PDA

View Full Version : Hep -- ID Zinc WWs -- pictures ...

captain-03
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I am finding it difficult to regulate the temp of my melt when melting down raw WWs. I know that if I can keep the temp low, the zinc WW will come to the top. I usually melt around 100lbs at a time and find it difficult to keep the temp that low for the entire melting period.

I am looking for a way to visually ID zinc WWs as I put them into the melting pot .. I have noticed that some zinc WWs have a rivet to hold the steel clip on --

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/1ww003.jpg

Do ALL zinc WW have this signature? Are there other signatures I can look for? A few pictures would be very helpful!!

Again, thanks in advance for your assistance!!

markinalpine
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
...page from the home page, to: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765
and start reading. All four pages, that's an order, Captain. :Fire:

Mark :kidding:

fredj338
07-08-2009, 02:57 PM
They vary a lot by manuf. The best way is to try & cut or crush them. Lead based wts will cut or smash, zinc do not. I'm also seeing more & more zinc tape wts, but they often have a Zn & will not bend at all.

doghawg
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Some are nicely marked with Zn...and some like the ones on the right side of the first pic that I fished out just in time...have no identifying marks at all. In the first pic all are Zn except the bottom one which is Fe...steel. I melt at as low a temp as possible, do a quick visual sorting and skim asap.

captain-03
07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Mark - great thread!!

Thanks!

markinalpine
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Mark - great thread!!

Thanks!

I came across this forum several months ago. I found it by accident when I was doing a totally unrelated webserch, and one of the hits was for "Hot Melt Glue Bullets (or Boolits)." I was intrigued by that, although it had nothing to do with whatever I had been searching, so I opened that thread, and came across the wonderful world of castboolits.gunloads.com. I next blundered across the stickie about lubing with JPW, and I was hooked.
It is the nature of most of the posters to be helpful, and if I was of help, you are most welcome. :mrgreen:

Mark [smilie=f:

Down South
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
If you keep the weights mashed down with a DRY stick as they melt and as soon as the melt has liquefied enough to skim/scoop the clips off then you won’t have a problem with zinc. The temp will still not be hot enough to melt the zinc weights.

07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
After a while, you'll be able to quickly spot the zinc and steel weights. A pair of cutters will eliminate those that are questionable. If you do the concrete-floor-drop-test, be aware that if the weight lands on the steel clip, you will get a false reading. Whenever in doubt, use the cutters -- they work everytime.

markinalpine
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
(Edited) Whenever in doubt, use the cutters -- they work everytime.

...there's another type of unsuitable WW that cuts easily with wirecutters:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57481

Mark :groner:

OOH, look! 100 posts as of this one [smilie=w:

Yeah, I know. None of you guys with 7000+ posts laugh, now. :Fire:

SciFiJim
07-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Congratulations Mark, I passed 100 fairly quickly but have nothing on the guys with the 1000 post boolits in the their avatar space.