the die until it stops and then, while the boolit is sitting at the bottom of the stroke, turn the handle on the lube until you get lube in the boolit groove. Keep some pressure on the handle so the lube dosen't raise the boolit up and get under it!

Once set up correctly you should run a boolit in, twist the handle about an 1/8th of a turn or so and then raise the boolit out of the sizer.

If you had the heater on for to long the lube may be to soft and any pressure will make it run like a garden hose, this is not what you want!

Some heater's have temperature control and some are strictly on and off. Rule of thumb with heater's if the sizer is warm to the touch your usually good to go. Each set up is a little different so play with it as needed!

As to adding lube to the machine? Yes you can do it at any time provided you have room to add! If you try to add a full stick to a half full machine you will not have any fun closing it back up. Be prepared to cut lube sticks up to fit!

Rockchucker
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I'm ordering some Carnauba Red lube shortly as I've heard this lube is very hard and not sticky. The orange magic would be fine after I get the heat adjusted, but I don't have much left and want to try the red lube. Thanks for all the replys and hope not all my questions aren't to stupid.

JDFuchs
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
that happens to me about every other time i put in a diffrent die or add to much presure. Make sure to get the bullet deep enough. My smaller ones have to go well past the top of the bullet into the die. It just takes a feel for it. Since you just clear off the lube and melt it back in it dosent matter so much.