PDA

View Full Version : Guitar or violin rifle case

calkar
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Im driving to Kansas in a few weeks for a family reunion, taking the long way around, backroads without rushing and staying at campgrounds. I sure would like to take along my Marlin 1894 .44 carbine and have it accessable, but dont like the idea of a rifle case being obvious and out in the open. Does anyone have some tips on a good method of turning a rifle or violin case into a rifle case? I am looking at hard cases, but soft cases are really cheap. Foam cutting : I have only done hacking with an exacto knife, is there a better way ect. Also a good way to coat the foam with material, spray adhesive has really never worked that great for me. Thanks!

Frank46
07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Just for the heck of it try your local pawn shop or musical instrument store. One or the other just might have what you are looking for. Hope this helps. Frank

hornsurgeon
07-09-2009, 12:12 AM
if you don't find what you want, i am the service department manager for a major music store in green bay. we have quite a few mandolin, guitar, and violin cases. if i had your measurments i could find something for you. as for the foam, trace around the item with a sharpee marker on the back side of the foam (so you wont see it on the final product). then use a electric knife to cut out the shape. i use 3m spray adhesive to install the foam. be sure to use more than you think, it can never be too much stick-em.

calkar
07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
The marlin is 37" long over all. When I put the muzzel on the floor and back of the rifle against the wall the toe of the stock sticks out from the wall 8 1/2". That sounds great horn. Just let me know price, or maybe I have something you could use like brass or cast boolits. Thanks!

hornsurgeon
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
i'll look into it and let you know tomorrow. i can always use winchester 22 hornet brass, remington 45/70 brass, remington 280 brass, commercial 7x57 brass, 22 cal molds, 110gr 257 nosler ab, 140gr 284 nosler ab, or hornaday/gator gas checks for 22 or 45 rifle.

calkar
07-09-2009, 12:52 AM
7x57 brass I have. #71 rem. and a few of various others brands.

leftiye
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I keep my chopper in one (not really). Is the possibility that thieves might be just as pleased to snarff your "guitar" as they would to steal a gun anywhere on the horizon?

calkar
07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
The rifle is going to be with me and I would like it in a case. I believe a smash and grap would be LESS likely for a guitar than a firearm, But we all know there are smash and grabs for even Mag-lites, so nothing is perfect. I always cover my rifle cases when going into a resturant ect. Or are you suggesting another type of case?

TCLouis
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Ever see what one could put in a bag meant for golf clubs.

Old and used so it does not attract too much attention.

calkar
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
It looks like a bass violin and a banjo case is just the right length (around 40"). If anyone can find me a decent hard case cheap I could pay , trade brass ,or cast bullets.

Murphy
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Just my thoughts on an inconspicous way to carry it, yet it be as easy to get to as any case.

Cheap guitar cases are usually around $35 if you find a 'fair' one. Even at that, you'll have 4 latches to pop open to get to the firearm.

I worry every bit as much about my guitar(s) being visable in my car/truck when I can't see it as I would be if it were one of my rifles. A thief is a thief, and a good guitar may even be a better target for a convicted felon, as catching a 'firearm' charge would be a whole lot harder on him if he's caught than a guitar.

That being said, have you thought about the idea of PVC pipe? You didn't state if the rifle is scoped or not, so PVC pipe may be an option. I'm not sure about how you would go about padding it inside, but surely where there is a will there's a way.

Besides, what could possibly be in a 40" piece of PVC pipe a thief in a hurry could possibly want to take? ;-)

Just a thought...

Murphy

Ernest
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I know a gentle man who travels a lot. Stays in hotels mostly. He carries either an AR or a FNFAl every where he goes in in a old golf bag. So far he has never had any problems.

hornsurgeon
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
calkar, like i said, i'll be sure to check monday. as for the pvc pipe, that may ba a victim as well. around here contractors/archetects/etc carry their expensive levels in such pvc cases. also, many fishing people travel with expensive rods in pvc. there is no good solution to the problem. i just like the fact that when most tree huggers see a guitar case, the last thing they expect is a rifle.

calkar
07-13-2009, 12:13 AM
pvc pipe is a great idea too! Thanks!

andremajic
07-13-2009, 02:57 AM
If I wanted to make something totally not worth stealing for hold a rifle...

I would take two 2x6 pine boards, route out the internals to perfectly fit the firearm, and put an internal piano style hinge on the inside to let it "hinge" open. Get two strong magnets and route out and epoxy them in place to keep the boards "stuck" together.

Keep the edges unfinished and ragged where they were cut. When viewed thru a window, it would appear that you have 2 short sections of 2x6 boards stacked in the back of your car.

No one is going to steal a couple pieces of pine. You could even "distress" the pine with assorted gouges and used motor oil stains. Use your imagination on this one.

Best idea that I could come up with on short notice. Ditto on the thieves stealing guitars.

Andy.

DanOH
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I have used a "gig bag" to carry my AR15 to highpower matches.
It is only lightly padded but I keep the sights covered with big steel clips.
These type bags scream "cheap guitar inside" because who would carry a really good axe in a junky gig bag? These usually have nice big pockets that you can keep mags, glasses and ear plugs handy.
Did I mention cheap?

wallenba
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I would check the transport laws in those states you will be passing through. It used to be some states required they be visable, I have not checked lately. It would make for a bad day if you got pulled over for something else and got caught up in an obscure regulation.

calkar
07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree with DanO and just ordered a soft case or gig bag., which has a large fender logo on it. I am planning on filling the case with foam sheets from the local surplus store to fill its shape, but keeping a hollowed out cardboard lined section in the center for a rifle sheath. It sure will look innocent in camp or in the truck. Ill just hope nobody askes me to play it! Ha! Ha!

redneckdan
07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
ci just like the fact that when most tree huggers see a guitar case, the last thing they expect is a rifle.

Thats exactly why I like using the soft side guitar case I got for transporting long arms to and from the University range. Although one time I came home from the range on a hot summer afternoon, grabbed a cold one and sat on the porch to talk to friends who were over. One of them had wandered inside and came back out with the case thinking it was an actual guitar and was going to play it. Being of the lib-tard persuasion the look of horror on her face when she unzipped it and saw it that it contained a AR-15 carbine was priceless.

Rio Grande
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
The red nylon bag my chinese foldup chair came in, you know the kind of chair that folds up like an umbrella.
who would steal that? I wonder why in the world I bought it sometimes!

But I really like the 2x6 wood idea that andremajic offered! magnets even - very smart.

hornsurgeon
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
i wasn't ignoring this thread, but looking for good options. the only reasonable priced new cases are chipboard, which are rather flimsy. they are the correct dimension, but not what i would call trustworthy. there are good cases available, but they are not cheap. the soft sided gig bags are a better choice.

calkar
07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for looking hornsurgeon, I agree, Im not to wild about the chipboard cases. Yes, there has been alot of great ideas. I will see if I can post some pics here when Im done with the gig bag case, maybe next week. I would also like to try the 2x6 case, with some glued in yardsale speaker magnets, and a pvc pipe case with a fake threaded plug (threads removed) that holds with maybe velcro.

calkar
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Well first attempt is functional, but I have improvements in mind. I have $11.50 in the case. $10.50 for gig bag, and a $1.00 for the black material. The rest was scrap. Rifle sets in a 2" thick insert, made with scrap foam, cardboard and $1 a sqyr. surplus store material.

calkar
07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Hard to tell from photos. but there is only a guitar shaped bulge in case. rifle does not print or slide around.

tall grass
07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
calkar

Kansas statutes says that the gun has to be unloaded and shut/closed in an approved case (to avoid the temptation, that everyone has, to be a poucher). I have no idea what an approved case means as I can find no discription of what the powers that be mean when it is stated "approved case". Just food for thought.

Jim

P.S. I am not sure what unloaded means either, say with loaded mags in semi autos. Is it unloaded if the mag is loaded and not in the gun or does the mags have to be unloaded also?

calkar
07-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I believe these codes,statutes, or whatever they want to call them today, are written on purpose to be vague so that authority has the opportunity of flexibility. Kansas does honor other states concealed carry permits, which I have for Pa. I will also keep a kel-tec .380 clipped to my pants. I agree with a statement some law enforcement experienced gun writer said several years ago " a hangun is good untill you can get to your rifle".

tall grass
07-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea. Let some poor bugger twist in the Kansas judicial wind trying to sort those vague statutes out that some smarter than you and I legislator granted us. Sorry for the rant. Use to be able to put them in a rack for everyone to see. Another liberty lost and for what effect.

Jim

calkar
07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Tall grass: put in your search engine: Problem, reaction, solution. Its been used by governments for thousands of years.

legend
07-24-2009, 04:06 AM
what about a BIO-HAZARD sticker on your case?

mroliver77
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I know this dont apply to long guns, well mebbe. I used to work for a friend scrapping steel. We took down elevators, municipal water tanks, industrial sized boilers and in this case we were in Detroit taking ovens out in an old GM plant. Nasty part of town, nasty people working for us and nasty lookin people wandering around these huge buildings. Well the boss sent me up town for something. In his truck was a basket with a pile of nasty looking dirty underwear. I noticed that they stayed in there for weeks afterwards. I asked him what the deal with them was. He dug in them and had his money box, payslips and a 9mm. I thought this was really odd and told him so. He asked me, "would you stick your hand in there to see if there was any valuables?" I have used variations of this idea many times since. ;)
Jay

calkar
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
exellent idea, but I am afraid to ask about what the "variations" could possibly be. I work at the local ymca and have access to lots of nasty underwear, if anyone would like to buy some. Lol!

Oh wow! thinking of the ymca and the smell of the child care area, who wouldnt aviod a diaper pail. ahhhhhh! You could probably get past border patrol with something hidden in there!!

3006guns
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I just read this whole thread and found it pretty interesting. Of all the ideas, the PVC pipe, two old boards and golf bag are pretty good.

The PVC pipe would have to be further disguised somehow.

How about a couple of bent nails protruding from the board style case?

The golf bag should look ratty as Hell, with some dummy beat up club heads protruding. I saw something similar in a movie years ago....assasin is on the golf course, reaches over to his bag whose clubs have covers labeled #4,#6, etc. and ".303"...whips out an Enfield and does the deed. Yes, it was an English movie!