PDA

View Full Version : Max Loads---?

mag_01
03-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Pushing loads to the Max--am I safe if I see no pressure signs---what signs should I be looking for---2 loads that I am pushing--30-30----160 gr. gas checked with 22.5 of AA 5744---as well as 308---200 gr. G/c with 25 grs. of AA5744 soon to be going to 26 and 27---I have no way of measuring pressure other than visual signs--any thought on this subject would be appreciated---Thx. Mag---:castmine:

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Couple ways. One how the primer looks, including the firing pin indentation, and if the primer flowed back into the firing pin hole more then normal. How the shell extracts from the chamber...easily or hard. If it's bolt rifle....how hard or easy the bolt handle lifts. In a semi-auto pistol if the firing pin hole is cutting donuts out of the primer cup that flowed back into the hole. If you have a chronograph and the velocity is way above the factory listing or reloading book listings. Probably one of the better one, without having specialized tools, is to measure a new factory round the web just right ahead of the extractor groove, record it, fire the round and measure again, and record that. Then fire your reloads and measure the fired measurement and if it's bigger then the factory fired reading, you're treading on dangerous water. You'll need a micrometer for this or a darn good set of calipers.

Joe

floodgate
03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Joe:

Thanks for the comment on my comment on our educational system. It's NOT the kids - we've given demos to grade-school classes on spinning and weaving, and they eat it up and ask sensible questions - it's the SYSTEM!.

(But, do an old "pedant" - short for "stomped piss-ant" - a favor and rememeber: "A LOT" is TWO words! Grates my nerves as much as "bullets" for "cartridges". And it's "better THAN", not "better then", even though they sound alike.)

But - especially! - thanks for the BEST quick, succinct summary of what to look for with respect to excessive pressure loads I have read in years. Everyone who reloads should copy this and keep it stapled over his reloading bench and in his range box.

floodgate

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Gosh Floodgate,

I really don't know what to say. Thanks

Joe

lovedogs
03-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Yup, all good advice... and to the point.