PDA

View Full Version : Sent A Marlin Back

softpoint
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I sent a Marlin back to the factory today. I've owned a good many Marlin rifles, and the few issues I've had with them I always repaired myself. Usually "tuning" that the factory wouldn't do anyway. But I sent a new 39A back to the factory today, It had failures to extract with some ammo, (a problem I could fix, but shouldn't have to), After over 600 rounds of about 12 different types-brands of ammo, still having fliers that would open a normal group up to over 3 inches at 50 yards. Maybe a chamber problem? Maybe the crown, but I don't think so, I looked at it with a magnifier and it looked OK. Then upon re-assembling it after taking it apart to clean it, I noticed a small piece of steel laying on my workbench, turns out it is a piece of the receiver! The small part of the rear of the barrel half that is a bolt guide had simply snapped or fallen off! I guess when I dis-assembled it. Anyway, It's on its' way back to Marlin already, so I guess I'll find out what thier customer service is like. I tried to call them a number of times today, but could never get through, so I just packed it up and put a letter inside and sent it back.
What's others experience with Marlin service like? Are they pretty good to deal with, or am I in for an ordeal ?:-|

NVcurmudgeon
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I hope your letter to Marlin was very detailed and complete. I have owned six Marlins, used and new. All vere very satisfactory except one. The exception was a new 39A in the early eighties. This rifle shot so ridiculously low with several brands of ammunition that I could not zero it properly with a scope. I was able to zero it with a Williams Fool Proof aperture rear sight, but the sight was so high above the receiver that I couldn't rest my cheek on the comb. (A lower front sight would not have helped as the factory sight was as low as I have ever seen.) I sent it back to the factory TWICE to no avail. Each time I received a brief note to the effect that it shot just fine. I solved the problem by trading it off. I'm sure to this day that I got a bent barrel or cattywampus receiver, but couldn't convince Marlin. About the same time a friend of mine had a 39A with the bore so far off center at the muzzle that it would have run out the side if the barrel had been any longer. I still like Marlins very much, but am off of the 39A forever. That's OK, I can shoot ground squirrels through the diamonds of my chain link fence with my CZ 452 and Federal bulk .22 LR. What was it with 39A barrels in the eighties?

Jack Stanley
07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I quit buying Marlins mostly because of their service department . I do have a couple that run fine but I won't ever suggest a Marlin product to anyone .

Jack

lastmanout
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I have had a lot of good Marlin Rifles-- But--- one 39A - 1980's production had an unhardened elevator. It would bend if used briskly. Bump with the lead hammer and OK until next time. Traded it off. I also have a CZ 452 now-- good stuff !!!

Gee_Wizz01
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I just got my brand new never fired Marlin 1895G back from Marlin. I bought it new and when I got it home the lever would not stay latched. Since it was new I took it back to Gander Mountain and they sent it back to Marlin. It took 3 and 1/2 weeks to get it back, and that was only after I raised cane at Gander Mountain and they called Marlin and it was expedited. It shoots good now, but I missed the hog hunt I bought it for.

G

jlchucker
07-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Except for one Marlin in 35 Remington that I had bought well-used, every Marlin that I ever acquired new either shot so low or so high that the front sight needed replacing. That's an easy enough fix--not worth sending back to the factory, but one has to wonder about the quality control at assembly at that place. One of those rifles was a Classic model in 25-20. I should have sent it back, because in order to get enough height on the front sight I needed to add a ramp to make it shoot well. A friend liked that rifle and its ramp-and receiver sight setup, and bought it. Except for the sight issue (and the ridicuously fat forearms) I never owned any Marlin that I needed to complain about.