PDA

View Full Version : 4500 has wet farts

10mmShooter
06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a Lyman 4500 with heater, I trying to finish using up my two tubes of regular normal Lyman Ideal(Ideal) lube. I'm lubing my 10mm 175 TC bullets they have a relatively show lube grove. But are sizing nicely at .4005, and the black Ideal lube is sticking well to the bullets although meesy.

Anyway after about everything 5th or 6th round radomly I size I get a extra blob of lube that comes up under my bullet, my bullets are TC-BB.

I tried heat on, heat off, no pressure, little pressure, lots of pressure.

any ideas?? are their lube that are not so messy.

I have some Red Rooster lube that I'm trying next, but I need to go ahead and finish up my Ideal lube.

06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
The problem may be due to the bevel-base design which will allow lube to migrate under the base.

You mention "the black Ideal lube". If you are refering to Lyman's Black Moly lube, yes, indeed, it is rather messy.

DLCTEX
06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Try a styrofoam washer under the boolit made from a take out tray, egg carton, etc. Let it form to the shape of the boolit base. May have to change it once in a while.

Tippet
06-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I hear a lot of guys put a nickel under there to solve this problem.

357maximum
06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
another thing I have learned.....never ever ever crank the pressure handle when the boolit is down in the die when using certain lubes...

make your crank when the die is empty and the luber will be less cranky. :groner:

44man
06-28-2009, 12:15 PM
It happens! I don't care what you do and it is just a part of living with the machine. Lube is coming up along the ejector pin.

leftiye
06-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Mine only has dry farts. Every so often a boolit will literally jump out of the press when pushed up after sizing or lubing (don't always size). Air in lube probly. (Or too many beans)

NHlever
06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
My RCBS lube sizer does the same thing. I've found that fine tuning the depth that the boolits go to mostly eliminates it. Have the boolit go no deeper than is necessary to size as much as you want, and get lube in the groove(s) you want. Part of the problem stems from the holes in the sizing die being lined up with the bottom of the boolit.

captain-03
06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
My RCBS (30+ years old) -- have learned to live with it ... will try the egg carton washer; may help ...

10mmShooter
06-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

Anyone have ideas on the RCBS vs Lyman sizing dies, I use the .401 RCBS which has only one set of lube holes......but I use the Lyman .430 for my 429421 bullets, and it seems to not make a mess...even thought the Lyman die has several sets of lube holes, granted the 44 bullets hold 2x times the lube the 10mm bullets hold. but the 44 bullet is not BB.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-28-2009, 07:15 PM
The main difference in performance between RCBS dies and Lyman that I am aware of is that the bullet ejector on the RCBS’s is flat while the Lyman’s is slightly dished. If the base of your boolits are perfect you probably won’t be able to tell the difference between the two. However if your boolits have a slight bevel base or a bump from the sprue plate the flat ejector of the RCBS tends to allow lube leakage around the base. The Lyman dies with the dished ejector do occasionally have a “wet fart” but they seem to work a lot better for me than the RCBS dies. Most likely the cause of you problems is the bevel base boolit. Hope that helps.