PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube Recipe's ?

jcork
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
There are LOTS of recipe's for making traditional lubes, I imagine mainly for cost or performance reasons. Is the Lee Liquid Alox such a good and cost-effective product that no one has experimented with making something at home?

BABore
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Sure, just buys some Alox 350 or equivelent and mix it with mineral spirits 50/50. Same as Lee's tumble lube. There's a guy on the site, Lars45 I think, that will sell you some. I cut my Lee stuff down with additional mineral spirits to thin it out. Coat the bullets up and lay them out in front of a fan. They'll tack up in an hour or so. Recoat if needed and put them in a gallon baggy with a 1/4 tsp of motor mica and toss. Gives them a nice powdery coating that's not sticky. The finished bullets look and feel just like Hornady's swaged lead bullets.

abunaitoo
03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Where do you go to find motor mica???? What is it normally used for???

RayinNH
03-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Abunaitoo, Midway sells motor mica. You can also use baby powder, but your bullets will smell like a babies butt (after cleaning :) )...Ray

Leftoverdj
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax works well at the lower pressure and velocity levels when applied by heating the bullets enough to melt the wax. I've a notion to try the same technique with Felix.

Markbo
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
A question from a noobie reloader - why coat the now lubed bullets with a powder? What does that do?

BABore
03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Handling and storage. No more sticky alox finners or a box full of a clump.:-D