PDA

View Full Version : Bullet sizing question

BobinIL
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I have two rifles cambered for 50-70. One is an original 1868 trapdoor Springfield and the other is a Pedersoli Sharps replica. The trapdoor slugs at .512 and the pedersoli slugs at .510. My molds are dropping bullets at .514. the only sizer die I have for my lubrisizer is .515. Basically all I am doing is lubing the bullets no sizing is happening when I run them through the sizer. I know they are fine for the trapdoor but can I shoot these in the sharps as well? I am using smokeless powder and wheel weights for lead. Muzzle velocity is around 1200fps.

BABore
07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I have two rifles cambered for 50-70. One is an original 1868 trapdoor Springfield and the other is a Pedersoli Sharps replica. The trapdoor slugs at .512 and the pedersoli slugs at .510. My molds are dropping bullets at .514. the only sizer die I have for my lubrisizer is .515. Basically all I am doing is lubing the bullets no sizing is happening when I run them through the sizer. I know they are fine for the trapdoor but can I shoot these in the sharps as well? I am using smokeless powder and wheel weights for lead. Muzzle velocity is around 1200fps.

Measure the fired case ID from the Sharps. It needs to be from a full pressure round and preferrably a new case. You also need to avoid measuring where the crimp is, if any is present. What your looking for is the chamber dimensions. You can shoot an oversized boolit if it will chamber and allow for enough brass expansion to release the boolit. Typically, if a boolit will just slip fit into a fired case (crimp removed), then it will be fine. The brass expands to seal the chamber, then springs back a couple thousandths. As an alternative, you could play will both alloy and alloy temperature to reduce the boolit diameter. Spray on mold release will also reduce your size. You should be able to get it down to 0.512 easily for your Sharps.

Buckshot
07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
.............Or you can simply load a dummy round with the boolit and then try it in the chamber. If it chambers easily full length you're good to go. If you normally seat a bit longish to let the breech block chamber the last few thou, seat the boolit deeper for this check.

.............Buckshot