PDA

View Full Version : Mold questions

walker77
07-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Im new to all this. But the bug has me. And im starting to think about trying to make my own molds. Whats the difference between a brass mold and steel? Is there any problem with making them with a cherry cutter? Ive also kicked around the idea of making them to sell, do you guys think there is any kind of market for that? Also, does anyone know where i could go to get a cherry made at a descent price? Thanks!

runfiverun
07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
walker, i would p.m. swedenelson or jiminphoenix for answers to your q's.

Buckshot
07-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Im new to all this. But the bug has me. And im starting to think about trying to make my own molds.

............Got a lathe and/or a mill, eh? :-)

Whats the difference between a brass mold and steel?

.............Brass and cast iron where the traditional materials. Brass machines very well and conducts heat well. Cast iron is durable, machines well, heats well and holds it's heat longer. Steels aren't commonly used due to possible warping issues. Normally cast iron turns to powder when drilled, however I've noticed some Lyman moulds have produced somewhat curly chips which leads me to believe their cast iron sometimes contains a lot of scrap (steel).

Aluminum is also common now as it machines well, it's easy on tooling, it's light to handle, heats well and dissipates it's heat quickly. It's also less expensive then good cast iron or brass.

Is there any problem with making them with a cherry cutter?

............Cherry cutting is the old time traditional way it's been done.

Ive also kicked around the idea of making them to sell, do you guys think there is any kind of market for that?

...............Yup. Take a look at the Group Buy forum here.

Also, does anyone know where i could go to get a cherry made at a descent price?

..............I don't know about a 'decent' price, but it would seem that chamber reamer makers could do that. In addition you could check on the net for tool grinders and specialty tool manufacturers like: http://www.melcut.com/ .We also have a couple guys here who make their own cherrys.

Thanks!

You're welcome, and also welcome to the board! You can use the search function here and come up with some additional information.

...............Buckshot

Marvin S
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Might look into making your own cherry's out of W1 or O1 round stock. Look at my 43 Spanish mold in the special projects forum, it was cut with a cherry I made.

walker77
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
That would be cool, i just dont have access to a lathe, just mills and cnc mills

Marvin S
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
4th axis?

walker77
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
We do have one at our shop, but it runs non stop. So i wouldnt be able to get time on it. By the way, what part of kansas are you from?

Marvin S
07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
North East corner.