PDA

View Full Version : Leading?

Johnw...ski
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Just got back from the range. Today I loaded some of the boolits from the 462560
mould I got on a recent group buy. The lead I used is an unknown mix as most of my lead is but the cast boolits are 545 gr. which is the correct weight and are
15.4 BHN. That is how I always determine my lead mix, by weight in a known mould and hardness. The boolits were sized to .460 and the lube was BAC from White Label. My barrel slugs at .4582. The load in a .458 Win Mag with CCI 250 primers, 59.0 gr. IMR 4064 which should give a velocity of around 1730 FPS."

I sighted in on an SR-1 target at 100 yds. offhand, after a minor sight adjustment,
I was shooting 6" groups offhand which is about right for my ability.

When I got home and started cleaning the rifle, the first several patches came out with quite a lot of lead on them. The funny thing is I was able to get almost all the lead out with wet patches, one swipe with my Lewis lead remover did the rest. It's not like the barrel was really leaded, it came out so easily, but there was certainly lead there.

I have been having a similar problem with my .35 Whelen, I can shoot Glenhills Cast Boolits (245 gr. sized to .359) with great accuracy at around 2000 FPS but my 245 gr. boolits from a similar mould sized to .359 with BAC lube and a BHN about 2.0 harder leads whenever I get near that velocity.

Does anyone on here know how White Label Red Carnuba would compare to the Glenhills green lube? I think I could cure this leading with a better lube.

I look forward to hearing any comments about this.

Thanks,

John

Johnw...ski
07-04-2009, 07:35 AM
The above doesn't seem to be excessively hot, as a matter of fact its the minimum load in my Lyman book.

BAC should be suitable for around 1700 FPS velocity with a hardness of 15.4 BHN.

What am I missing.

Thanks,

John

wallenba
07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't load for rifle, but 15.4 BHN is about marginal for some of my handgun loads at about 21000 PSI. I would think the BHN should be nearer the mid to high 30's for that much pressure.

runfiverun
07-04-2009, 02:03 PM
where is the leading?
is it just a flake here and there?
do you clean between groups?
is the bore wet or seasoned?
is it affecting your groups?
one thing at a time and track it down,maybe a slight alloy change or lower the antimony and water drop.[slightly higher bhn maybe an 18] a lube change [maybe] i don't think red would add much to what you have now.