PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had gotten some good deals

Trailblazer
03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
on molds before, but right now I am waiting for the choppers to start circling and the sirens to wail! I went with a retired friend of mine to look at a lathe for him. The lathe didn't turn out to be worth getting but then he wanted to hit the gunshops. I have work to do but what the hey? The third one we hit is the highest priced place in three counties and I rarely buy anything there. My friend had money in his pocket(for the lathe) and while he was looking at guns I wandered around to see what kind of high priced merchandise they had. They had a bunch of used molds in one display case so I got somebody to show them to me. I picked out a NEI SC 290-358GC with Saeco handles, a four cavity Lyman 266469 (140 gr. 6.5MM) with handles, a DC Saeco 081(180 gr. 8mm) with handles, a DC Saeco 352(250 gr. .358) with handles and a DC Saeco RG4 that is missing the sprue plate. We took them over to the boss to get a price. He said to make him an offer. I said $20 just to see where we were going. He said, "for the set?" and I said, "yeah". He said, "plus tax" and I said "OK". I think I did a good job of keeping my jaw from dropping but I feel like I just robbed a bank!

Moral of the story-don't go out with a retired gun nut with money in his pocket if you have work to do!

rvpilot76
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, I'd be willing to sacrifice a day of work if I could come across a deal like that! That NEI 290-.35 would make one heck of a thumper for a 35 Whelen! NICE FIND! I wish I could keep a straight face when haggling over a deal like that! Excellent job!

Kevin

45 2.1
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
If your interested in selling that 6.5 mold, PM me.

Trailblazer
03-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I have three 6.5mm rifles and probably another one in the works so I am going use the 6.5 mold. I will use all of them. I have a 98 Mauser in 8mm I have never shot because I didn't have a mold. Took care of that problem!

I now need some heavy bullet loads for a 356 Win. I wonder how fast you can push a 290 gr. bullet from a 356?

I bought an A+B 35 Whelen barrel from Midway a couple years ago but sent it back as unacceptable. I have the dies so a 35 Whelen will probably happen here too.

jh45gun
03-18-2006, 02:41 AM
Don't ya just love it when a great deal comes along! Congrats :)

JDL
03-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer, What a find!...... did ya kiss him? (:D)(:D) -JDL

Trailblazer
03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I actually thought I should give him a kiss but resisted the urge. He had some conversation with somebody in the back when he went to get a box. I could tell by his change in demeanor that somebody let him know he screwed up. Otherwise I would have gone back and looked at the rest of the single cavity molds. There were a few I didn't look at. Maybe I will stop back in next week and see if they are still there.