PDA

View Full Version : Quick visit By Heathydee

barrabruce
07-10-2009, 06:42 AM
:-D
Heathydee dropped in and said G'day!!
Bit early than I'd expected by a few weeks but who's complaining!!!!
Talked him into a cuppa and then chewed his ear off for a bit.
Had to float 'cos it was gett'n dark and he was looking for a place to swag down the night.
After a bit of insight to how to get my mould to work etc etc and me not paying attention to nothing!!!
Poor bugga never mind.
Some of it must have rubbed off 'cos me boolits started to work today.
Made a batch up and kept the first lot seperate after it all got good and hot.
Weighed them up and I'm getting mostly 182 grns out of the lee 180. The first few were mostly the dud ones.on the right hand side of the pic. Only cast about 80 (ran out of kero)but got a sort of ryhym up and some how an hr or two had disappeared. :)
Most are within a range of 181.5-182.5 grns .
13 x 181.5's , 40 x182.0's and 24 182.5's
Is this tight enough spread for good shooting generally??? If not what should I be aiming for??

Heath also dropped off some of his cast beuties and some gas checks donated by Four fingers of death.

Thanks fellas..much appreciated.

So on Sunday will find me at the range working hard with the Lee load all BigJon send me.
Playing with my new toys and testing a few bullets out.
Hopefully I'll be going pig shooting later in the arvo and test out this here "Cast stuff" on a piggy.

Let you's know if I get one. Supposed to able to get with in 30yrds of this mob easy enough.
Now if I get one shot in before me freind and his 264winchester magnum starts up I may get to see something more than a fleeing bum and nothing for the next 15 miles :)

Whoo Hoooo happy as a pig in s......

Barra

DLCTEX
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd say that is excellent on the weight spread. If you were shooting in a competition you may want to load and shoot them in their individual groups, but I'd bet my hat you couldn't tell the difference. The piggys will never know which you shot them with. What alloy were you using? Did you air cool? I'm really liking the Lee 311-170 in my Marlin 30-30. What will you be shooting them in and how large are the pigs there? Our big ones average in the 250 range but we have taken some to 550 that showed more domestic characteristics.

runfiverun
07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
i have weighed commercal j-words that were further apart on the weight spread.
we just got home from a shooting/camping trip. the wife was shooting through a pine log that was 8" across with water dropped ww's,in her 7x57 mauser they weren't mushing too much,a mix of 50-50 ww and pure waterdropped may be a better choice for hunting thin skinned animals like deer and for the pigs.
or just straight ww's not dropped into the cold water. if they'll hold up to your velocities acurracy wise.

barrabruce
07-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the input.
The bullets are lee 180 rnd nose. WW just dropped on wet toweling.
Gun is a 30-30 NEF with an "ol topper barrell.
Had fun today but we didn't end up pig shooting as me offsiders missus got crook.
Pigs they catch by dogs and knives each year around here. (have a comp) belive 80 kgs with the odd biggun up to 120 kg's. Down to widdle biddie ones :)

Black powder day at the range.
A few pics for fun.
Cannon and a bear can mortor. Hee Heee hope you enjoy.

barrabruce
07-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Well I ended up loading the lee 150's gaschecked given to me.
Adi 2207.
Not bad groups for a beginner!! could hit the 300 yrd gong even. Groups around 1 1/2" - 2 "

In the end I was having such a ball I ended up confusing myself on what was what....never mind next time I'll have to get serious!!!!
The messy one is the lee 180's I cast. using 6.5 grns 2400. Errrhhh
Still not to bad for a start. Next I'll cast some more up and use I think 9-13grns grns.
I got a bit worried about using so little and decided to pack a bit of toilet paper in the case....Hmmm..well the first 2 went all right but the next gave the primer a bit of cratering so I gave that up. Bit dirty with unburnt powder in the barrell.

Some work needs to be done but I think I'll be able to get at least 1 1/2 inches out of it all when do more load development and playing.

For the cost of $15-20 for around a hundred shots I am converted. happy chappy and with some more mucking around think I'll tackle a pig at least to 100 yrds if not out to 150.

:drinks:

Didn't try the soft nose's out but the gas checked 150's wizzing along pretty quick did a good enough job on a bowling pin!!!
Next time I'll get me act together!!

Barra

Thumbcocker
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe someone could translate the first paragraph of the first post from Australian to Southern Illinois redneck. :-D Good luck on perferating a piggy.

hammerhead357
07-13-2009, 12:14 AM
barrabruce, how about more info about the BP cannon and the beer can mortor. I am always interested in big things that go BOOOM.
Now as to your , offsiders missus got crook, does that mean that your mother in law got sick or what???????.....Wes

barrabruce
07-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Translation ish for rednecks

Had fun today but we didn't end up going shooting as my offsider... (buddy/ amigo/ friend /dudes/shooting companion's)...missus... (wife/trouble and strife/handbrake/ol bag/ SHMBO/wife/other half/better half/Lovey dearest one )...got crook... ( sick /off color/not well ).

Pigs they catch by dogs and knives ...(hunting dogs/ dorgs/hound doggy/canines).... and knives...(arkensore tooth pick/ long bladey thing you use to cut up your meat at meal time but bigger and stronger).. each year ( one full rotation of the earths orbit around the sun) ...around here....(locally with in pissin distance give or take) ....have a comp.. ( competition/ do /shindig) ... I belive 80 kgs ( 160lb ) with the odd biggun up to 120 kg's. (240Lbs ) Down to widdle biddie ones.

Hope I didn't get carried away........or offend you :roll:

It could be just 'cos we walk around on our heads over this end of the big blue sphere where all stuck on.

I think if I had the choice at the time I wouldv'e gone for a flat nose.
But 'yers pays 'yers money 'n take yer chance !!!!

The cannon goes quite well about a 1 1/2 maybe 2" lead ball...Throws it resonable accuracy (loose term) 2oo yrds. Last time he had it out he hit the 300 mtre gong with it to much applase and meriment of the rest of the mob there at the time.
The beer can mortor shoots.... well beer cans... full of concrete.
They were having a little trouble with the powder they made..
A few non events and plops and farts.
range was set to about 150- 200 yrds.When it fired proper.

The big blasty photo was procured with some of some-one elses "good brew of something or other wood charcol". A healthy charge was rammed in 'er but the can got stuck about half way down. The consenous was that it would be easier to wack 'er home with a big stick and mallet instead of having to drill aout a block of concrete.

I was the silly bugga standing behind the thing when it went off!!

The beer can set a new distance record for it on the day and althou we heard it thump back to eath somewhere or other... eventually ..

It started to rain within a minute or two.
We reckon that it must had punched a hole in the sky!!!
:-D
Lots of fun.....Except I couldn't shoot for the haze of blue/grey smoke covering the range!!!!

Barra

Thumbcocker
07-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Heathydee dropped in and said G'day!!
Bit early than I'd expected by a few weeks but who's complaining!!!!
Talked him into a cuppa and then chewed his ear off for a bit.
Had to float 'cos it was gett'n dark and he was looking for a place to swag down the night.
After a bit of insight to how to get my mould to work etc etc and me not paying attention to nothing!!!
Poor bugga never mind.

This is the paragraph I was talking about. :-?

I think I got the gist of it. I sometimes have to explain things to co-workers like "Katy bar the door" , "if brains was dynamite the boy couldn't blow his nose" , "you can't polish a turd", "dumber than owl s__t", "even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while" etc.

Hope you get to puncture a piggy with a boolit or a long pointy thingy. :-D

barrabruce
07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Talked him into a cuppa ..(coffee/tea)..than chewded his ear off for a bit..(talked to him an not let him budge from the spot/rambled on ).
He had to float..(make tracks/stirr up the dust/kill a mtre/take off/leave /depart with a purpose)...'cos it was getting dark and he wanted a place to swag down..(Swag..bed roll/set camp/sleep/find a spot) for the night.
After abit of insight to how to get my mould to work....
Poor bugga ... never mind.... ( I fell sorry for him..(for putting up with me). ..Never mind..(he'll get over it eventually for delaying him so long)

Hows that??
AS to me rifle and cast!!!!
I haven't had so much fun since me grandma got 'er tit caught in the mangler!!!!
:) :)
Barra