PDA

View Full Version : New casting technique

Blammer
07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Ok, I'm starting my new casting technique.

Why? Well I just got a Lee pro4- 20lb bottom pour pot.

Man that thing holds a lot of lead! (compared to my lyman minimag )
And heats up fast too!

Before this all I did was ladle cast, got pretty good at it too. Usually had to wait 30-45 min to get it hot enough to cast.

Now, after finally getting the hang of the bottom pour, adjusting the spout speed, and other stuff.

I've now cast about all the bullets I'll ever need for a year!

Maybe this wasn't such a good thing....:-D

I hauled out a lee 6c that I normally only use 2-3 cav on because I can't ladle pour fast enough to keep it hot for good boolit on 6C. I must have cast about 250 bullets before I knew how many I had! it's great!

Soon I'll probably wonder what was it like before I had this pot...

I'm glad I got it!

rockrat
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Yup, with a 6 cavity and a 20 lb pot, you can sure cast up a bunch of boolits rapidly. You will look at that pile and groan that now you have to size/lube them. !!!

Jim_Fleming
07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Heh! If you use Lee Tumble Lube, you'll groan when you realize how much money you're gonna spend in powder and primers 'getting rid of them blue pills' that're unfired and needing to pass thru yer barrels! LMBO!

uncle joe
07-03-2009, 07:32 AM
hey Blammer if you had a 6 cav for everything you shoot you would run out of lead pretty quick huhh?

Blammer
07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
yep 500lbs of lead probably wouldn't get to far. :)

Boerrancher
07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Bottom pours are a wonderful pieces of equipment arn't they? Even with a 2 cav mould you can rack up a pile of boolits mighty fast.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

theperfessor
07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
It's not just the time you save and the volume of bullets you get that make bottom pours so neat. The fatigue factor is a big reason, since it cuts out about 50% of the hand motions needed to cast good bullets.

HABCAN
07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Happy for ya, Blammer! My old LEE 10-pounder must be over 25 years old by now...........looks like it'll outlast me! It works as well today as when it was bought and I've only really emptied it and cleaned its spout once ( last year, courtesy of info on this site). Come to think of it, until I joined here and learned so much, that's about 15 or twenty years of cursing at it and boolit casting in general, and I've been playing catch-up/make up/apologise with it ever since thanks to all here.

SciFiJim
07-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Congratulations on the bottom pour pot. You are [smilie=2: now! For now I am still ladleing mine.

Buckshot
07-04-2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.fototime.com/FC7FB74B506D8FB/standard.jpg

............Lee 132gr GB 6 banger 6.5mm. About 2 hour's actual casting time after futzing around getting the alloy hardness I was wanting.

http://www.fototime.com/34DC7833A633206/standard.jpg

One of the best, easiest to use moulds I have is the standard Lee 6 cav for their 148gr WC. It's no problem to cast up over a thousand of'em in about 4 hours actual casting time. They simply fall from the blocks like rain. You have to stop about every halfhour to dump back the sprues and add a couple more ingots, then flux.

It's nice to have several hundred 38 Special WC's all loaded up. Makes it very simple to grab a couple boxes and a pistol to go along with whatever else you're taking to the range. If I had to cast them 2 at a time I probably would think twice about it.

...............Buckshot