PDA

View Full Version : Small town gunshow

DLCTEX
06-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I went to the gun show at Shamrock, Tx. today. My expectations were low so I fared better than expected. $5 to get in the door. Some really high priced ammo, powder, and brass. 1 lb. H 380 and others $25. 8 Lbs. 3031 and 7828 SSC $168. The only primers were 300 Win. Staynless for $50. Maybe 100 guns total, some decently priced, some really high, no bargains. I did find 200 Herters .30 cal . 150 gr.spitzers for $24 + 50 Herters .30 cal. 150 gr. fp for my 30-30 for $5. I also bought a 20 rd. mag for my 1911, $20, just because I didn't have one.
This afternoon we are going to Mobeetie for the Old Settlers Day. Calvary reinactment charge, historian with a different view on the buffalo hunters(?), period guns and frontier life demonstrations. Chuck Wagon fare for dinner. Hotter than blazes, but a cool front coming, so I'm hoping for clouds and cooler wind soon. Beats mowing the grass. Wow, just checked and its storming there now, sounds as if it will be cooler.

Pepe Ray
06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Small town shows are OK. There's always the possibility of a surprise treasure.
BTW Tex, er Mr Clawson, Just where is the Texas "pan handle"? Please don't ask me to look at the map, cause I've been over that a thousand times, I don't see it.

Thanks for your patience with a "d^ ^^& Yankee"
Pepe Ray

felix
06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
It's that area under the OK panhandle. ... felix

DLCTEX
06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
The northernmost part of Texas, Amarillo is in it, It includes part of the High plains and also part of the rolling plains. Take a look at my avitar and find the small star above the Lone Star to get an idea of where I'm posting from.
It was much cooler there as the rain storm had just passed when we arrived and just lightly rained a couple times. Food was good. $12 for entry and food. Cheap date for the wife and I.

Buckshot
06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
...................Isn't Texas also known as Baja Oklahoma? Just trying to be helpfull :-)

................Buckshot

rockrat
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Buckshot, when I went to the University of Oklahoma, thats what we called it (among other things!!!)

Dale, don't get too upset, I have some good friends in Texas, and my ancestors hailed from there.

DLCTEX
06-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I've lived in Oklahoma twice, it's a nice place to visit, but a bit small.

oldhickory
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I like the smaller shows, I always come up with something, (sometimes free!). A small 100 table show locally once my brother was eye-balling a 52E Winchester and I was just kinda zoning, leafing through some old 1960s Dixie Gun Works catalogs a guy had on his table and he ask if I wanted them...Free. Sure, why not reminise through some of the good old days, and I'm glad I did! Those OLD DGW catalogs are a wealth of information for home-made fireworks and such!:mrgreen:

At another some 20 or so years ago I picked up a 95' Krag carbine for $90.00 and the guy threw in an 1896 U.S. Army cook book free! I've gotten all 3 makers of 1917 Enfields at small gun shows for about 1/2 of what I would have paid at big shows, an RIA 1903, (1918), a couple of M1 rifles, and a bunch of early 20th century big caliber S&Ws and Colts, all at good prices.

The only reason I bother with the larger shows is to pick up parts and components...And good deals on either is getting rare these days and darn near $10.00 just to get in the door!:confused:

hydraulic
06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Isn't it Shamrock where old US 66 used to pass through? I stopped there and took a picture of the old Conoco gas station and cafe.

Lead Fred
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
ID been real bummed about gun shows in my hood. Ive been telling the wife the E-Bay crowd has sent the prices threw the roof.

I finally struck gold last show two weeks ago. Picked up 2 very nice finds, one was a brand new 1996 Marlin 30-30, never fired.

The other a 1939 Belguim Mauser, with a brand new 06 barrel, and it was blueprinted, and polished. It has a never before seen Parker Hale drop down floorplate thats carved. All for $180.

My faith is restored

dolang1
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
We used to eat breakfast in that cafe on our way to work cattle.
We didn't know it was going to have historical significance some day.
That was in the late 60's. Shamrock was a good place to grow up. Later Don

sundog
06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Dale, Osage County is larger than Rhode Island. Maybe Felix and I, and t he ladies, ought to saddle up and come visit you one of these days. I-40 would make it real easy. Got any good lodging and feeding spots? Home town type stuff is bestest.

felix
06-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Anytime, Corky! ... felix

DLCTEX
06-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Corky, actually my favorite place to eat in this area is in Oklahoma, near Elk City. Simon's catch is in the country and has the best Ribeye around. Also good catfish and shrimp. Best steak this side of Buffalo Gap, Tx. where Perinni Ranch has the best Ribeye I've ever eaten. He caters for Robrt Duvall, Fess Parker, and the Bush family among others. He serves a bread pudding with Jack Daniels sauce that is wonderful. Talking myself hungry.

hammerhead357
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Dale if you get over around Lawton Ok. try out The Old Plantation in Medicine Park Ok. I don't know if it's still open but they used to serve a steak that covered the plate it was served on and the potatoes were served on a seperate plate.
I don't know if this is true or not but the story I was told that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were married in the building that the Old Plantation was in.
One sort of neat thing about it was that sometimes while walking in from the parking lot you could hear artillery rounds rattle across over head since it is near Ft. Sill.
I haven't been to Medicine Park for many years so don't even know if the steak house is still there.
Oh almost forgot I bought all of the Linotype and foundry type that an old print shop had in downtown Shamrock about 1988 or 89. Golly it doesn't seem that long ago.....Wes

armyrat1970
06-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Won't go to any of my local gunshows until this madness calms down a bit. Cost to get in the door and may not find anything you want. And have read a number of post of very rude people attending now-a-days. Ain't for me.

DLCTEX
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Hammerhead, if you were there in 1967 those artillery rounds may have been fired by your's truly. I spent two months at Ft. Sill on active duty training to be a cannoneer even though our unit had changed to an engineer unit. Typically the military had the view that since I had signed up as a cannoneer, that's how I had to train. Direct fire with a 105 at junipers on a mountain 3/4 mi. away was a hoot. The rest of the time we just fired and didn't have a clue where the rounds landed.

Char-Gar
06-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I lived in Pampa and in Booker, so I am familiar with Shamrock and Mobeetie (both new and old). Lots of little towns up there with nice folks.

Folks in Oklahoma are mostly nice, but I used to drive to Beaver to makes a hospital visit once in a while. I always stopped by the Pizza Hut as we didn't have such a fine eatery where I lived. One two seperate occasions fist fights broke out in the Pizza Hut at noon. "Back in the day" Beaver was pretty wild and wooly, I guess it still is.

On one trip to Beaver just after Fall had really set in, we had a couple of days of Indian Summer. Every rattlesnake in the area crawled to the shoulder of the blacktop to get some warmth. I saw dozens on the way. Folks were stoping shooting and beating snakes. I have never seen that many snakes in one day before or after that day in the fall of 81'.

I have been gone from the Panhandle since 83', but at times I miss it. Not for long, but I have some good memories, Beaver not withstanding. Shot a really big deer in the Canadian River breaks in 1974!

AlaskaMike
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I've lived in Oklahoma twice, it's a nice place to visit, but a bit small.

Every state is small from an Alaskan's point of view. :-)

Mike

hammerhead357
07-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Charger, I lived very close to Beaver Ok. for several years. We moved about 7 years ago to south Texas. I lived about half way between Beaver and Laverne Ok. way the hell out in the sticks and loved it but it gets to dammed cold in the winter.
I commuted to Amarillo to work 157 miles one way but only went 2x per week so had a lot of time at home.
Oh the rattlesnakes they would have been just Prarie Rattlers out there but they are sort of hard to get along with. Go about 70 miles east and you get into the area of the western diamond back. I much perfer to deal with them......Wes

hammerhead357
07-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Dale, that would have been a little early for me. I think I was there the first time about 1982 or 83 and the last time would have been about 1990 or so. I really like the area in the spring time.
I used to compete in the rattlesnake roundups in Mangum, Oklahoma and Waurika Oklahoma. Had a blast there....Wes

smokemjoe
07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Lived in Borger and Amarillo once, Wife from Fritch.Worked on drilling rigs.Seen Bill Monore at Mobeetie at a Blue Grass Festable,Most of been over 100 deg. that day.They were all in suites.

DLCTEX
07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Hammerhead; I competed in the rattlesnake roundup at Sweetwater. Tx. in the early 60's. 300+ snakes didn't even place as the winners had more like 2000. We got 92 from one den. Action can get hot and heavy when you gas a den like that.

hammerhead357
07-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Dale the only time I gas dens is when they are close to someones home. Then I will gas the den to be rid of the snakes for a while but in my experince the snakes will move back into the old den at some point.

I don't like gassing dens but in some places it is accepted pratice so I will not bitch about it. I prefer to just catch them out sunning in the spring or at night on Senderos here in south Texas. I have been to the Sweetwater Round up a few times but never competed there.

Smokemjoe I lived in Borger Texas for a little over a year. Jan. 1973 until April of 1974. I also suffered a rattlesnake bite while living there. The Dr. and hospital staff didn't know jack scwat about treating it either but I servived with no long ill effects.
I saw winds gust up to 90 mph there. I have seen worse during storms but this was just a clear windy day.....Wes

Char-Gar
07-02-2009, 09:40 AM
The Texas Panhandle and South Plains have a true four seasons..

1. Windy and hot!
2. Windy and cold!
3. Windy and sandy
4. Windy and dusty

I think they may be a total of six days a year you can cook out in the back yard and not have to fight the wind.

Now do you boys want to start talking about West Texas sand storms? I got a couple of dusys. We can start with watching a prarie dog diggin a hole four feet in the air. Not to mention the hen that laid the same egg four times.

hugh
07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I like the small town shows also .at times though you can just about guess who is gonna have what b4 you get to the table.Igot family TX. coming up from galveston bay/ houston .going fishing in ok. at another uncles ranch. I live in mo.

JohnH
07-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Dale, a few friends and I went to the Guyman/Hooker OK. area to pdog shoot the last couple of years. Shamrock is kinda the "Holy Grail" of the trip. It is there that one really notices a shift in the land. First I saw the mesa's north of Shamrock I knew I wasn't in 'Bama anymore. Beautful, beautiful country there.

DLCTEX
07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
The 'Rolling Plains" is my favorite part of Texas, but then I'm prejudiced. The high plains are just too flat and featureless for my tastes. Give me the rivers, canyons, hills, valleys, plains, and great variety of the Rolling Plains. We had an evangilist visit our church once who rode to Pampa with the pastor and returned in the late evening as the fall moon was rising full above the horizon. With the distortion of mirage and dust in the atmosphere, the moon appeared to be huge and blood red. The evangelist asked in an awed voice "what in the world is that"? Pastor replied "it's the moon". 'What's wrong with it"? Seems he was from Arkansas and hadn't seen the moon until it rose above the trees. He thought the end of the world had come. We do see some beautiful sunrises and sets, as well as the moon in a way some of the world doesn't see it.
My best Pdog hunting place has been over run with gas and oil wells to the tune of one on every forty acres. So much human activity that it's unsafe to shoot in any direction. The place I hunted the last two days takes some attention paid to background for every shot. They keep drilling closer to my place, half a mile away now. Hope they drill a good one just outside my yard.$$$$

big dale
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=dale clawson;604096]Hammerhead; I competed in the rattlesnake roundup at Sweetwater. Tx. in the early 60's. 300+ snakes didn't even place as the winners had more like 2000. We got 92 from one den.

Don't know if they still have it or not, but back in the early 80's they had a pretty good little gun show in Sweetwater the same weekend as the rattlesnake roundup.

I have always prefered going to the smaller gun shows.

Big Dale

07-08-2009, 01:50 AM
here in the desert the guns are pretty weak, and the few bargains i did find I didn't have the money. However in the reloading area, our gun shows usually have some good stuff. next one is in August I'm hoping to find something good since i do in fact have money (this time ;) )