PDA

View Full Version : Cold outside..........CAST

PDshooter
03-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Well it was just alittle to cold for me this weekend to go to the range:cry: . So I decided to do the next best thing..........CAST some of my favorite bullets. H&G68 W/W 208gr. Only had 2hrs, but it beats work!:drinks: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/casting/BulletMold.jpg

180 bullet in one hour of casting!

Buckshot
03-20-2006, 12:30 AM
...............When I cast, I like to cast a lot. Especially when things are going really well. I have a good supply of a bunch of different slugs cast up, but I am missing a few of my favorite numbers. My problem lately is not having the time to lube-size and then load'em up 8).

Last Tuesday I shot off the last of my pre-loaded ammo. Means I have to do the deed Monday so I'll have soemthing to shoot in the match Tuesday (that is, if it's not raining which is in the forecast).

I dislike having a time limit on my casting (the 2 hours you mentioned). When things are going well it's very hard to stop, and I resent having to.

..................Buckshot

PatMarlin
03-20-2006, 12:40 AM
I think my problem is I spend to much on this computer, when I should be in there casting.. :roll:

keeper89
03-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Buckshot, I'm the same way about it......when I sit down to cast I really won't do it if there is any immediate time limit, usually just take breaks when I refill the old Lee 20 pounder.......don't know if that makes me a maniac or just severely addicted but one thing is for sure--I do have a lot of boolits!:-D

454PB
03-20-2006, 01:50 AM
See....there are some advantages to living where it's cold and snowy. By spring, I usually have three or four thousand new boolits cast, and every empty case loaded.

David R
03-20-2006, 07:28 AM
I have poured a bunch this winter. Now I just bought a brand new used Dillon. Not an empty rifle brass to be found. Got aobut 1,000 45s to laod up then thats all.

I am a sinner, Woodchuck season is coming soon, so I am getting my 22-250 ready and some of those outlaw yeller boolits.

David

rbstern
03-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice boolits, PD.

When I started casting, I subscribed to the "large batch" philosophy. Didn't want to cast unless I had time to make big piles.

I mounted all of my casting gear on a wheeled cart, and now am happy to roll it outside to the porch and bang out 50 rifle or a couple hundred pistol boolits whenever the mood suits me. Without the setup routine to deal with, just throw some ingots in the pot, go do something else for 15 minutes, then come back and start casting. Lee molds help with this approach, since the heat up happens a bit faster. When done, unplug, and roll back inside.

NVcurmudgeon
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I prefer to cast in early spring, about now. It is cool enough for enjoyable casting, but not quite Arctic in my garage with all the doors open. Setting up is quite easy because I have a dedicated casting bench. I usually cast for 200 mould cycles or 300 if it is going very well. The limiting factor seems to be slow walking fatigue, similar to gunshowitis. I cast while standing because it is easier to get out of the way of potential spills if I am already up! Inventory tells me that ten or twelve casting sessions should produce enough boolits to see me through until next spring.

NVcurmudgeon
03-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I prefer to cast in early spring, about now. It is cool enough for enjoyable casting, but not quite Arctic in my garage with all the doors open. Setting up is quite easy because I have a dedicated casting bench. I usually cast for 200 mould cycles or 300 if it is going very well. The limiting factor seems to be slow walking fatigue, similar to gunshowitis. I cast while standing because it is easier to get out of the way of potential spills if I am already up! Inventory tells me that ten or twelve casting sessions should produce enough boolits to see me through until next spring.

swheeler
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Bill, have you been having double vision? I have! ha-ha-ha