PDA

View Full Version : ouch!

defib
06-26-2009, 02:56 AM
My fathers day present was permission to buy a ruger super blackhawk from SWMBO. It is an outstanding gun. I went today to get ammo wally world was out so I went th the local hardware store that carries 44mag ammo. 22.99 for 20 winchester 240gn soft tips. and 32.99 for 20 federal 240gn hydroshock personal defense so add $5 tax and 40 rounds just cost me a few cents shy of $60. My next purchase will be from an on-line supplier. Friday I am going to try it out for the first time. I wont be shooting the federal except 1 or 2 then save them for when Im at home.

My next plan is to get rid of my glock 40 s&w ( I already have a possible buyer) and set up to reload the 44 mag and cast for it. Will also try to replace the glock with a more lead friendly 40.

I just wish I had gotten into this before the current hoarding trend.

carpetman
06-26-2009, 03:16 AM
defib "My fathers day present was permission to buy a Ruger superblackhawk from SWMBO. " Did she give you a discount? What if someone else had a better deal?

defib
06-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Mama gave me permission to buy it. And I got a really good deal. A friend had it for sale. It has had the sear polished and is even drilled for a scope.

Cowboy5780
06-26-2009, 04:42 AM
i've got some 44 mag mixed brass if you need any i may part with a few

armyrat1970
06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Your doing better than me. My fathers day gift was an audio card of Larry the Cable Guy. Don't get me wrong I loved it but the ability to buy a BlackHawk would have made me silly.

Wayne Smith
06-26-2009, 07:04 AM
You know you can get a lead friendly barrel for the Glock and not have to buy a whole new gun, don't you? Hope your wife doesn't read this if it's a spoiler!

BOOM BOOM
06-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi,
I just buy what I need to protect you & the kids Dear[smilie=1:

crabo
06-27-2009, 12:49 AM
You haven't asked yet, but here is a good starter mold for your handgun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=744337

When I first started casting, I was looking for the magic mold for my guns. I don't know how many people told me "every gun is different". I had a hard time getting a good recommendation for a mold. It's true, every gun is different, but this is a good place to start and many people stay with this mold.

Depending on your goals and personality, this may be all you ever need for a 44. If you are like some of us, you will end with with 4 or 5 or more molds for each caliber you cast for.

Good luck, there is still time to run before you fall in the deep end.

Tom Herman
06-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Mama gave me permission to buy it. And I got a really good deal. A friend had it for sale. It has had the sear polished and is even drilled for a scope.

Glad that SWMBO let you buy the gun... In a moment of weakness, mine said it's Father's Day, and gave me permission to buy a gun at the local show last weekend. That was on SUNDAY, when all the good guns to be had got sold the day before...
However, not all was lost. Without her knowing, I ordered a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 SPL quite some time ago. So, I told her in lieu of a gun from the show, I would order the Ruger.... Now I don't have to sweat it popping up all of a sudden...

I would highly recommend the Lyman 429421: Mine is a four banger. It casts a beautiful 240 grain Keith style bullet that performs well.
This mold is my favorite: The bullets almost cast themselves!
Best of Luck and Happy Shootin'!

-Tom

defib
06-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll let everyone know how its shoots as soon as i get a day off.