PDA

View Full Version : New Cast Boolit sgooter coming home

stocker
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
My lady and I travelled north through snow, slush and ice to Fort St.John a couple days ago. It was an 11 hour drive from home and usually only takes 8 to 9 hours. It's still serious winter up here at -25 degrees at night. Ostensibly I'm here to be around when my first great grand child arrives (sometime later this evening it looks like) and 'm pretty excited about that.

On the way I picked up a couple of rifles that my son had dealt on and I was also transporting a mint pre 64 M 70 in 243 that I planned to give my son. I have owned it a long time and it is a shooter but he has always wanted it and I seldom use it any more.

By the end of the first evening I was the owner of one of the rifles he had dealt on and I had transported for him; a M64 rifle in 32 special. Exterior will need my tender ministrations as it has been carried and used a lot but the bore is sharp and bright and the rifle has a good Redfield micrometer already on it. He called our deal a trade and like most father/son reciprocal arrangements we're both happy.

Love to have a new shooting project and this winter it will make two as I also sent a M70 push feed to a gunsmith friend last week to have a 35 Whelen barrel screwed on. Have already prepared a high end fiber glass stock for that one. Only requires fitting the barrel channel and bedding for minimal clearance.Unlike my Mauser in 35 Whelen this push feed 70 will feed anything I stuff in the magazine including empty cases, wadcutters and above all the 358009 heavy.

It is going to be a very good year what with a new child in the family and new rifles.

Buckshot
03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
.................The rifle stuff sounds nice. SOme nifty stuff changed hands, but the best part is becoming a Great Grandpa 8)! Another one to spoil and turn back over to the parents to deal with.

.................Buckshot

stocker
03-20-2006, 02:00 AM
The verdict is in and it's a boy. 7 lbs 12 ounces by C-section. Every one is floating.
I just realized I have to find a mini Mauser and start a special project!

carpetman
03-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Stocker---Congrats. Was the 7lbs 12 oz before or after circumcision? When they did mine,I couldnt walk for a year.

Ranch Dog
03-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Congratulations!!!

Sky C.
03-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Congrats Stocker!

That mini-mauser idea is top notch! Start 'em young!

Best regards-

Sky

stocker
03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys. Got a chance to see and hold him today. He has the right squint to be a sharpshooter. Mother is pretty beat and has an incision 14" wide. You'd think they were splitting a beef.

I think a light rifle like a 25/223 might be a good starter for him in a few years. Just have to find the right basic action. Even a short older Sako would be a good platform to build on. Better start making it now in case I'm not around when he's old enough.

The Nyack Kid
03-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Congrats Stocker
on your great grandson
One of the funnest starter/kid guns is a pump-ation 22LR .
since your having lots of luck finding old winchesters .......im still drooling

stocker
03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Nyack Kid: Yep it would be but I better go in a way that his Grand dad isn't likely to cover from his collection.

rvpilot76
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
My lady and I travelled north through snow, slush and ice to Fort St.John a couple days ago. It was an 11 hour drive from home and usually only takes 8 to 9 hours. It's still serious winter up here at -25 degrees at night. Ostensibly I'm here to be around when my first great grand child arrives (sometime later this evening it looks like) and 'm pretty excited about that.

On the way I picked up a couple of rifles that my son had dealt on and I was also transporting a mint pre 64 M 70 in 243 that I planned to give my son. I have owned it a long time and it is a shooter but he has always wanted it and I seldom use it any more.

By the end of the first evening I was the owner of one of the rifles he had dealt on and I had transported for him; a M64 rifle in 32 special. Exterior will need my tender ministrations as it has been carried and used a lot but the bore is sharp and bright and the rifle has a good Redfield micrometer already on it. He called our deal a trade and like most father/son reciprocal arrangements we're both happy.

Love to have a new shooting project and this winter it will make two as I also sent a M70 push feed to a gunsmith friend last week to have a 35 Whelen barrel screwed on. Have already prepared a high end fiber glass stock for that one. Only requires fitting the barrel channel and bedding for minimal clearance.Unlike my Mauser in 35 Whelen this push feed 70 will feed anything I stuff in the magazine including empty cases, wadcutters and above all the 358009 heavy.

It is going to be a very good year what with a new child in the family and new rifles.
What is the model on that Mauser? Regrettably, I sold a Mauser in 35 Whelen that my father had built for me; I've kicked myself ever since. Mine was a 1909 Argentine, and very nice.

Kevin

Maineboy
03-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Congratulations on you're first great-grandchild! Mrs. Maineboy and I are just getting into the grandchild business, one seven month old granddaughter from Maineboy Jr. and his wife and now Maine daughter and son-in-law have announced an addition due this fall. We're enjoying the heck out of this!

stocker
04-01-2006, 11:52 AM
rvp76; The rifle started life as a Sears Model 50 30-06 on a commercial FN action. In the rebuild it got a Timney trigger, M-70 style 3 position safety, new stock in M70 FW style and of course a new barrel. Very nice rifle and shoots very well but is too selective on what it wants to feed 100 % of the time. I'll keep it for use with 358009 and jacketed as those work fine. The new one will give me lots of options for boolits to try out as fancy may take me.

MB- Yeah kids are great and I especially like the ones you visit and then leave for their parents to try and unspoil after you've gone.

9.3X62AL
04-01-2006, 12:05 PM
One of the greatest joys of retirement is the extra time it provides for spoiling my grandbabies (2 boys so far). Congratulations on the new great-grandchild, and I hope Mom's recovery goes well.

454PB
04-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Congratulations on the grand baby. If I'd known how much fun grandkids where gonna be, I would have had more kids!