PDA

View Full Version : Grand Rapids Gun Show

Terrier
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
We went to the Grand Rapids Michigan gun show this morning. It is billed as having 475 tables which gives an indication of its size.

Primers: about 150-200 thousand total plus shotgun. Pricing ranged from $50/M discounted to $45/M up to$60/M. Lots of people looking but not may buying.

Powder: Hogdgons and IMR running about $25 which is about $5 over local stores. Again lots of lookers but not many takers.

Bullet Molds: About 15 total including the very old stuff. Used Lee single and double cavity with handles about $50, round ball about $40 and black powder between $40-$50. There was one old unmarked .38 SW, very well used at $50.

Casting Equipment: 1 10# Lee pot.

Guns: supprisingly few. New stuff was only a little higher than the local stores. Mil Surps are out of sight. NRA Good SKS at about $250 and up. Used commercial have not come down as yet. Older, interesting rifles were almost non exsistant.

The Good News: The attendance was way down compared to the last two shows here when there was up to an hours wait just to get in the door. Dealers are starting to dicker some.

Maybe things are calming down some in this area.

Terrier

Heavy lead
06-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Terrier,
This is why I haven't gone to a gun show in Michigan for at least two years. If you want to buy overpriced kettle corn and see all the interesting hardware kids are piercing and chaining together themselves with today it can be an adventure. Ah, but the ole' gunshow's just aren't what they used to be.

mike in co
06-28-2009, 08:14 PM
i'll throw in a hiccup to what you saw. it was a summer show and two things happen. less spendable cash and fewer attendees.

mike in co

357maximum
06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Terrier...that is why I go to Dan's when I get over your way.

Terrier
06-29-2009, 06:39 AM
That is where I get most of my stuff also. He has been short of primers all summer but has kept his prices at a normal level. Great guy to deal with.

The point of the post was that things may be returning to a more normal state. With low attendance, and plenty of components (the prices are coming down and supply is going up) the insanity looks like it is subsiding.
Lets hope things continue in this direction.

Terrier

JSH
06-29-2009, 07:17 AM
One of the last shows I went to looked more like a large rummage sale than anything. Then the side vendors of crap. I made it a point to find one of the ones in charge and tell them I didn't pay the $8 entry fee to buy jerky,nuts and jewelry.
I have made it a point to do the one day shows, but danged if there isn't some one with crap there! One table had one gun, that looked like it was behind the door of a chicken house for the last 20 years.The rest of the table was covered with Avon bottles!
I did speak to a couple of guys that went to one of the 2 day shows a couple of weeks ago. Charged them $10 to get in. Then still the crazy prices and nothing of real use to even a casual shooter for the most part.
jeff

oldhickory
06-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else hate baby carriages at gun shows?

captaint
06-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Glad to see the folks weren't paying the stupid prices for primers. After a little while of that behavior, thngs will go back to normal. Finally. Mike

jcwit
06-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else hate baby carriages at gun shows?

Not hardly, Thats been one of my pet peeves for years. I've always thought mama went to the show to make sure dad didn't spend any money. While the baby stroller pluged up the aisle so no else could get thru.

They check for guns at the door, maybe they scould put plastic ties on the wheels of the stroller.

376Steyr
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I recall a Skeeter Skelton line about a gunshow. Something like it was a "two million dollar gunshow", with one million dollars worth of guns plus $400 worth of flea market stuff marked up to a million dollars.

HORNET
06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Terrier,
You went on the wrong day. I went with Badgeredd on Saturday, almost no line, 2 minute wait. There was a guy in the back room ( right wall in the back) selling cast boolits that had some molds. Mostly black powder stuff, a couple of TC molds on Lyman handles @ $25, some Lee singles @ $20, and a set of Rapine 515451 ( 450 gr. for .50/70, etc) 2 cav. blocks @ $65 (IIRC, I wasn't that interested). One guy had some OLD looking primers @ $35/1000 and one place had some blue-box WLP that looked like they'd ben in a flood @ $40/K. Another place had some CCI #35 (?- the ones for .50 BMG) for $135..YEOWCH!!
I did pick up a single cav Lyman mold 452424 for $25- I think I already have one but now I have a spare to get hollowpointed...GLOAT, GLOAT

Powderpacker
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I did pick up a single cav Lyman mold 452424 for $25- I think I already have one but now I have a spare to get hollowpointed...GLOAT, GLOAT
Mold gloating isn't allowed unless it pertains to .22 cal molds.

HORNET
07-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Haven't seen a .22 mold at a gun show since I pointed out a 2 cav Lyman 225415 to Badgeredd at the last South Bend show. Thought he was going to hurt himself going after it....

armyrat1970
07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
I don't go to any local gunshows anymore for two reasons. One. You have to pay to get in the door and may not find anything you want. Two. I have read how there are just to many butt heads and don't want to deal with that crowd. I'll wait until this madness dies down and will continue to deal with local shops when they have what I'm looking for. If they don't have it, I will wait.

Terrier
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I have been going to the gunshow for over 45 years. They are not as good or as interesting as they used to be and definately very different. I spend most of my money with the private parties who are selling items they no longer need or want. The full time dealer want a lot more than local dealers who get a lot of my business. I will continue to go to the bigger shows because you can still find interesting and unusual items and occasionally get a real bargin.
Terrier