PDA

View Full Version : RD 460-350 came today

DLCTEX
07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Got my new mold from Lee (surplus items 24.50 with shipping) today in the mail. Had to try it out, so scrubbed it out, applied Bull Plate Lube while the pot was heating up and cast 40 good ones with WW alloy, water dropped. I measured to see if it was dropping undersize. .460 x459 on both cavities. The mold drops boolits very well with most dropping as the mold opens and a few needing a tap of my gloved finger only to make them drop. Tomorrow I'll gas check and lube them to see if the checks fit and then hopefully load them up with some R-7. May be the week end before I can shoot them. I was afraid they would measure .458, maybe theyll work without having to do any more to it. I did notice a mark on the top outside edge, just a line stamped about 1/8 inch long. Wondered if it was marked to signify surplus status.

Frank
07-07-2009, 12:26 AM
That's funny. I sent my .460-350 Ranch Dog back to Lee today. Ranch Dog said he would refund my money, but the original culprit was Lee, so I sent it back to them. The mold cast .458 at the top, .456 at the bottom and .454 in the lube grooves. I know, I'm looking at 8-12 months turn around time, but what else can you do? I'm still waiting on a lousy sizer die. Ordered one in January. Free market needs more competition. This is ridiculous. :violin:

runfiverun
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Lee is causing a furor among casters right now.
they ain't gettin none of my business till they undo the h.u.a. issues

Frank
07-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Here's what I did. I ordered a Rapine mold to replace it, and I just won't size. Less work, problem solved and it'll even shoot better. See how easy that was?

Frank
07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
OK, funny thing happened today. I got the .476 size die today from Lee , after a 6 month wait and on the same day I posted the above.

But I happened to be casting too, so I had something to try it out real fast.

Result: Too small. Sizes to .475. I requested .476. Anyhow, I can open it up I guess. Oh well, they sure came close. [smilie=1:

Buckshot
07-08-2009, 12:21 AM
OK, funny thing happened today. I got the .476 size die today from Lee , after a 6 month wait and on the same day I posted the above.

But I happened to be casting too, so I had something to try it out real fast.

Result: Too small. Sizes to .475. I requested .476. Anyhow, I can open it up I guess. Oh well, they sure came close. [smilie=1:

.............What alloy were you using?

...........Buckshot

Frank
07-08-2009, 12:58 AM
WW's. They cast to .476-.477