PDA

View Full Version : Buying Moulds

burch
06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Is buying new moulds a better choice than used moulds. I`m asking this because i`m wondering about the quality of new ones. If moulds are like most stuff the older the better if they`ve been taken care of. I`m sure their`s some good advice here on the experience of buying new and used moulds. I`d sure like to hear the pointers on this issue and i`m sure a lot of other folks would too. With a lot of new people like myself getting into reloading and casting these days because of the rising price of factory ammo some tips are in order. I`ve been reloading for about 6 years now and have just started to learn the casting sport. As I anticipated it`s a complicated mind blower and that`s probably what keeps us all interested. So please chime in with your tips and experiences on buy new and used moulds.

Thanks to all in advance,
Burch :???:

EDK
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
My experience so far on buying used moulds has been good. I have gotten them off eBAY and classifieds on this forum. Like any other internet purchases, look for the sellers feedback (or number of posts here) and avoid any items with damage beyond normal wear or obvious neglect.

Since the panic buying on components and equipment started, used moulds are going ABOVE wholesale and even retail on some auctions. New moulds may or may not be available from the usual sources...and there has been a lot of discussion on the lack of quality control by LYMAN or RCBS. I have a NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES mould on the way and MI-HEC will be making several designs that I want. Ordering off the group buys for those suppliers should get you a higher quality mould.

"If you're a high volume pistol shooter, you need four-to-six cavity moulds, a STAR lubri-sizer and a DILLON 550B (or similar) progressive press."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

HeavyMetal
06-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Lately buying new molds is as big a crap shoot as buying used ones!

Tips on buying used molds:

If the seller is local go see the mold. You can do the touchy feely thing and then decide. The good part about this is sometimes the seller has other things he'll sell he has forgotten to mention?

If the seller is not local. You can ask for photo's ( I just love the out of focus shots on e bay) and then ask for a return agreement if it doesn't "measure up"!

You will find molds that have issues. The decision then is going to be based on your own ability to repair what you see or what you are willing to pay to have it fixed.

As an example: A guy is selling a "Like new" Lee 2 cavity mold for $15.00. When you see it...well it ain't like new. The corect response? Run Like H.....!

Next example: a guy has an 8 cavity H&G 68 mold, with handles, for sale. It's in great shape no rust no damage but his daddy took the sprue plate off (?) and no one knows what he did with it.

Price is $80.00? If you know that Ballisticast has spare parts and that the mold is worth $200
You once again Run Like H... only this time you best have that mold in your hot little hand!

Many times buying a mold is not what it is but what you know and what you know you can do!

Molds that don't close properly, Molds that the blocks "rock" on, Molds that have air gaps between the blocks when held up to the light, Molds that look like the were drug to the gun show behind the car, These are all warning signs that the current seller isn't to good with stuff or is passing along stuff he got in trade and doesn't want to mess with.

These are all things that each buyer must decide for himself. Is the price to high for the work
that needs to be done?

I've bought molds that need work just for the learning experience. Others may not be as "intriged" as I am by that type of adventure.

burch
06-28-2009, 12:19 PM
My experience so far on buying used moulds has been good. I have gotten them off eBAY and classifieds on this forum. Like any other internet purchases, look for the sellers feedback (or number of posts here) and avoid any items with damage beyond normal wear or obvious neglect.

Since the panic buying on components and equipment started, used moulds are going ABOVE wholesale and even retail on some auctions. New moulds may or may not be available from the usual sources...and there has been a lot of discussion on the lack of quality control by LYMAN or RCBS. I have a NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES mould on the way and MI-HEC will be making several designs that I want. Ordering off the group buys for those suppliers should get you a higher quality mould.

"If you're a high volume pistol shooter, you need four-to-six cavity moulds, a STAR lubri-sizer and a DILLON 550B (or similar) progressive press."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

I`m already set up with the Dillon 550. I`ve used it for a long time, great press

burch
06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Lately buying new molds is as big a crap shoot as buying used ones!

Tips on buying used molds:

If the seller is local go see the mold. You can do the touchy feely thing and then decide. The good part about this is sometimes the seller has other things he'll sell he has forgotten to mention?

If the seller is not local. You can ask for photo's ( I just love the out of focus shots on e bay) and then ask for a return agreement if it doesn't "measure up"!

You will find molds that have issues. The decision then is going to be based on your own ability to repair what you see or what you are willing to pay to have it fixed.

As an example: A guy is selling a "Like new" Lee 2 cavity mold for $15.00. When you see it...well it ain't like new. The corect response? Run Like H.....!

Next example: a guy has an 8 cavity H&G 68 mold, with handles, for sale. It's in great shape no rust no damage but his daddy took the sprue plate off (?) and no one knows what he did with it.

Price is $80.00? If you know that Ballisticast has spare parts and that the mold is worth $200
You once again Run Like H... only this time you best have that mold in your hot little hand!

Many times buying a mold is not what it is but what you know and what you know you can do!

Molds that don't close properly, Molds that the blocks "rock" on, Molds that have air gaps between the blocks when held up to the light, Molds that look like the were drug to the gun show behind the car, These are all warning signs that the current seller isn't to good with stuff or is passing along stuff he got in trade and doesn't want to mess with.

These are all things that each buyer must decide for himself. Is the price to high for the work
that needs to be done?

I've bought molds that need work just for the learning experience. Others may not be as "intriged" as I am by that type of adventure.

I really have no problem working on stuff if need be as long as the price is right and your honest about your item. I`ve done my own gunsmithing for a long time with good results so i`m not too ignorant on common since issues. What I hate is being lied to just to make a sale or just getting rid of your junk to someone else. That`s just not right. These people need brought out in the open so no one else gets screwed in the process. I think the sticky this forum has on this issue is not only smart but lets everyone know who the good guys are:drinks:, who the turds are.:Fire:

06-28-2009, 12:45 PM
burch,

I have both used and new moulds, from Lyman, Lee, and RCBS. Some have been problematic and some have been trouble free -- there is just no way to know. Buy what you can afford and learn how to fix any that have a problem.

As EDK said, auction prices have risen to the point that used moulds are selling for more than new. If you aren't in quick need of one, reasonable prices can still be had. Look for an auction that ends other than on a Saturday or Sunday, though. It seems that the auctions that end during the week don't attract those with more money than brains and who enjoy getting into bidding wars. A classic example is two auctions I was, a few months ago. Both were for a 2-cavity Lyman 454424 -- one sold on Sunday for $106, the other on Monday for $56. If you are going to bid on a auction, determine how much a used mould is worth, to you, and don't bid above that price.

If you want new, try Midway or Mid-South Midway has to have the Internet's slowest site, though. I have run out of patience with it, however, and have been buying elsewhere. Also, Midway's dealer prices are generally not any lower than Mid-South's.

mooman76
06-28-2009, 07:28 PM
There are advantages or disadvantages either way you go. Like you said if it's been taken care of it should be good or better since it's broken in. Another advantage is if you buy it some place like hear you can get a little more inf on it possibly like what size does it actually throw or you could get it a little cheaper but if it's no longer in production or hard to get it can be a little more. I've gotten new and used moulds and I like allot of the used ones better but I've been lucky for the most part and gotten ones that were taken care of. Like stated though the production is so high right now allot of the new ones are slipping by with defects and are hard to get in a timely mannor..