PDA

View Full Version : Another lube question.

Marvin S
07-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I have one pound cake's of bees wax and bought a nice little cake pan today and some olive oil and was going to melt and mix but decided to post first.Will the 50/50 wax and olive oil be a suitable boolit lube for my 43 Spanish using smokeless at say maybe 1400fps? Will it be okay for hot weather if rounds are loaded and stored for quite awhile? Or will it be to soft and sloppy? Thanks.

SciFiJim
07-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Define hot weather.
It's been 100* + here for the last week. The sticks of carnauba red laying down on a shelf in my workshop are slumping from the heat. I pan lube with them so shape doesn't matter to me. I have to take ammo to the range in an ice chest to keep it cool. I may just stick with tumble lubing with XLOX for the summer.

Beeswax melts at about 145*. If you leave you ammo on a shooting bench in the sun, it can get hot enough to melt the wax. However, once seated the neck tension of the brass should keep the lube in place. Just don't store your ammo in the sun. I don't have any experience with shooting with lube I know to be in a liquid state before firing. Might make for an interesting experiment.

outdoorfan
07-04-2009, 12:07 AM
I think 50% olive oil will be way to much. I would start around 20% and go up from there 'till you get the consistency you're looking for.

357maximum
07-04-2009, 12:33 AM
I personally would recommend a 60-70% beeswax/ 30-40% petroleum jelly mix over the EVOO mix.

Marvin S
07-04-2009, 10:29 AM
It does get that hot here but I avoid it. Maybe 90F. I thought about cutting the oil back some but am open to other readily obtainable items to mix with it.
Would I mix the petroleum jelly the same as the oil? Just melt in cake pan on warm untill wax melts then stir in jelly until blended ?
Could just save the oil to cook with.

runfiverun
07-04-2009, 10:35 AM
olive oil will break down the b-wax over time causing the lube to get softer and softer.
you could mix some johnsons paste wax with the bees wax for a pretty good lube at the vels you are looking at.
melt the b-wax and add the jpw in while it's hot,some lanolin/vaseline to this is fine also.

Marvin S
07-04-2009, 10:45 AM
What would the ratio of paste wax to bee wax be?

runfiverun
07-04-2009, 12:19 PM
i like 3-1 jpw to b-wax and use it as a tuble/swirl lube.
if it's going in a lubrisizer some vaseline as mike suggested would be appropriate for viscosity.

Marvin S
07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Okay Ill think these over and maybe try something tomorrow.