PDA

View Full Version : Lead hardness tester

stubshaft
07-11-2009, 03:12 AM
I finally broke down after 20+ years of casting and bought a lead hardness tester. After reading the various threads on this site I decided to buy the tester from Cabine Tree.

IT works too well! It is so fast, easy and above all repeatable that I was able to test the hardness of my various cast boolits and ingots that I had lying around in less than half an hour.

Now what do I do???

What a great tool...:bigsmyl2:

hammerhead357
07-11-2009, 03:25 AM
Send it to me to play with for a while!!!!!!!!Wes
Ok so I was only sort of joking......

odinohi
07-11-2009, 03:45 AM
I was just getting ready to ask some questions about hardness testers. Are they nessesary? The only one I have seen is the Saeco, its expensive. Is it worth the money? I'll google CabinTree and see what I can find out. Thanks, Tom

hammerhead357
07-11-2009, 04:13 AM
odinohi, from my limited experince forget the Saeco. Get the CabinTree or an LBT. I currantly don't have any of them but I used the Saeco several years ago and was not impressed. I have never used the Lee tester but some report trouble reading the microscope on it. I would like to try one at some point.
I think the CabinTree is the way to go from what I have heard and learned here......Wes

murrayif
07-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Hello : I am looking for the addresses of the Cabin Tree and Buckshot hardness

testers ? I want to purchase one and would appreciate the contact info . murrayif

cjensen
07-11-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

stubshaft
07-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello : I am looking for the addresses of the Cabin Tree and Buckshot hardness

testers ? I want to purchase one and would appreciate the contact info . murrayif

Just go to the bottom of the page and click on "casting stuff"for Cabine Tree. Find Buckshot in the member list and send him a PM.

Dale53
07-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I have an LBT tester and have had it for several years. It works VERY well.

However, the Cabine Tree is more versatile and today, if I were buying one, I would buy the Cabine Tree tester.

FWIW
Dale53

Dan Carey
07-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I ordered a Cabine Tree on Friday.

For me, it will be able to tell me what the alloy is I have laying around the shop for the last 10 years.

cajun shooter
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
The tester sold by Gussy is the best piece of equipment you can buy. It's built like a tank and as has been said already it's fun! If you are buying one, purchase the combo tool as it can also be used to check run out on your finished ammo. This forum is lucky to have him as a member.

SWANEEDB
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Just got my CABINE TREE lead tester, ordered it on tues and it showed up at my door on fri. What a piece of equipment !, If you don't have one, you need one.

fredj338
07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I have had a Saeco for years & it's a well made piece of gear, but only usable w/ bullets. I wanted to test a bunch of ingots I had lying around so bought a Cabintree. It works very well, bullets or ingots. The price is reasonable so I have sold my Saeco @ quite a discount to Gary.

50calshooter
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Have a SaCEO and LBT forget the Saceo and if I had to do it over that Cabintree looks much better David

insanelupus
07-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Looks like the Cabin Tree has been highly recommended all over the place. All the research I've done shows the Cabin Tree to be the Cadillac. I've been using an older LBT I borrowed from a friend. My hardest alloy up to now (not counting the new Mystery alloy I bought and I'm trying to figure out what it is and how to use it) has been wheel weights. The LBT doesn't give very consistent results with the wheel weights or the stick on wheel weights I've been using to test it with. Harder alloys (WQ WW or WW/Linotype) a friend has tests much more consistently.

Does the Cabin Tree test well (and consistent) across the range of alloys from pure to uber hard? I know you have to look quick on the softer stuff and take the very first reading as the reading will change as the spring expands. But as long as it is consistent and repeatable I could live with that.

Also, my understanding is there is a reading taken on a machinists gauge which then is converted using a chart. Is it pretty easy to be consistent and sure of the conversions and resuslts? Or is there some room for error in the interpretation? Are the results a bracket of IDing the alloy, or can you establish a fairly consistent and accurate BHN?

Last but not least. How difficult is that "first touch" to establish and the turn the t handle exactly one turn?

As you can see, I've been doing some research and drooling over the insturctions on his web site. Just looking for some real world practical use types of feed back. And any hints or tricks for using the machine the first itme out of the box.

Thanks.

cajun shooter
07-19-2009, 09:10 AM
It's easy to use and set up, like I said in my first posting if you load rifle then buy the combo tool so that you can check run out. The Cabine tree is perfect from reading to reading. The first touch is easy as all I do is watch the dial and when it starts to move thaT IS MY STARTING POINT. Buy it if you don't like it(UNHEARD OF AMONG THIS FORUM) sell it.

shotman
07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
You may have to cut the rod that goes in the end of block that holds the dial indicator , I did but you can check ingots most dont do that

wallenba
07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
A recent thread on this subject had a great tip on using the Lee tester. The best way, and I've done it, is to use your dial caliper and some high magnification to measure the impression. I bought a set of cheap plastic loupes at harbor freight for about $5, this works much easier than trying to center the pencil scope that comes with the kit and a lot more light gets to the test area.