PDA

View Full Version : Wet boat in 'close' proximity to powder/primers/reloaded ammo

ghh3rd
07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I know there's been discussion about moisture and storage of primers/powder, but I have another one.

I was able to store them inside until a recent move where my reloading activities have been relegated to the garage. The problem is that my boat is often wet, so I'm sure that humidity is way up there until everything dries out.

Do the powder containers seal up tightly enough to resist this amount of moisture? How about the primers - I've heard they are more moisture resistant, but how about in this type of envirionment? I was thinking of using rubbermaid tub(s) for the primers, but wonder if even those would be sufficient.

Any thoughts welcome.

Randy

AZ-Stew
07-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Do you have a spare 'fridge in the garage? If so, put the primers in ziplock bags and toss them (gently) in the fridge. The current style of plastic powder containers are adequate moisture barriers. I stored the old Hercules (Alliant) and Hodgdon powders in their metal-ended cardboard containers for years under varying conditions of temperature and humidity and never had a problem.

Regards,

Stew

Whitespider
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I live in an old farm house, over 100-years old, and all my "stuff" is in in the basement. During the spring water runs across the floor in certain areas on it's way to the floor drain, sometimes continuously for weeks. Basically the basement is damp from March through October, but from November through February it's bone dry down there; I've never had a problem with powder or primers. I was just doing some inventory last night, some of the powder is over 30-years old, some old Herter's brand primers are approaching 50-years, I'm still using both.

Actually, humidity (or even water once it's dried off) should not affect modern smokeless powder or primers I'd be more concerned about temperature variations in a garage. Sunlight and temperature variations are the two biggest enemies of powder, primers and ammunition. My basement hovers from 65 to 68 degrees year round.