PDA

View Full Version : Pour type electric pot

30yrcaster
03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Hello,

Many years ago Saeco made a 20 lb furnace that you could pour ingots with and use a dipper. It had a handle on it and a pour spout. Does anyone currently make an electric pot/furnace that you can pour ingots with?

Thanks!!

Buckshot
03-22-2006, 03:15 AM
.................Yes, for a straight dipper furnace, but none with a lip for pouring directly out of the pot.

What'cha doin you'd need that? Pouring cannonballs :-)?

...............Buckshot

30yrcaster
03-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Like the post says, cast ingots.

Buckshot
03-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Like the post says, cast ingots.

.............You turning wild wheelwieghts and scrap into ingots?

.................Buckshot

30yrcaster
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I used to get telephone cable sheathing from a guy that worked at the phone company. He used to mold up the stuff in ingot molds 5 lbs each. I used to get each 5 lb piece for $1.00.

I got a 5 gal bucket full of linotype and 2 buckets of truck wheelweights all from the late 70's. Before I got the cable sheathing it took forever making ingots from scrap as I don't put any dirty lead into my pro-melts. I used a 4 lb pour pot from Cabelas. I tried once to use a RCBS 10 lb cast iron pot on a hot plate and the edges of the lead just started to melt. I never tried a coleman stove with that pot.

Buckshot, I got a question about your english rigby rifle you posted on another section of this website. How did you solder the "Drip Bar" to the barrel? I see you need one with that type of rifle but I can't find any doc on how to do it. Did you use silver solder? Propane torch or mapp gas or oxy/acl torch?

Thanks!!

shooter575
03-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Hello,

Many years ago Saeco made a 20 lb furnace that you could pour ingots with and use a dipper. It had a handle on it and a pour spout. Does anyone currently make an electric pot/furnace that you can pour ingots with?

Thanks!!

Is this what you are talking about?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/leadpot.jpg

Springfield
03-25-2006, 02:03 AM
I have one of those, but my element just burnt out and they don't make that pot anymore. Was thinking of getting an element from an electric stove and attach it to the bottom on the outside. Give me more room for lead and the wheelweight clips won't get stuck anymore. Either that or trade it for something I need.

steveb
03-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Is this what you are talking about?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/leadpot.jpg

I just got one of those a couple months ago out of the scrapyard for free. What is that in the center of the pot leading down toward the drian spout??? THE HOT 1 !!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/infernocologe.jpg

HILTS MOLDS is now owned by Dolphin Sports, I contacted them about elements(in case I ever need one) for the Hot 1 and heres the response I got. HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF US!

Try this company:
C.Palmer Mfg.
5 Palmer Rd.
West Newton, PA 15089
724-872-8200
(Fax) 724-872-8302

cpalmer@yukonwaltz.com
Regards,
Pamela Hart-Ford,
Hilts Molds

I am interested in knowing when these things were made because they are one heavy duty pot. We use it for rendering WW and to pour ingots. And just use the Lee pot when casting. Any info you guys may have on them I would appreciate it....Steve.:-D

30yrcaster
03-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Those pots were made in the early to mid 80's. I wanted to get one for making ingots but I just never got around to it. Wish I did. They weren't that expensive at the time either.

shooter575
03-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I have one of those, but my element just burnt out and they don't make that pot anymore. Was thinking of getting an element from an electric stove and attach it to the bottom on the outside. Give me more room for lead and the wheelweight clips won't get stuck anymore. Either that or trade it for something I need.

Springfield,you sure the element is burned out? Mine had a bad conection at the spade end with the wire.I had to rework that spade terminal.Not much room in that little iron box for fixen though.My first repair shorted.
You might be better off geting a "turkey fryier" and a big ol soup laddle .Picking out the clips out them elements would be a pain.

Buckshot
03-26-2006, 07:35 AM
...........30yrcaster, "Buckshot, I got a question about your english rigby rifle you posted on another section of this website. How did you solder the "Drip Bar" to the barrel? I see you need one with that type of rifle but I can't find any doc on how to do it. Did you use silver solder? Propane torch or mapp gas or oxy/acl torch?"

..................Propane torch/solder.

My questions as regards the pot was that I was sure (with a handle like 30yrcaster) you knew not to render down WW's and scrap in the pot you used for fasting slugs from. However I HAD to ask :-)

.................Buckshot

30yrcaster
03-26-2006, 09:56 AM
My questions as regards the pot was that I was sure (with a handle like 30yrcaster) you knew not to render down WW's and scrap in the pot you used for fasting slugs from. However I HAD to ask :-)
.Buckshot

Actually I started casting lead soldiers with my Dad in the early 60's and made my own fishing sinker molds when in high school. Having said that, I only know from my experiences and guys I've talked with. I'm always open to learn more and how others do things.

I had to learn the hard way about putting dirty lead into my first Lee bottom pour pot as there was no easily attainable doc on casting like our new casters have the benefit of the internet and wonderful forums like this one.

Nothing but clean alloy has gone into my promelts since the first day I got them and they don't DRIP!!

I wish I would have gotten one of those Hilts 20lb pots but at the time it was either molds or another pot and getting the lead in nice clean ingots at the time, the molds won.

robertbank
03-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey guys I am sure this has dawned on all of you too but here goes. I take all my wheelweights and put them in a cast iron pot and just melt them on me Coleman stove. Pour them into 1 lb ingots and I am good to go with my little Lee 10# pot. I wouldn't think about melting wheelweights in my bottom pour pot. To messy and getting all the clips out would be a pain.

Take Care

Bob

30yrcaster
03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey guys I am sure this has dawned on all of you too but here goes. I take all my wheelweights and put them in a cast iron pot and just melt them on me Coleman stove. Pour them into 1 lb ingots and I am good to go with my little Lee 10# pot. I wouldn't think about melting wheelweights in my bottom pour pot. To messy and getting all the clips out would be a pain.

Take Care

Bob

Bob,

How well does the coleman stove work getting them to melt in the cast iron pot? Is your coleman stove the white gas type or propane? We used to use one on our hunting trips and it took a while just to boil water.

I was always concerned about using the coleman stove to melt lead then use it to cook food. Maybe it doesn't make any difference but that was always in the back of my mind.

Thanks!!

carpetman
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
30yrcaster----Altitude can effect a Colemn stove,same way an auto has less power at high altitude. I have noticed it takes longer to boil water at higher altitude. I use the white gas type and they work fine at the altitudes Ive used em at for smelting. Once it starts melting it goes pretty fast. Leave some when you pour and when you add to it,it goes pretty fast. I only use a ten pound pot and it is easy to handle that with pliers. If you are concerned about the melting lead and cooking,Coleman stoves at a bargain price at garage sales is pretty common atleast here. Their portability where you can go outside to smelt is a plus.

StarMetal
03-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Carpetman,

It may take water longer to boil at higher altitude because maybe the heat source isn't performing as well as if it had more oxygen at a lower altitude. Actually water boils faster at less atmospheric pressure, thus higher altitude. More pressure raises the boiling point of water, take a look at the automobile radiator with it's pressure cap...to raise the boiling point. When I was in the Navy our 600 psi boilers raised the boiling point of water to just over 400 some degrees at that pressure. Grant you things that have combustion at high altitudes don't work as well as at lower altitudes. I've seen charcoal that would hardy burn up at high altitude in the Rocky Mtns in Colorado.

Joe

carpetman
03-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Starmetal---I wasnt addressing the boiling point of water at altitude---was addressing the efficiency of the Coleman stove at altitude. Despite a lower temperature being required to boil water,it takes longer because of the decreased efficiency of the stove. Footballs, for example are known to travel a longer distance at higher altitude so guess there is less resistance because of the thinner air. Yet automobiles go slower because of power loss. Guess smelting lead in a pressurized boiler with a Coleman stove would be a bad idea.

StarMetal
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Well lets address some of the issues. I knew what you meant, just was pointing that out about water's boiling point. As for cars, with the advent of computors they run alot better then when they had un-auto-adjustable carburators. But...still lose power. One thing that helps are turbo chargers.

As for pressurized lead...that's exactly what the first Russian nukie subs used. Insteand of heating water to make a power source, they heated lead, much as tho if it were water. I would imagine then the lead heated water to make steam. At any rate their system was very unsafe because of the radiation carried along in the molten lead because of the way they heated the lead. It must have been pretty direct with the fusion.

Joe

tomf52
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I used to get telephone cable sheathing from a guy that worked at the phone company. He used to mold up the stuff in ingot molds 5 lbs each. I used to get each 5 lb piece for $1.00.

I got a 5 gal bucket full of linotype and 2 buckets of truck wheelweights all from the late 70's. Before I got the cable sheathing it took forever making ingots from scrap as I don't put any dirty lead into my pro-melts. I used a 4 lb pour pot from Cabelas. I tried once to use a RCBS 10 lb cast iron pot on a hot plate and the edges of the lead just started to melt. I never tried a coleman stove with that pot.

Buckshot, I got a question about your english rigby rifle you posted on another section of this website. How did you solder the "Drip Bar" to the barrel? I see you need one with that type of rifle but I can't find any doc on how to do it. Did you use silver solder? Propane torch or mapp gas or oxy/acl torch?

Thanks!!

Thirtyyearcaster - I do my ingots with the ten pound RCBS pot and a Coleman stove. Works well. With the added help of a little top heat 9propane or Mapp gas torch or better yet a bid propane weed burner head on a 20 lb tank you can go like a house on fire.

robertbank
03-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi

To answer your question directly - not long. I have a pot that I guess would hold around 10 lbs to 15 lbs of lead, maybe a bit more. I fill it full of wheelweights and place on stove. I then help things along a bit with a propane torch. Just speeds up the process. Mine two colemans are the old white gas type. One bought new aboout 17 years ago and another bought used and it predates mine by a few years. Those old stoves last forever.

I do it outside on the patio. Just use an old tablespoon to pick out the clips and junk, skim the grud, flux a bit to ensure a good mix in the alloy and pour my ingots into one of those cheap Lee moulds. I have heard of guys doing in their electric furnaces but it seems to me to be a bit messy and the little Lee 10# pot I have would make for picking out the clips etc tedious to say the least.

Take Care

Springfield
04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Shooter; Yes, the element is burned out.I was in the middle of melting down some wheelweights(yes, the clips are a pain) when I got this bright flame coming out of the element. Looked like a small flare. I figure the tungsten element was burning or reacting to the hot lead. I also contacted Dolphin sprts, they gave me the same address as listed above. they no longet make the Hot 1, just a hot ll, so the element is no longer available. I usually use a turkey fryer to melt down my wheelweights when I do a big batch, but I can't do i in my backyard due to the smoke and smell. But I could do small batches with this pot and it wasn't so bad. As for the thing in the middle someone else was asking about, this thing is also a bottom pourpot, and that is the spigot.

Bucks Owin
04-09-2006, 10:20 AM

Take Care

Bob

I melt WWs in my old bottom pour Lee Production Pot without problems. The clips float to the top....

That said, I also have a Lyman cast iron pot I'm gonna start using...(If a Coleman stove will make enough heat to do it...)

FWIW,

Dennis

NVcurmudgeon
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
BucksOwin, your Coleman with an iron pot will do a great job of smelting. I use a Coleman and a twelve lb. Potter pot for all smelting and casting. About every twenty years your Coleman will fail to heat the alloy hot enough, and you will have to install a new generator. One fail-safe feature of the camp stove is that it is unlikely to get hot enough to melt zinc. Dirty used wheel weights are a real PITA to melt in a bottom pour furnace. The nozzle gets clogged easily, and it's hard to get all the clips to surface past the valve linkage.

Your handle reminds me of the recent loss of a great singer and my birthday buddy, Buck Owens.

robertbank
04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I am in the process of melting down 195 lbs of WW I got yesterday from Canadian Tire. FREE! Thought I died and gone to heavon - of course my back now feels like it has died! I use a propane torch to speed up the process as well Buck Owens, otherwise there is so much space between the WW it takes much longer to melt them down. Should last me until the fall then I'm going back to see if I can get another batch.

Locals here melt them down for fishing sinkers for Salmon fishing. Most places charge $15. to $25 per hundred lbs. for the WW.

Take Care

rmb721
04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I use a magnet to get the clips out.

Jon K
04-22-2006, 01:05 AM
30yrcaster,

Is this what you were talking about? It is a Saeco 20 lb electric pot w/spout grove.
I bought this one on Ebay.

Jon

Jon K
04-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Sorry, Having trouble uploading picture. File too large.

Jon

Wayne Smith
04-22-2006, 01:58 PM
I have the 20 lb. Lyman pot, Coleman propane gas stove at sea level, well, actually 23 ft. above mean sea level, and it melts the pot when it's full in less than 10 minutes. Clamp a vice grip on the edge and you have a handle for pouring.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-22-2006, 07:22 PM
You might want to check this thread out as well:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6385

If you pick up a turkey cooker used and already own a pot, you can certainly save yourself some time and headaches.

Regards,

Dave

454PB
04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Lee makes the Magnum Melter, which is a 20 pound electric pot for dipper use or smelting. Midway sells them for $49.

This is not the kind of pot to melt down 400 lbs. of wheelweights in an afternoon, but for those that don't want to do large amounts and/or mess with propane or Coleman fuel, should work well. None of my Lee pots has ever failed in years of heavy use. With the price of fuel rising, these slower and smaller elecrtic melters are becoming more practicle.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1340&d=1145758750

30yrcaster
04-27-2006, 02:27 AM
30yrcaster,

Is this what you were talking about? It is a Saeco 20 lb electric pot w/spout grove.
I bought this one on Ebay.

Jon

If your picture shows a Saeco pot with pouring spout and handle, yes that's it. You would think there's a market for one if Saeco and Hilts made one in the past. You could also use it with a ladle. It wouldn't be that much extra to put the pour spout and handle on it.

Dale53
04-27-2006, 08:46 AM
MY Saeco 20lb melting and ladle pot (has a pouring groove and a bail) was made in two ways. You could get it with a thermostat or without. I bought mine without (should have gotten the thermostat). It has done fine service for many years. It was great, when I had my sons at home. I would cast and they would alloy so I NEVER ran out of metal. The three of us did 13,000 .45 semi-wadcutters (#68) one weekend. Cast, sized/lubed and boxed. I cast the bullets and my sons did the rest. We couldn't have done that without the Saeco pot that fed the RCBS 20 lb bottom pour.

Dale53