PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot ban for upland birds?

DLCTEX
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
My wife told me tonight that she read in either Abilene Reporter News or Amarillo Globe news that a ban on lead shot for all birds was being considered. She didn't rember any other details. Anyone have any imformation on this?

runfiverun
07-08-2009, 12:30 AM
they have been working on this for years.
if they do and you hunt larger birds #2 works fine for pheasants etc..
and #4-6 is fine for quail etc.
the key to good steel loads is to use speed to make up for the lack of weight.
the good news is that steel has been around for some time now and the sweat has been put in already.
there are alternatives too heavy shot it's actually better than lead.
bismuth shot is right there with lead.
tungsten matrix dang good stuff hard to tell it apart from lead.
the downside to all this? cost: other then that you actually have some better products.
there are areas where you have to shoot steel etc for trap shooting now.

44mag1
07-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I wouldent want to bite into any steel or tungsten shot.

lead Foot
07-08-2009, 02:45 AM
I think lead shot has been banned in New Zealand for a while now. Jeff NZ might have more info on how they got through. Your right 44Mag gee I know lead was tough enough when you bite in to a good duck.:coffee:
Lead foot;

Bret4207
07-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Mort useless Gov't regulation. Lead occurs naturally in my area and we have plenty of wildlife. If they wanted more they'd have a year round season on predators like cats, coyotes and cars.

captaint
07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
For years we have read that newer shotguns have barrels that are "approved for steel shot".What do we do now for older shotgun tubes?? Maybe they have modified shot wad/cups to make it ok to shoot steel in older guns??? Puzzled Mike

Dan Cash
07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I have 7 or 8 shot guns, none of which are proofed for steel. One is a muzzle loader which I use a lot and another is a beautiful side lock 16 bore side by side from about 1880 that is my favorite. It is not going to shoot steel.

DLCTEX
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
The wife says she thought it was a state proposal, maybe the boys in Austin have to little to do.

robertbank
07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
In the end all this type of legislation does is reduce the number of hunters in the field. We have seen it up here with mandatory hunter training programs - If it saves just one life! -. If the left works it right we will have two beaurecrats for every one of us to follow us around to ensure we stick to the "rules". Wait until we are shooting fully encapsulated bullets only. After that we ban copper jackets...... I surely have read some government report that says if you feed rats a pound of copper a day they eventually die.:roll:

Take Care

Bob

Recluse
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
If passed, another stupid, pointless, useless law I'll ignore.

:coffee:

DeepSouth
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Recluse, amen to that.Preach on,preach on!

Old Ironsights
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Can't use Steel in a Muzzlestuffer...

runfiverun
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
we do use steel in the muzzle loaders.
the bismuth shot is for the older guns.
just expect to pay about 4 times what lead shot costs for a box.

358wcf
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, we currently have about 1/2 of the state already under a "no lead" law- that means no lead in the projectile AT ALL-
No lead shot, no lead 22LR, no lead in your jacketed boolits, NO LEAD at all.
Fish and Game regulation to "protect the Condors". The state is seriously considering expanding this reg to cover the balance of the state this summer.
Doing it by F&G regs means no hearings, no publicity, and our legislators don't have to go on record with votes supporting it!
The government doesn't want us hunting in this state! Soon, lead will be useful only on the range, and I see the day coming when that will end as well.
Note- I believe Bismuth shot is no longer made--

358wcf

Recluse
07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
The state is seriously considering expanding this reg to cover the balance of the state this summer.
Doing it by F&G regs means no hearings, no publicity, and our legislators don't have to go on record with votes supporting it!
The government doesn't want us hunting in this state! Soon, lead will be useful only on the range, and I see the day coming when that will end as well.
Note- I believe Bismuth shot is no longer made--

358wcf

I've sent three different letters to the Sacromento Politburo explaining why us and our airplane will never enter California airspace ever again.

The sheer lack of the people having any say that the Supremes don't overturn or appeal is the biggest reason. Their anti-gun/anti-America stances and laws are another.

Every year when we fly westward, I keep receipts of how much we spent on avgas, hotels, rental cars, food, entertainment, etc and send that amount--with details--to a couple of different factions within the Sacromento Politburo. I cheerfully explain that the money could have been spent in California, but due to the way they rule the state, no thank you.

It's not much, but it gives me some degree of satisfaction.

:coffee: