PDA

View Full Version : Check this link out

Dutch4122
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
It's on the Milsurp After Hours board. It touched a nerve with me. Definately something most of those idiots in the entertainment industry need to realize.

http://milsurpafterhours.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1890

shooter2
03-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Dutch, the only way they'll understand is if we stop enriching them. $$ is all many of them understand. Sadly, the Lee Marvins, Bob Keeshans and Jimmy Stewarts of the world no longer live in Hollywood.

A friend was recently on a cruise and supped with some folks from England. They got on movies and were of a mind that the USA no longer made good movies. I for one have no interest in seeing Brokeback Mountain. JMHO...

Dutch4122
03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I for one have no interest in seeing Brokeback Mountain. JMHO...

Me either! Just goes to show that nothing is sacred to those people. 'Course I shouldn't be surprised that they won't leave the Cowboy genre alone. After all, hollywood seems to be pretty intent on re-writing history; as well as any positive American stereotypes so that they fall in line with whatever currently "acceptable" lifestyles they are bent on forcing down our throats.

Rant off, sorry.:(

omgb
03-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm reading this while between classes at my high school. I teach US History and English... been doing so for almost 18 years. Before that I was a soldier for almost seven years. After serving (that's a key word there) in the USAF, I couldn't do just any job. I had to have one that mattered. I chose teaching and I'm not the least bit sorry. What I am sorry about is that the pay is so crappy. My son makes double my salary as a mortage banker and he never went beyond high school. I don't fault nor begrudge him this, it's just that after I spent 8 years in various colleges and post grad programs, it seems odd that I'm paid less for developing the next generation of Americans than my son is for making sure mortgage forms are filled in correctly. My daughter is a cop with the LA PD and believe me, she earns her pay. She was planning on being a teacher but chose law enforcment because of it's pay and benefits. I'm not asking for pity. I really love my profession. It does hoever, strike me as sad that we as a people value our children so little and our money so much. Ben Stein has it right. FWIW, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd continue to teach. I'd just not have to worry so much about what's going to happen when I'm too old to work. :)

Frank46
03-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Matt, I agree with you 100%. Our so called stars are so out of touch with reality and so involved in their little worlds that most are nothing but a joke. The ones who are stars in my book are the men and women who have elected to serve in our armed forces. As for the others phoey!!. Our service men and women have been for far too long under paid and over worked, yet they go about their duties. I met a couple soldiers at a local gun show a few years back. Aside from repeatedly calling me "sir" they were two bright and capable men. As to the "sir" thing, I'm origionally from new york, and when people start calling you sir you know you are in trouble. Sorry for the rant. Frank

wildkatt
03-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Shooter 2,

Lee Marvin had better sense than to live in Holywood. He lived in Tucson, AZ. I understand that he was shot through the chest at Okinawa.

I wish it was as easy for me to do without gasoline as it is for me to avoid Holywood's garbage. I have cut back on driving. Every trip I avoid I feel that I am sticking it to an arab a little bit.

Regards, WK

Blackwater
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Wildcat, I think (???) he was actually shot in the buttocks somewhere in the Pacific campaign. Can't remember if it was Okinawa, but that seems to ring a bell. Can't trust the memory like I used to, but I believe Johnny Carson talked with him about it on the Tonight Show once, and Marvin was both amused and em-bare-assed about the story, and all got a big ol' laugh out of a story that was then some 30+ years old by then. Marvin and a good number of others got their start in movies after WWII.

Of the movie actors of today, I think Tom Berringer was a Marine in Viet Nam, wasn't he? He's always played pretty good roles, IMO, and done so pretty darn well. I particularly like "Last of the Dogmen," IIRC - the movie about a bunch of Comanche (I think that's the tribe) warriors who lived long past the time when they were thought to have been killed off or pacified, and kept themselves secreted for many years. I need to go rent that movie again .... IF I can remember to go to one of the video stores. Just don't go there any more, but that's a shame 'cause there's a FEW good movies still out there that are worth watching.

carpetman
03-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes Lee Marvin was shot in the butt and he knew Capt Kangaroo from war and said he was the bravest man he ever knew.

felix
03-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Wasn't the meanest of them all (Hollywood types) Mr. Rogers? Never wore short sleaves because of his many tatoos. Hand-to-hand combat champion, I've read, heard, or drempt up. ... felix

omgb
03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Mr. Rogers wasn't mean and didn't have tats. That's an urban fairytail. I think too, that the Lee marvin story is wrong. IIRC, he was never wounded nor was he decorated. I ran across all of this last year some time on another blog. Scopes has the info and the straight skinny if anyone is interested. I wish this stuff were true though. It's rather nice thinking of ol' Fred Rogers as a trained commando type.

Dale53
03-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Pfc. Lee Marvin (Marine Corps) WAS wounded and received the purple heart as per Arlington Cemetery web site (Lee is buried at Arlington):

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lmarvin.htm

Dale53

omgb
03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
You are correct about Marvin. It turns out that the version I recall as incorrect was that he was severly wounded on Iwo and ws awarded a Medal of Honor.

shooter2
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Shooter 2,

Lee Marvin had better sense than to live in Holywood. He lived in Tucson, AZ. I understand that he was shot through the chest at Okinawa.

Regards, WK

Lee Marvin was shot in the ass on Iwo. Bob Keeshan was a sergeant on the beach, and even in the thick of battle, was directing the men off the beach. They both won the Navy Cross for their actions. Lee for establishing a machine gun emplacement on Mount Suribachi (sp?) and Bob for his actions on the beach. Iwo was a USMC operation and Okinawa was Army. I know of only one Medal of Honor won on Iwo and that was by a 17 year old marine who fell on a grenade to protect his buddies. He lived.

Mr Rogers was a navy seal in VN. After his discharge he attended seminary and became an ordained minister.

Heroes all!

Scrounger
03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Here is an interesting quiz on some well known stars' military service in WWII:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/quickquiz/031001_celebrityvets.html

And would you believe Julia Child? Audrey Hepburn? This link lists many others but contradicts the posts on Bob Keeshan; claims he enlisted two weeks before the end of the war. Lee Marvin had a very sarcastic sense of humor, just ask his ex-girlfriend who sued him for 'palimony'...

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/actors_in_wwii.html

Scrounger
03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
You are correct about Marvin. It turns out that the version I recall as incorrect was that he was severly wounded on Iwo and ws awarded a Medal of Honor.

He was awarded the Silver Star on Iwo Jima.

carpetman
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I find it odd that all these lists of celeberties that served omit Elvis Presley.

Scrounger
03-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I find it odd that all these lists of celeberties that served omit Elvis Presley.

True enough, although most of them refer to seving in war time. I think we would be remiss if we don't also mention athletes who also served. To name a few; Jackie Robinson, Joe Louis (?), PeeWee Reese, Bob Feller, Ted Williams, the best hitter in baseball who flew Corsairs for 3-1/2 years in WWII and Korea, Hank Bauer of the Yankees who must have done something to come out of the Army as a Major, and many others, many of whom lost their careers or even their lives. Great men all.

jballs918
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
kinda wonder what makes a man do what he does to protect the lives of poeple he dont even know. yet us america are all evil and dumb. i being a soldier, do wonder if i ever will have to make the sacerface one day. but i guess until then i wont know. i have always liked ben, but after eading that and him having the balls to write it, it puts him up a few spots in my book

jason

floodgate
03-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Another one: Any of you oldies remember the Hungarian actress Hedy Lamarr? A very handsome lady, came to the US and made a number of films in the late '30's up to WW II. But it turns out she was something of a genius with early electronics, and did some very valuable work in the development of radar, IFF and communications during the war. All this from memory, and I don't recall where I read it - maybe Smithsonian Magazine or Scientific American. I'll have to Google her name and verify the story. floodgate

floodgate
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
OK, I checked out "Hedy Lamarr" on Google and the first thing I came up with was under "Female Inventors" at:

<http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html>

This isn't the article I remembered, and it wasn't radar, but I was close; she was co-inventor of a frequency-switching concept for remote guidance of torpedos, evolved from the punch-coded pneumatic player-piano roll concept. It wans't made use of in WW II ("A WOMAN inventor, ya gotta be kidding!!") but has found several useful applications since then in anti-jamming communication and control. Pretty impressive, for someone who is usually remembered for the "full nudal frontity" (thanks, Archie the Bunker!) scenes in the Hungarian "art" movie, "Ecstasy".

floodgate

Scrounger
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Wasn't that the 'Heddy Lamarr' from "Blazing Saddles"? I read that (one of) her husbands was a German scientist in the 1930s and she had a lot of familiarity with his work. She worked with our scientists in WWII on what I understood was the biginning of digital technology.

http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/hedy-lamar-and-digital-spread-spectrum.html

http://www.rism.com/atribute.htm

http://www.inventionconvention.com/americasinventor/dec97issue/section2.html

Bret4207
03-23-2006, 08:33 PM
It's HEADLY! (If you don't follow, you ahven't seen Blazing Saddles lately)

Bret4207
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Lee Marvin was shot in the ass on Iwo. Bob Keeshan was a sergeant on the beach, and even in the thick of battle, was directing the men off the beach. They both won the Navy Cross for their actions. Lee for establishing a machine gun emplacement on Mount Suribachi (sp?) and Bob for his actions on the beach. Iwo was a USMC operation and Okinawa was Army. I know of only one Medal of Honor won on Iwo and that was by a 17 year old marine who fell on a grenade to protect his buddies. He lived.

Mr Rogers was a navy seal in VN. After his discharge he attended seminary and became an ordained minister.

Heroes all!

There's a LOT of dead Marines buried on Okinawa that might dispute that being an Army operation.

wills
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
It's HEADLY! (If you don't follow, you ahven't seen Blazing Saddles lately)

Played by Harvey Korman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/

Scrounger
03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
My favorite line from that movie is where the mayor agrees to take in everyone except the Irish...

omgb
03-23-2006, 11:19 PM
According to the latest American Rifleman, a MH was issued on Iwo to a 24 year old Marine killed in action. He was responsible for developing a SAW version of the US 30 cal machinegun. His name was Cpl. Tony Stein. I'm going to check the Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers facts becuase I swear, I read that none of the claims about these two were true. Not that it matters much, these were both very good men but I am interested in getting the straight story.

omgb
03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.snopes.com/military/marvin.asp The above link goes to a "snopes" file that discusses Marvin, Keeshaw and Rogers. Marvin was wounded in the but but not on Iwo, it was during the battle for Saipan and he was awarded a Purple Heart and is burried at Arlington. Keeshaw did join the Marines but too late to see combat during WWII. Fred Rogers was never in the military. None of this diminishes the character of these men one iota in my book but it is nice to have the facts squarely in place.

omgb
03-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Here's a site with a complete listing of the MH winners for Iwo Jima: http://www.medalofhonor.com/IwoJimaRecipients.htm

Ivantherussian03
03-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Some of the bloodest fighting and most horrifying battles of WWII were Saipan and Iwo. I saw some war footage on cable tv once in the middle of the night ( it was Iwo Jima), bodies, and parts of bodies every where; you could of walked across the island it look like on those bodies.

The real heroes in life are the everyday people, that live their lives, obey the laws, raise families, go to work, and help others.

My grandfather landed on the beach on Omaha, the D-Day invasion. He never spoke of it. Clawing his way on to beach later named "Bloody Omaha", he fought his way across France, and into Germany. He was wounded 2 or 3 times, and recieved a Bronze Star for heroism.

I think of him every June. He died died 58 years later, almost to the day.