PDA

View Full Version : It never rains, but it pours.

Four Fingers of Death
07-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I haven't really seen a decent second hand lever gun for sale for awhile. Recently I tripped over a 1975 built Marlin 336 in 30/30 whioch has a good bore, but shows wear from a saddle scabbard. A week later I tripped over a nice pre 64 model 94 in 30/30, dang! Known history, been looked after and has a great bore. A few spots where the bluing is worn off in spots (looks liek a couple of bloodstains that have been cleaned up)-had to have that one.

Went back to the store in Sydney to take some pics (permits are slow coming at the moment, I will post pics when I get home, I'm in an internet cafe' at the moment). While I was at the store I spotted a Mossberg Model 679 30/30 which looked very nice (well a bit gawky, but in great condition with a mint bore, 18" odd barrel length) and was as cheap as chips.

So for the price that a nice 336 normally brings I have picked up a 336 with scabbard wear and a Mossberg, both with as new barrels.

I was going to sell the 94 Classic to help pay for the pre 64, but as I pulled it out of the safe, I took one look at the fabulous wood, cussed and put it back in the safe. Probably need to pick up a pre 64 action and swap the bits across.

What was it my Grandpa and Dad used to say? A fool and his money are soon parted I thnk it was. :D

EDK
07-04-2009, 03:09 AM
It's a lot easier to buy guns here in the US, but the situation happens here also.

I got interested in RUGER BISLEY VAQUEROS and found a stainless pair at a local shop just before the prices went through the roof. At the time, Missouri had a permit system for handguns...$10 charge for a permit to purchase and usually was processed "while you wait" and then out the door IF you had gotten a permit previously. I put one in layaway and then got the permit, but the second gun had been sold. I found a blued BISLEY VAQUERO for $100 less than the stainless gun and got a permit for it also. When I picked up the stainless gun, the buyer had cancelled on the second one. So I went from 0 to 3 BISLEYS in about two weeks and my allowance was in hock for a couple of months until I worked some overtime and generated some extra money.

This year I found a clean Old Model RUGER 357/9mm Blackhawk while looking for a 24 inch 357 MARLIN Cowboy rifle. I pursued some internet leads for the 24 inch, but they were sold or no reply. Gunbroker had a "like NIB" 20 inch 357 Cowboy at $625 BUY NOW, so I bought it and sent off the FFL copy and money order on Monday. When I got home off 4-to-12 Tuesday morning, I had an email for a "used but not abused" 24 inch gun for $500 from a gentleman in California; the gun had an action job, etc and was about 90% condition...or better. The 20 inch is a handy little gun, but is not drilled and tapped for my preferred LYMAN receiver sights while the 24 inch is. The longer barrel just feels better in my hands.

A "semi-collectable firearm" is a good investment, especially if the price is right. I have a 30/30 Cowboy rifle I picked up at a good price AFTER scouting out a straight grip 30/30 MARLIN to send to the factory for new wood and re-barreling with the Cowboy barrel and magazine tube. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it as is or ship it to the factory. Those 24 inch octagon barrels keep calling my name.

Remember what Grandpa said..."It don't eat!" The price will only go up on these good discontinued guns.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Bret4207
07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
It never fails. Anytime I see a gun I really lust after I'm certain to be broke. Since giving up my last credit card I just turn sadly and walk away, crying like a little girly man. Such is life.......

no34570
07-04-2009, 07:58 PM
It never fails. Anytime I see a gun I really lust after I'm certain to be broke. Since giving up my last credit card I just turn sadly and walk away, crying like a little girly man. Such is life.......

Your right on the button there mate,know how it feels,to want a rifle you have been lusting after and have to say no:(:(

no34570

hpdrifter
07-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Your right on the button there mate,know how it feels,to want a rifle you have been lusting after and have to say no:(:(

no34570

Life story.

Four Fingers of Death
07-05-2009, 03:58 AM
There is an old Jewish proverb that makes a lot of sense, " don't go to an auction when you are poor."

Bret4207
07-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Used up all my luck when I bought a Winchester 52 AND a Remington 511 for a grand total of $10.00 for both. 'Nuff said!

shdwlkr
07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I found a model 92 miroku winchester a few months back when I went in to my local gun shop to see if they could get me a ithaca home defense shotgun. Well I put everything on layaway so I have time to see if I really want to get it and wouldn't you know it while paying off the 92 another miroku 1886 came in and is calling me but I can't get it because I am paying on the ithaca which will be out of jail in September and if that 1886 is still there then it most likely will go on layaway.
I have found that I am buying less and paying a whole lot more for it. Oh forgot have to get me a 30-06 as the wife won't let me use her's so there is another rifle to buy. Most likely that will be a Vanguard as I can get one of them new for around $400 or so which is a good price and I like the longer barrels anyway.

Beekeeper
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
You might cry like a girle man Brett but doesn't it feel good not to have to make the credit card payments.
I too am trying to ween myself away from the credit card and it sure hurts sometimes

beekeeper

shdwlkr
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
If I ever get back to work paying off some of lingering bills will be the first thing the money goes for and then I can look at what to do next.
I think we are going to see a lot more green at the cash register soon and whole lot of less buying for sure but then things will get really slow as the impulse buyer will be gone.

Bret4207
07-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Give it another few months and the BUYER may be gone period. I hear it's suggested you buy your Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys now as they may be over $50.00 for a 20 pounder by then. Inflation my friends.