PDA

View Full Version : Primer Storage...

jdgabbard
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
As a small spin off of the Optimum room humidity? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57333) Thread, I decide I needed to ask a question.

In that thread, something was brought to my attention, that I already knew, but didn't really think too much about. So here it goes.

When it comes to powder storage, they simply set on shelves. But primers are another story. Since there is a far amount of humidity in my house, and thus my reloading room, I've always stored primers in a .50cal ammo can to keep them from sucking up too much moister. When I first started reloading I had some issues where it seemed as though I had a week strike on the primer, or it wasn't seated completely. Turned out to just be primers that were not exactly to par. And storage in this these ammo cans seems to have solved the problem.

Well since powder technically burns, and primer (although still burns) is somewhat more of a explosion, is this so much of a good idea? I imagine not. But let me hear from you more experience loaders your thoughts on this, and how you typically store your primers...

mike in co
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
get them out of that ammo can...that is a bomb in a fire.....

go do a search...it has been discussed

just sit on the shelf is fine, you want to bag them with dessicant, fine.

mik ein co

Down South
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I've got some primers that have sat on a shelf in my reloading room for close to 30 years. They still go bang every time. Primers seem to handle humidity well. Oil is their enemy.

whisler
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I store my primers and powder in ammo cans that were used to hold expended rounds (read very large ammo cans) Since reading advice that this would be a bomb in a fire I have unlatched the lids so they just sit on top. I feel safer with them in steel cans with lids to keep away from any stray sparks. There shouldn't really be any sparks/flame in that room but I might be a worry wart. Do you see any problems with this?

jdgabbard
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Coming out of the ammo cans as of now.... Relocation: Cardboard box...

JohnH
07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Primers are a true explosive, unlike powder, which is a flammable solid. Primers have to be an explosive to detonate on the firing pin strike. Smokeless powder will not ignite or detonate from impact.

skeeter1911
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Been thinking about sealing individual bricks in heat sealed vacuum bags with desicant for longer term storage. Gotta believe they would last a lifetime like this.

tomf52
07-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Zip lock bags.

HeavyMetal
07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Something else to consider when "storing" both primers and powders is what else is in the same location with them?

WD 40 can be the biggest diasaster to happen to a reloading area! Even stored across a garage this stuff can contaminate your primers and your powder particularly if it's in a cardboard container such as the old Hercules 1 Lb'er's.

Years ago I got an old side by side refrigerator, with no latch on it just the magnetic seal, and stored powder in one side and primers in the other.
It's description fits the storage locker most fire codes call for and I have actually seen refrigerators used in gun shops to store powder and primer so I know it meets code, at least in CA.!

It does not have to work it just needs to be shut! Dissacant certainly helps with moisture and the fridge will keep the contents cool if you load it at the right time of day!

My problem with baggies is the tear with any sharp edge and thats most primer containers!

With the fridge I just fill up the shelves add the same dissacant packages I would to baggies and I'm good.

Dale53
07-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I would like to second HeavyMetal's comments regarding ANY oil or solvent in the same cabinet with primers. That has been proven to cause primer contamination.

My primers are on shelves in wooden cabinets with NO solvents or oil in the cabinet. My house is climate controlled so humidity is controlled. I have primers that have been around for a long time and have NEVER had any primer problems relating to storage.

If you have them in ammo cans (bad, bad idea) do NOT sit them on a concrete floor as that can cause condensation (you can stop that by sitting them on a thick board or piece of styrofoam). However, under NO circumstances should they be enclosed in a tight ammo can for the reasons stated above.

FWIW
Dale53

anachronism
07-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Hit the garage sales & stock up on appropriately sized Tupperware.

Bob.
07-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Been thinking about sealing individual bricks in heat sealed vacuum bags with desicant for longer term storage. Gotta believe they would last a lifetime like this.

I place a brick of primers in a thick unsealed freezer bag then seal them in the vac bags.
Double bags helps keep them from losing vacuum for longer term storage.
When useing from a brick I just keep em in the sealed freezer bag.

sheepdog
07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Coming out of the ammo cans as of now.... Relocation: Cardboard box...

lol

I use a soft plastic tub for mine and put in desiccant packs I get for free from the pharmacist. I change the packs out every month or so but its just for comfort. Most primers are pretty stable now. Think old ones when they started going away from mercury had issues but not now.

odoh
07-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I collect all the plastic bottles, i.e peanut butter, instant coffee, cashew nuts containers large enuff to hold a brick or two, w/descant and place in a large rubbermaid in the wine cellar. Powder in original containers in large rubbermaids. Temperature is constant and humidity is low.

shotman
07-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Well I am useing some herters right now in LR. They were bought in 1969 at the store in MN. They have been in same box since then . Stored in the basement of a house that was on fire. was flooded, was not heated or cooled for 12 years bottom of box has some oil stain from a freon leak above. Have not had one fail. Someone said wd 40, Ihave sprayed primers in the case and let set for weeks about half still went off I dont think you can hurt them

Bret4207
07-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Well, I still store mine in latched ammo cans. Considering where my stuff is (the old milk room in my barn) moisture is a real concern. I have had primers go bad before and some very old primers I had got rusty or corroded. I think these were WW2 era primers. Lost 'em anyways. Till I come up with a little more room and another dead 'frige that my best bet. I we have a fire the primers will be the least of my concern. The propane will probably shoot them 1/2 mile away.