PDA

View Full Version : Moving Down

Dr. A
04-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I am a lurker here, and in fact you guys for the most part helped me get started in cast on the older board. For two seasons now, I have used my 45-70 with a 405gr. Mountain Molds boolet. I send it down the tube about 1980fps and have used it with good success on quite a few deer, 7 bison, and one elk. I also like shooting my 30-30's and 356 and have a newer 375. For those that have used an abundance of calibers, will I be taking a big step down in effect? The 356 load I have simply screams. It does, however, not have a big metplat like my other Mountain Molds boolet. I am a bit apprehensive moving on down. The 375 seems to have a big throat, and some will use a .245 metplat on it. It would seem I could almost bump that up a bit with a custom job from MM. Finally, I do have the RCBS 180 and Lyman 311041. I usually shoot these about 1900fps. Would these be enough for a chest shot Kansas size deer? Some are up over 200# fairly easily! The 45-70 has made it all look so easy. My past apprehension to moving to cast was for nothing (for the 45-70). With a well placed chest shot, what is your experience?

Bass Ackward
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
I am a lurker here, and in fact you guys for the most part helped me get started in cast on the older board.

Finally, I do have the RCBS 180 and Lyman 311041. I usually shoot these about 1900fps. Would these be enough for a chest shot Kansas size deer? Some are up over 200# fairly easily!

Dr. A,

Surprised huh? Well .... you're in for another.

You are good for broad side to quarting shots with those if you use some form of mix in the 12-16 BHN range. No Texas heart shots. Just stay under 100 yards and smile.