PDA

View Full Version : Dixon's Gun Makers Fair 7/24-7/26

oldhickory
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
It's that time of year again, a well worth while trip for anyone living in the N-E.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair

GabbyM
07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Looks pretty cool. Kempton, PA. Only 775 miles from here. Let see at 46mpg that's 16.8 gallons of diesel fuel.

If they have nice rifles for sale that could get expensive though.

square butte
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I'll be there. This will be our tenth year in a row. Its a little bit of heaven on earth and quite possibly a good thunderstorm or two. I would hate to miss it at this point.

07-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll say they have nice rifles. The finest you'll ever see. Finished ready to load, kit guns, parts & blanks to make your own. Lectures on the "how to's", supplies, you name it. Cannons & blunder busses going off regularly throughout the event. Books, food, custom knife makers, tommyhawks, engraving, and on, and on, and on............... I'll be there.

piwo
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
$140.00 roundtrip for gas alone, 28+ hours driving, probably not. But I'm sure jealous. Clearly my kind of gathering! No, I'll be at the Lake of the Ozarks with the fam.... and that's not all that bad.........

fordwannabe
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I am very fortunate in the fact I only live about 45 minutes from them. Greg is the guy who introduced me to black powder cartridge shot guns,I like him, my wife not so much. She think he is my pusher, one of many by the way. Tom

6pt-sika
07-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I had thoughts of making the show this year !

But my shooting buddy that would go with me is getting married shortly in his 70th year !

I do however have a hunting buddy that lives in the Poconos , I might drive up hang out with him a day or so and hit the show one day as well !

oldhickory
07-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Looks pretty cool. Kempton, PA. Only 775 miles from here. Let see at 46mpg that's 16.8 gallons of diesel fuel.

If they have nice rifles for sale that could get expensive though.

Gee, I'll say! Diesel's the cheap part! I've spent more in that place than it would cost me to go around the world!...And NOT even during the fair! Dixon's is a wonderful store, you never know what you might find in there, anything from matchlocks to black rifles stopping at most points in between.

I usually keep a close watch on my wallet during the fair, except that one time...Oh well, it was a deal I couldn't pass on![smilie=p: An Earl Williams transitional Pa. long rifle at a price too good to let sit.

The fair is geared mostly toward flinters, long rifles in particular, but they have blacksmiths, wood workers, flint knappers, horn makers, and an array of other crafts and crafts people there to show how it's done. Music, food, and some of the finest folks this side of castboolits!:redneck:

square butte
07-09-2009, 08:20 AM
You know spending money at Dixon's is only half the problem with that trip. There's a GIANT Cabelas store only 20 minutes away at Hamburg, PA.. Sits like the Parthanon up on the hill above the highway, beckoning you to get on the off ramp. Yhe Highway is two lanes on either side , but once you get off and head towards Cabelas it's 4 lanes up to the store. Don't miss it.

piwo
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I have family on the other side of the state..... Maybe next year I can arrange not to have the family vacation coincide with the fair, make the drive, visit some fam, and catch the fair. That's a plan worth investigating..........

oldhickory
07-10-2009, 04:47 AM
I have family on the other side of the state..... Maybe next year I can arrange not to have the family vacation coincide with the fair, make the drive, visit some fam, and catch the fair. That's a plan worth investigating..........

Ahhhh!...The genus of the American gun owner!:drinks:

piwo
07-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Ahhhh!...The genus of the American gun owner!:drinks:

Well, what we won't do to oooo and owww over gun stuff! Maybe hook up with some forum members to boot. Nice....... :drinks: