PDA

View Full Version : Anhydrous Lanolin Best Place to purchase?

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I have purchased some as I was in a bit of a hurry to add to my Ed's Red so I got 5 pounds from Majestic Mountain Sage that was mentioned on one of the web pages that did show how to make Ed's Red. But for 5 pounds shipped was $51.21.

So I would like to ask is there a cheaper place to purchase from for this kind of stuff?

And other than to use this for Ed's Red what are other good uses for it?

kbstenberg
07-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Felix lube.
Do they have smaller quantities than 5lb? Only looking for 1 lb.
I did find some at MMS but there shipping was more than the product.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes they do have smaller quantities than 5 pounds. But for the cost to have it shipped I felt I would go with 5 that way I can use it in other things. As for just one Gallon of Ed's Red it says to use 1 pound of Lanolin.

The direct link to what you are looking for is. http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#Lanolin

They have it from 8 OZ to 25 pounds of the stuff lol.

montana_charlie
07-06-2009, 08:24 PM
And other than to use this for Ed's Red what are other good uses for it?
Do you have chapped lips...or sore nipples?
CM

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:26 PM
lol You NUT I would say something else but off humor might not look good out in the open. It would scare the Straights lol.

Lee W
07-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I get it from here. I also use it as a sizing aid.

http://www.vitaglo.com/7725.html

Leftoverdj
07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
$10 a pound shipped ain't all that bad. Five pounds of anhydrous lanolin sounds like a lifetime's supply to me. It's as good a case lube as there is for heavy reforming and the basis of skin lotions and chapstick.

You also could have made up your order with other stuff handy for lube making. I know they carry beeswax, carnuba wax and sodium sterate.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:29 PM
That was the first site I went to but they were more expensive than the site I gave. I read it again and they are MUCH more expensive. That container they show is only 7 Oz. So to get 1 pound you would have to purchase 3 of them and have some left over.

Sizing Aid? Or after Charlie should I even ask lol.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
$10 a pound shipped ain't all that bad. Five pounds of anhydrous lanolin sounds like a lifetime's supply to me. It's as good a case lube as there is for heavy reforming and the basis of skin lotions and chapstick.

You also could have made up your order with other stuff handy for lube making. I know they carry beeswax, carnuba wax and sodium sterate.

I wish I knew that Lefoverdj. But I use Wax from Cheese lol. I should not have it often so it is more of a treat with something I can use after lol.

I got 5 pounds as mentioned I made a gallon of Ed's Red since everyone here really liked the stuff and it says for every gallon to use 1 pound of anhydrous lanolin.

And again Case Lube? I have been using the RCBS stuff for my 45-70 cases.

deltaenterprizes
07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I got mine from a local pharmacy.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I got mine from a local pharmacy.

Lucky you lol. I went to HEB, Wallgreens,Wall-Mart and they looked at me like I fell down lol. Now the Wallgreens had some in a small tube that was $9.99.

If my brain was with me I might have checked out some craft shops. But for the amount I wished to get I felt the best way was to order. I could be wrong about that. As that is part of the reason I posted this question.

softpoint
07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Wal Mart in College Station Texas has it. I've bought 2 pounds from them, seems like 11 or 12 bucks a pound had to ask the pharmacist for it , they didn't keep it out front.:coffee:

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
lol I did ask the Pharmacist. Big City slow minds lol.

sundog
07-06-2009, 08:45 PM
folks at mountain sage have always been nice to me.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Sundog I did not talk to them as I put the order in online during the weekend. But it was sent out much faster than what there web site says.

Seems like good stuff for your hands just as it is. It was outside all day and with the temp in the low 100's it was liquid lol. I did not expect that lol. As from what I have read it may become liquid at 110F.

runfiverun
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
townsend whelen and that o'connor guy used anhydrous as case lube.
just some on the fingers and smear on.
curious cliff does the lanolin kinda look and feel like vaseline or is it creamy smooth?
reason i ask is i have an old jar and i think it was mixed with vaseline for some reason.
the tubes of it i have picked up is creamy smooth.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Well since I do not know anything about the stuff since this the first time I have purchased it. The container says Anhydrous Lanolin Fixed Oil.

And as I said since it was hot it is in a semi liquid state. And I would have to say it feels more like a liquid vaseline just much smoother. And looks like liquid caramel.

runfiverun
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
cool,scrounging and whining paid off again....woohoo.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Your wife is going to hurt you lol. Sounding like Renfield He He He He as he runs off with her skin cream lol.

Houndog
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
50/50 Anhydrous Lanolin and Vaseline makes the best bullet swage lube going! 6 GR. in 250 jackets gets the job done.

JesterGrin_1
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Houndog sounds great but as of yet I do not swage and to be honest I really do not plan to lol.

But thank you for the input as I am sure many will find it good info to use. :)

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Yes they do have smaller quantities than 5 pounds. But for the cost to have it shipped I felt I would go with 5 that way I can use it in other things. As for just one Gallon of Ed's Red it says to use 1 pound of Lanolin.

The direct link to what you are looking for is. http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#Lanolin
Great link, JesterGrin - but they re-arranged their page just a tad since you posted it, so it now scrolls to the bottom of the page.

Here's an updated link:
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Lanolin.html

I bought a 1-lb plastic jar of anhydrous lanolin at a drugstore about 10 years ago; they charged me $20 at the time, and I had to wait two weeks for them to order and get it delivered.

Even then, I haven't made a very big dent in it. It doesn't take much if all you're doing with it is re-sizing cartridge cases. I'd rather lube 'em with Lanolin than spray stuff all over the place.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Even a small quantity of Lanolin, anhydrous or not, if used for just case sizing will last an unbelievably long time. Many years ago it was sold by Lyman under the name of E-Z lube, in small flat tins about 2-3" in diameter. If you put just a tiny smear on your fingers and then rubbed cases to be resized the sizing was smooth and easy. That small smear did lots of cases. It took years to use up that tin. I then bought a small one pound jar in a pharmacy...price now long forgotten and am still using it; at least 3/4 of it still remains. It became easier to put a dab on a medium sized ink stamp pad and roll the cases as is done on an RCBS lube pad...one dab lasts for a seemingly endless number of cases especially if they are pistol/smaller casings like 9mm or 30 carbine. The lanolin is more responsive to warmer temperature and less so when cooler. Its easy on the skin and washes off easily with ordinary soap and water. Cutting it with vasoline would make it even more slippery and I would agree that it probably would be very effective for swaging. If using lanolin for case sizing only you don't need very much of it at all and a small local pharmacy/pharmacist might be willing to sell a small jar for considerably less than trying to buy a much larger quantity for a big price. LLS