PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on cleaning a fouled bore

omgb
03-18-2006, 03:20 AM
I decided to tear into my badly fouled Mosine Nagant tonight and see what I could do for the old gal. This is a very tired 1939 Soviet model with a basically good bore but a badly worn bolt stop and really loose barrel bands. I shot it last week using milsurp ammo and had cleaned it with hot soap and water but I wanted to really get at the copper fouling that was obviously built up. This gun came to me 20 years ago from a neighbor in Portland who didn't want it. Whether or not he ever cleaned it I don't know. Likewise, I have no idea of it's service record but it surely has been used.

Step one was a real going over with Sweets. I tried using a regular bronze jag but I just couldn't get the fouling out. Then I decided to switch to a plastic slotted tip and a very long and large patch. I drenched this in Sweets and pumped it back and forth 60 times. I then dried the bore and started over again. I did this 4 or 5 times. Then I hit it with patches soaked in Break Free. These brought up lots of black gunk but I couldn't seem to get to the end of it. Every patch came up black and gooy. So, I ran a long soping wet patch of Ed's Red down the bore and bingo, stuff started happening. Four patches and several dozen strokes on the rod and I finally got it all. Then I coated the bore with Break Free and set it aside for a couple of hours. A fresh white patch indicated more gunk. I went back to Sweets and sure enough, I got blue. More long patches, several passes with a stainless "Tornado" brush and more Ed's Red. I did the Break Free soak again and this time, no gunk, just clean white patch. Finally, the bore is clean. Now I can see some of the rough spots..I can actually feel them too. So, over Easter break (I'm a teacher) I'm going to fire lap the bore using my LBT kit.

What I got from all of this is this: Sweets is great for copper but not too great on powder. Break Free is Ok on powder and zip on copper. Ed's Red is the "bomb" on fouling and used in conjunction with Sweets, really cleans a bore. Break Free is a fair rust inhibiter and an OK solvent for regular powder fouling So I'll keep it. Sweets may get replaced by a 10% amonia solution sold at Ace Hardware, I'm not sure. I'm going to have to try it. Ed's Red is staying with me permanently. It works.

Jack Stanley
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Sounds a bit like a 1903 Springfield I got that had cupro-nickle fouling so bad it looked like the rifling was rounded over . The fun and games with that was not fun and had it not been for a electric bore cleaner I don't know that it would have cleaned up .
I keep more than one or two solvents around just for a stubborn bore .

Jack

Char-Gar
03-30-2006, 10:17 AM
omgb... Your experience is parallel to mine. You have to get the powder fouling out with Ed's Red before the Sweets does it's thing. Over the years, powder and metal fouling seems to form some kind of laminate and you need to continue to use both until you get down to bare meta.

Cleaning a mil-surp rifle that has seen allot of service can turn ito a weekend (if not longer) project.

My first Krag was so fouled, I pluged the chamber with a wooden dowel rod and filled the barrel with Sweets and let it set for a month. Since that time, folks say that is a no-no..but it didn't seem to hurt the barrel and it did get the fouling out.

axxman928
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
ombg,
Fine post on cleaning fouled bores. Where can I get some of that "Ed's Red" and
"Sweets" bore cleaner? Thanks. axxman928

shooter575
04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
axxman,eds's red is homeade.Google will get a zillion hits.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
Sweets 7x62 solvent get from any gun mail order house or some good gun shops.

axxman928
04-02-2006, 02:58 PM
shooter575,
Thanks for the link.Think i'll mix up a batch tomarrow.Thanks again.