PDA

View Full Version : Patriotic Duty...

Old Ironsights
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm smelting & Casting over Independence Weekend. I need to reload about 1500 .357s too... my Constitution Defense/Basic Load is getting low...

BarryinIN
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I think I'll be shooting an IDPA match on Independence Day. Seems proper.

captaint
06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Me & my son have a high power shoot - 10:00 am. Gotta do that duty dontcha know. Enjoy Mike

sundog
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Annual Independence Day Military Bolt Match (always have one on the 4th regardless of day of week). I'll be shooting an 03A3! Then, close and set up the range up for BIG fireworks display (commercial) that evening. Fix hamburgers and swim in the afternoon and then back the range that evening for the fireworks.

GUNFIRE (CANNON FIRE) -- THE SOUND OF LIBERTY ! ! !

358wcf
06-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I think I will--
Visitors have arrived, and they want me to take them to the range to pop some primers--
Just about out of 9mm, 358, 44 and 45-- lots of casting to be done.
The pot is just about up to temp, so gotta go, but I will cast up about a thousand or so in the next 4 days-
Oops, almost forgot I'm low on 30 and 37 for the rifles as well-
Gotta get to it-

It's not just a right given us by the constitution, it is a duty and responsibility.
Teach someone to cast this year! We'll be better off for it!

358wcf

Trey45
06-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I'll be hopefully reloading some 7.62x39 for the 1st time! Neighbors have fireworks and we usually shoot in the backyard , nothing behind the house but a couple miles of swamp.

felix
06-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Trey, turn up the speakers when you play that Johnny Horton song. I want to hear about where the rabbits won't go and the guns going off at the same time. ... felix

Patrick L
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I like to get to the range and shoot a "patriotic" rifle; ie a Garand, 03, or my M1 carbine. I also try to make it a point to do this on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day too.

As it is though, my son and I are going to shoot a "retro" skeet match, pump or sxs guns only, and following the old style course of fire. That being the case, I think I'll do my 4th of July shooting on either the 3rd or the 5th. Close enough?

Lead Fred
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Off to rondy, out in the woods with the smell of campfires and black powder!

Set the wayback machine for 1800

BOOM BOOM
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
HI,
To hot to smelt or cast, just right to shoot in A.M.
Shot 100 rounds yest. & today as a warm up.

Jim
06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I gotta bunch of blanks loaded up and I'm gonna wake up the dead.

Curly James
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I will be attending a Tea Party protest rally on the 4th, the IDPA match is on the 5th. It's gonna be a good weekend and I have Friday off to cast and load ammo.

archmaker
06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Plan on shooting my first IDPA match.

Seems fitting that it happen on the 4th.

The last time I shoot pistols in a match was late 90's, been to long.

Old Ironsights
06-30-2009, 08:33 PM
AFAIK no TEA parties nearby - or I'd be there.

I DO use the Flintlock & Howda to launch fireballs on the night of the 4th though...

BarryinIN
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Just so you guys are aware, there is a Second Amendment email campaign set for July 4, with the hopes of getting at least one million pro-gun emails to congress that day.
The basic plan cut and pasted:

This is happening on July 4 2009

We do not want to just throw a bunch of email at them. We need to be constructive about it. Give them time to receive them. My only fear is that being it will be a holiday nobody will be checking their emails and their mailbox will get full. If this happens then you should follow the same schedule but on July 5, 6, 7, just keep on trying until you get your mail sent.

FIRST
I think we should Email our Senators and State Representatives. If you are not sure who yours is, go here
http://rtkba.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11350

SECOND
Grab one of our pre written letters or write your own.
You can find the sample letters here.
http://rtkba.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11343

THIRD
Make sure you fill in the persons name at the top of the letter and your name at the bottom. Feel free to edit the letters as you desire.

There are 24 hours in a day and 26 charters in the alphabet. My thinking is this. We divide the day up into three eight hour sections.

From 12:01 AM - 8:00 AM anybody with a last name that starts wit A thru H should send their emails

From 8:01 AM - 4:00 PM anybody with the last name that starts with I thru Q should send their emails

From 4:01 PM - 12:00 AM anybody with the last name that starts with R thru Z should send their emails

Also if you would not mind putting in a little bit of extra effort, you can print the letter and mail it to them. The contact links will give you mailing information as well. The more we send them the more they will get that we exist and we want our guns.

Please spread the word. We can do this.

Old Ironsights
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Barry. :drinks:

Curly James
06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Hey OI, go here www.teapartyday.com and look for a location near you...........

hpdrifter
06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna cast some 54 roundball to shoot in my near complete Henry.

Will send email to dc

nicholst55
06-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Just so you guys are aware, there is a Second Amendment email campaign set for July 4, with the hopes of getting at least one million pro-gun emails to congress that day.

Not to be a pessemist, but Cogress left town at least a week ago, and Friday is a federal holiday. I will still send a hand-written letter by snail-mail, because Congress doesn't consider e-mail as a "real" message.

Firebricker
07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
I heard there is going to be a open carry demonstration in Columbus,Ohio to protest some
more useless gun laws trying to be forced through. I'll get the details and repost incase any
local members are interested. FB

07-01-2009, 01:03 AM
I am going to hang with my younger sister it's her birthday I"ll sadly be apart from my bench.

BarryinIN
07-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Effects of letter vs email:

Yeah, I'm not much on emails for that reason and thought about that at first, but started to feel a little better about emails recently. When the gov't halted sales of surplus ammo components (briefly) recently, I used email as a means of contact just for the speed. I got replies from two of the three congressmen I sent them to. That surprised me, since I expected zero acknowledgment or response and got 2 out of 3.

Just based on that, I'm guessing somebody reads them, even if it's first-day volunteer staffer. And that is more than nothing, which is more than I expected and what I would have got by doing nothing that time.

I still think a letter is best, will always push that, and they do suggest a letter instead.
I think their idea is to get numbers, and do something as many people as possible will do. And let's face it: I think an email is about all you can expect to get from most people. People know and say a letter is best, but doing it is different. I may be wrong, but I think I'd rather see thousands of emails than a couple dozen letters.

I don't think that a flood of emails will go unnoticed, whether anyone is home or not.
If they do get a flood of them, I won't expect an answer this time.

armyrat1970
07-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Well I have to work on the 4th but I plan to BQ a little on the 5th and try a casting session if no rain. Will buy a few fireworks to shoot off with my grandkids. Will send some emails to the congressmen. I always do that on a monthly basis or as things come up. Only have one that will respond to me with positive response. The others I will place my vote against in the 2010 election. The way I see it, if they feel the way I did they would send me a reply. No response is a sure note they need to be out. Early Happy 4th to all and your own.

Patrick L
07-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Well, like I said, I did my 4th of July thing yesterday. I took the 03A3, the Garand, and the M1 carbine to the range. More importantly, I took a non-shooter with me. Needless to say, he had a blast. Hopefully there's another convert.

Today I'm taking the son to a vintage skeet shoot.

armyrat1970
07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Well, like I said, I did my 4th of July thing yesterday. I took the 03A3, the Garand, and the M1 carbine to the range. More importantly, I took a non-shooter with me. Needless to say, he had a blast. Hopefully there's another convert.

Today I'm taking the son to a vintage skeet shoot.

Patrick, that's one thing we all need to do when we have the chance! Yes indeed!:drinks:

cajun shooter
07-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Felix, You are a few states off on that Johnny Horton song. It's the state that borders you that the song was about. It took place during the War of 1812 . We ran through the bushes and we ran through the briar's We ran were a rabbit wouldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch'm down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. Battle of New Orleans Man I'm getting old; we sang that song as kids while standing on the levee watching the river in New Orleans. We really liked the part about when the barrel of the cannon melted so they grabbed a alligator and fought another round. Happy 4th to Everyone!! Hope our soldiers come home soon to the families that wait for them.

anachronism
07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
It's raining this morning, so no smelting today. We have a TEA Party from 12:00 to 2:00 that I'll attend.

theperfessor
07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
It's raining here and I'm not very mobile right now so I'm going to spend part of day casting bullets in garage. Have some molds I haven't tried yet, seems like a good day to break 'em in.

Plan to read a little military history this evening to honor all our warriors, living and dead, who defend(ed) our country and our freedoms. May their gods preserve their souls as the heroes they truly are.

To all the veterans who may read this: Your courage, honor, and sacrifice are deeply appreciated by this American.

crabo
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I shot a 22 lever silhouette match this morning. Can't get much more patriotic than that!

DLCTEX
07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I took off the #rd and loaded up some 222 Rem (j words) and went to a nearby prarie dog town and fired 50 rounds. My scope was looking too high and I used 7 or 8 shots geting "on". Then managed to get about 20 dogs before they decided to stay down for a while. Today I loaded 50 rounds of 22 hornet and went back to bother them some more. I fired 21 rounds and scored on 10 dogs. I'll load some 225438 cast for the Hornet and go to a bigger town tomorrow. Tonight we'll go to Wheeler for the fireworks display. Had a nice little rain storm just now to cool things off. First chance to load and shoot in months, sure is relaxing.

BarryinIN
07-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I shot an IDPA match, then sent my emails to congressmen.
We had 65 shooters at the match today. That's about 20 more than usual.

Old Ironsights
07-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Got 500# of ingots done yesterday. Raining today (4th).

07-04-2009, 08:17 PM
met up with a high school friend, shot the AK the mosin, the freedom arms 454 (his not mine wow was that fun) .45s, 38s. Great time!

hammerhead357
07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Would someone that has a problem with rain send some of it to South Texas, please....... It's drier than a popcorn fart at a 4th of July rodeo here. Also hot been of 100 for about 2+ weeks here every day...Wes

MakeMineA10mm
07-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Did my patriotic duty - Casted up some Boomer Mikey GB 431640s, some Buckshot-modified 358156 hollow-points (couple varieties), some of my Slippery 9mms, and a few other lead boolits. It was a cool, rainy, cloudy day - perfect for casting and horrible for fireworks...

Jim
07-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Last night, about dusk, I lit off some blanks I loaded for the occasion. 3/4 full .308 case of Bullseye in an old SMLE Tanker. I plugged the cases with foam ear plugs. No pressure signs at all. Sounded like a Howitzer.:-D

armyrat1970
07-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Felix, You are a few states off on that Johnny Horton song. It's the state that borders you that the song was about. It took place during the War of 1812 . We ran through the bushes and we ran through the briar's We ran were a rabbit wouldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch'm down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. Battle of New Orleans Man I'm getting old; we sang that song as kids while standing on the levee watching the river in New Orleans. We really liked the part about when the barrel of the cannon melted so they grabbed a alligator and fought another round. Happy 4th to Everyone!! Hope our soldiers come home soon to the families that wait for them.

Hey Cajun. Although you got the state right you did forget a little of the lyrics. I believe it was ( They ran through the bushes and they ran through the brambles. They ran through the briars where a rabbit couldn't go)[smilie=w: Ain't it hell gettin' old?
Hope you and your family had a happy and safe 4th.

WILCO
07-05-2009, 10:04 AM
by heading to the range and shooting my very first box of cast boolits!!!
Even had my daughter sending them down range with the VZ24 (She's a natural shot. Made me proud when she worked the bolt with a smile!). The bonus round came when I scored a book about cast boolits that was left on the "freebie" table in the club house.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/jato321/2.jpg

JohnH
07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Not to be a pessemist, but Cogress left town at least a week ago, and Friday is a federal holiday. I will still send a hand-written letter by snail-mail, because Congress doesn't consider e-mail as a "real" message.

I email my representatives regularly about a wide range of topics and always get back snail mail responses. I know someone in the office is reading the email and it is obvious they consider email just a valid as any other contact method. You can consider an email address for your rep. proof in the pudding.

www.senate.gov/general/contact.../senators_cfm.cfm

www.house.gov/writerep/

redneckdan
07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Cajun. Although you got the state right you did forget a little of the lyrics. I believe it was ( They ran through the bushes and they ran through the brambles. They ran through the briars where a rabbit couldn't go)[smilie=w: Ain't it hell gettin' old?

( They ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles. They ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go)

One of my favorite songs....even though I've never been south of tennessee. Another forum I'm part of I post a link to a youtube rendition of that song when ever the folks across the pond get a mite big fer their britches....usually erks them pretty good too.:mrgreen:

crabo
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM

You might as well get them right, you both failed the test.

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

[Chorus:]
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

[Chorus]

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

armyrat1970
07-08-2009, 08:04 AM
You might as well get them right, you both failed the test.

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

[Chorus:]
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

[Chorus]

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

[Chorus]

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

I guess we all make mistakes at times as I believe it was "We fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans".:)
Great song and haven't heard it in awhile.

bruce drake
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
The Battle of New Orleans was actually fought after the US and Great Britain signed a peace treaty ending the war. The news of the signing reached the city several days after the battle.

If the US had the same type of Democrats we have now, back then, they would have arrested Gen Jackson as a war criminal. Instead, he was elected the first Democratic Party President. My, how times have changed. Now we have Democrats declaring that we have no need for armed forces if we can appease or be "diplomatic" to the rogue nations of the world.

I wonder if President Andrew Jackson (D) flipped over in his grave after hearing that. Did you know that President Jackson also crushed the Federal Bank when it got too large. hmmm, now we have a Federal Reserve Bank that is immensely expanding its powers...

It isn't the same Political Party that it once was....

Bruce

Patrick L
07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Love that song, along with the Sink the Bismarck song and Snoopy and the Red Baron!

felix
07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, those also..... ... felix

felix
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Bruce, research JFK's unfortunate circumstance. ... felix

bruce drake
07-08-2009, 09:03 PM
You mean where he sold his party out to special interests to assure his election...Sounds like par for the course nowadays...