PDA

View Full Version : Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co.

2shot
07-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Back in the mid 90's I bought and built a 50 cal. Southern Mountain Rifle kit from Pecatonica River and was very pleased with the inletting of the stock and quality of the wood. I was thinking about getting one of their Hawkens Rifle kits either in half stock or full stock and was wondering if their quality was still good with the workmanship and wood. The hardware is from good sources like L&R , Davis and Siler with barrels from Green Mountain so that's a given, my question is with the quality of the wood and inletting.

Anybody out there do a recent build with a Pecatonica kit? If so could I get your thoughts on Pecatonica.

To date 85 grains of 2FF and .490 RB patched with Ox Yoke pillow ticking = 16 deer, 11 bucks and 5 does with this Southern Mountain Rifle.

2shot

Ballard
07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
YES! There quality is still first class. Dick is a great guy to work with.

zampilot
07-10-2009, 08:14 PM
They have a very good website, and a great rep, I'd consider them for my next build.

2shot
07-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys! Good to hear that Pecatonica has maintaned their reputation all these years.

2shot

clayman49
05-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Hi 2shot,

Well I bought an H&A underhammer 50cal muzzleloader from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc. in 2017 and I wish I hadn't, as it's junk!

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc. only make the wood work, every thing else is made by outside suppliers!

The barrel was okay, but the threaded plug was sloppy and had to be remade plus it did not line up with the action (which had to be refaced)!

The spigot that the stock is attached to was off centre which gave "a cast on".

The hammer was bent plus the pivot hole was too big, so had to be fixed.

The rifle is not finished yet, God only knows what more my gunsmith will find!!!!!

So buyers be aware.

Sorry to burst your bubble...............clayman49

dondiego
05-18-2017, 02:37 PM
I bought their underhammer kit 3 years ago and it came to me in pretty good shape. I had some fitting, filing, sanding, finishing, and bluing to do but the breech plug was properly aligned and fit into the receiver well.

charlie b
05-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Hi 2shot,

Well I bought an H&A underhammer 50cal muzzleloader from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc. in 2017 and I wish I hadn't, as it's junk!

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc. only make the wood work, every thing else is made by outside suppliers!

The barrel was okay, but the threaded plug was sloppy and had to be remade plus it did not line up with the action (which had to be refaced)!

The spigot that the stock is attached to was off centre which gave "a cast on".

The hammer was bent plus the pivot hole was too big, so had to be fixed.

The rifle is not finished yet, God only knows what more my gunsmith will find!!!!!

So buyers be aware.

Sorry to burst your bubble...............clayman49

Did you try calling them to see if they would replace anything?

bedbugbilly
05-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Their quality is still first rate as far as I'm concerned . . . and so is their service.

I used to buy their "reject" pre-carved stocks when I was down at Friendship in past years and even those were of good quality. Usually it was a defect such as a small knot or a blemish/fault of some type that didn't show up until the stock was pre-carved. They were "easy fixes" and nothing that makers during the time period didn't experience at times - as with any gun building, when you have a blemish or a problem, you learn how to cover it up so it is as un-noticed as possible - the same as period gun builders had to do. I owned and ran a custom millwork/cabinet shop and even in that trade, you have issues with wood at times and you quickly learn how to do cover up work to correct the situation or you scrap it and start over.

I can't speak to the complaint on the under hammer kit referred to - but I'm sure that if you had contacted them with the problems you perceived they would have worked with you to make it right. I have used one of their under hammer actions that they sell in one build and had no issues with it at all. I'm guessing that if you are referring to the breech plug and barrel fit as being "misaligned", then you are probably having them cut the dove tails - if so - then the breech plug has to be fitted so that it does align - i.e. the cross pin/screw hole for the breech plug is aligned so that the top flat with the dovetails is on top. I have built a lot of guns over the years and I always fitted the breech plug to the barrel to the breech and then cut the dovetails for the sights and under lugs or staples.

"Quality" is in the eye of the beholder. I have never seen a "kit gun" that did not require fitting and work. Pecatonica makes an excellent pre-carved stock and I have compared them to other's. The component parts they carry - locks, furniture, triggers, etc. are all high quality makes that have a proven track record. Personally, I prefer to start my stocks from scratch and use a stock blank - but if a person doesn't have the equipment to cut barrel channels, drill ramrod holes, etc. - a nice pre-carved stock is just the berries and will certainly make the build easier and save a lot of hours of work. I just like the lines of their "ohio Rifle" half stock and am considering getting one of their pre0carved stocks for that particular rifle in curly maple to do a build this next winter.

I don't "have a dog in this fight" but I think you'd be very pleased with their products and service as well as the reputation they have earned over the years. Good luck with your build - sounds like it will be a great rifle!

clayman49
05-19-2017, 03:32 AM
Did you try calling them to see if they would replace anything?

Sorry but no I didn't call them, as I'm 12,542 km away! So I did emailed the company on numerous occassions.
Unfortunately they did not offer any help, apart from saying (like the other gentleman said) all kits need some fitting!

I have no complaints about the wood work, in fact I was quite taken with, as I'd ordered some nice Walnut with my kit. But the cast on problem was traced to the action mounting spigot to the stock not being straight with the action!

As I pointed out to the Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co, the problem lies with the out work and the lack of quality control, a shame really.

I'm still going to get a lovely rifle out of it, as I have a good gunsmith, who has been able to sort these problems out, but at my cost!

But please don't tell me, all kits need some fitting, I know that, but this rifle kit is OTT.

Cheers..........clayman49

M-Tecs
05-19-2017, 04:58 AM
This is an 8 year old thread. I was not aware of them. Ordered a catalog.

charlie b
05-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Sorry about the issues with them. I'd probably be a bit put off by something like that too, especially after shipping one overseas. Given that I'd probably not have them do any smithing services for something I buy from them. Just have someone local do it or buy from someplace like Track of the Wolf.