PDA

View Full Version : I need some comments on a pump 22 Taurus

44minimum
03-20-2006, 09:17 PM
I'd like some input on a Taurus pump action 22 Magnum. If you have any experience with one would you kindly relate it, good or bad. The boys at gun blast seemed to have good results with Taurus firearms, but others relate bad experiences. My dad has a Taurus 357 and it works just fine, it's the only experience I have with a Taurus. It seems to be a neat little gun.

I've got to find something to buy myself for a birthday present and my brother is getting a 223 barrel for his handy rifle, so my idea of getting a 223 handirifle is kaput. The little Taurus seems pretty nifty but I'm also considering a cannon. My brother purchased a four wheeler for himself for his birthday, and my dad bought himself a tractor so I need to come up with something. Man, let's see where this thread ends up.

versifier
03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I like the cannon idea, and if the bore is big enough, it will solve the problem of what to do with the odd Taurus that you run across.

crazy mark
03-21-2006, 12:23 AM
I have one of the last ones made by Rossi before Taurus took over. Mine works fine and doesn't have the funny safety. I can pump mine and keep the trigger held back and empty it pretty fast. The seem to be well made rifles. I just bought one of the Taurus 63's and it seems to be working just fine. Mark

twotoescharlie
03-21-2006, 02:45 PM
had one in 22 LR. looked good, felt good, shot a pattern instead of a group. sent it back to taurus,they sent another. same deal 6 inch group at 25 yards. different bullets,different people shooting it, even put a tang sight on it, no better.
strictly a safe queen. two years later got madder and madder dug it out of the safe,cut it up into 6 inch sections(saved my tang sight) sent it back to Taurus with a letter telling them to" kiss my ---".
to this day I haven't heard a word from them. got a Henry,shoots dime size groups at 25 yards.
My advice, find someone who has one and shoot it before laying out the sheckles for a new one!!

TTC

castalott
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I've got a newer one ( regular one..not the magnum) with maybe 1000 rounds thru it. It's a decent gun but I have never put it on paper. Works just great offhand on silhouette animals. The issue sights are pretty good and the optional tang peep is ok too. Trigger pull is good and it feeds, fires and extracts just fine. Ejection is a bit 'iffy'. If you don't work the action with power, the empty casing stays locked in the extracter. 5 minutes with a stone would fix it . It just needs a little clearance.

What it really needs is a couple of kids and maybe 10,000 rounds on some weekend.....

If you buy one in mag...I would like to know how you like it...I like good mag rifles....

Speaking of henry's.....my first one shot 8 inches to the right at 7 YARDS!. Looking in the barrel, you could see it was bored waay crooked. One phone call later & I had a new one. It is a very fine rifle....

six_gun
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
For What its worth,

I shoot lots of Cowboy Smallbore Silhouette matches. I have seen several guys using the tarus and some do really good and some are really bad. I think there are more that are bad than good because when they came out I really wanted one and now I still want one but because of other shooters bad experiences with them, not bad enough to put down the money and take my chances.

For general plinking, I think that they would do just fine, meaning that they will shoot straighter than most of the guys shooting them, can shoot. I like the idea that Tarus has of coming out with some of the old classic Winchester designs and applaud their effort. Maybe they will start making Pre-64 model 94 and model 70 Winchesters. Somebody should.

If I wasn't so financially embarrassed, I would own more of those old Winchesters or Winchester clones.

Sixgun

44minimum
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks dudes. perhaps i'll get a marlin 883 instead