PDA

View Full Version : Marlin chamber problem

btroj
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I had posted here before about the trouble I had getting loaded rounds to chamber in my 336 of 1973 era. I tried turning necks, sizing with the shellhoalder tight to the bottom of the die, smaller diameter bullets, even different brass manufacturers. Winchester brass was always a problem but most RP brass was OK.

On a whim I tried a different size die and BAM, no more trouble. Every case works like a charm and I don't even come close to pushing the shoulder back. Looks like the trouble was the NEW RCBS sizer was not sizing the body just below the shoulder enough. With all that taper it was needing a bit of force to chamber and extraction was worse. A 50's era Herters die works great.

Thanks to the father in law for letting me try the die. I've never had this trouble before in 25 years of reloading but it shows that you never know where the trouble lies. Trust nothing til you've proven it's not the answer.

Brad

NVcurmudgeon
07-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Brad, phone RCBS, using the 800 number from their website and you will be amazed at how quickly you receive a replacement die, no charge. Or such has been my experience for lo, these fifty years. Their warranty is iron clad, but personal contact with a real human being helps to expedite the process.

btroj
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
That's my plan. Just shows though that we can take nothing for granted. Tolerances being what they are not everything works the way we expect.

I'm sure all will be OK but also wanted newbies to understand that they need to try numerous things sometimes to get the desired result.

Brad