PDA

View Full Version : Another bullet lube ?

XWrench3
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
so i tried my first stab at making my own bullet lube last night. it is definitly slippery enough, but it is not hard enough. i tried putting in some ivory soap shavings. but it would not melt into the mix. how do you get this stuff to melt while still useing a double boiler system? can i put the soap in a seperate pan to get it hotter, and maybe mix in some hi-temp grease?
also, is a toilet sealing ring real beeswax?

07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't make my own lube, so can't address your concerns, there. However, today's toilet rings aren't beeswax. Somewhere there is discussion about them and a search should find it.

Calamity Jake
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
so i tried my first stab at making my own bullet lube last night. it is definitly slippery enough, but it is not hard enough. i tried putting in some ivory soap shavings. but it would not melt into the mix. how do you get this stuff to melt while still useing a double boiler system? can i put the soap in a seperate pan to get it hotter, and maybe mix in some hi-temp grease?
also, is a toilet sealing ring real beeswax?

You can't get your lube hot enough to melt the ivory without burning it up and the high temp grease will make it softer.
Add a little more beeswax and or maybe a crayon or two.

runfiverun
07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
if you have a toilet ring from 20 years ago they were b-wax,apparently bees made more wax back then.
just throw in an old scented candle that you think your wife don't need, even though you are gonna find out they cost like 400.00u.s.dollars now.
you are gonna have to get that grease up to about 500* to get it to melt.
some more b-wax or paraffin will do also.
the ivory soap is used as a binder between castor oil [a natural oil ] and mineral [petroleum product] and is added and stirred in at about 280* which will burn the jebus outta your beeswax. which melts at about 170*

07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Agreed,
Adding more beeswax or parafin will stiffen lube. May depend on how hard you want the lube. I pan lube and don't shoot past about 1600 fps so haven't "gone where every man seems to want to go" with hard lubes and high velocity. Even up to 1600 fps a soft Felix type lube works great. I think the lube in a grease groove bullet acts as the hydraulic cushion for the bullet-bore interface. Likewise I think that lubes that are too hard defeat the cushion effect. Hot weather, powder contamination, bullet neatness, lubrisizer application, etc. seem to be reasons for harder lubes and can be separate issues from accuracy, leading and such.

For getting soap into a mix there may be something in the Felix sticky or for sure in some of the homemade soap directions and info available.