PDA

View Full Version : chilled or not shot

jhalcott
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
poetic ?? any way ,short of scientific analysis ,is there any way to tell if shot is chilled or just dead soft lead?? I have about 100 pounds of shot some reclaimed from a trap range some new. The new shot was poured into cans so the previous owner could use the bags for sand so checking the bags is out! Is there a "pinch test" with pliers that might work, or a melting test. I was planning on melting them into a WW alloy to improve heat treat results.

MT Gianni
03-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I would try casting some in a dipper over a torch and test the bullets for hardness. Gianni.

bobthenailer
03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
i think all shot is chilled! the arsenic in it is what your after for water dropping or oven heat treating

beagle
03-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Think you're right. For the last 30 years or so, I beleive all shot has been offered only as "chilled". Now, the magnum variety has a bit more antimony in the smaller sizes.

When I started loading in the 60s, we were able to get soft and chilled shot. IN 5# bags too. Telling how old I am here.

Cast a few bullets. Place one in a vise and break it in half with a set of plier. If it cracks or acts brittle, it's probably chilled. Shot makes bulllets a bit more brittle than I like them. Better to add a little tin and pure lead./beagle

i think all shot is chilled! the arsenic in it is what your after for water dropping or oven heat treating

bobthenailer
03-19-2006, 08:29 AM
hi ck out htpp://www..lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm it will answer your questions