PDA

View Full Version : There were no Wheelweights to be found...period.

Texasflyboy
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I spent all morning, and I mean all morning driving all over hill and gone looking for wheel weights.

I am down to my last 30 days of bachelor freedom and Wednesday morning was all mine. I got up early and started driving up and down the usual strips that had tire joints. I stopped at them all. Big ones, little ones, mom & pop, big chain stores.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE either had wheel weights to sell or wanted to sell to me. By 11:45AM, I had stopped at 31, yes thirty one places of business, and none had wheel weights to sell.

Boy was I depressed. A whole morning shot to heck, and nothing to show for it.

But, I remembered one salvage yard whose name just stuck in my head and I decided to give them a call. Here is how the discussion went:

"Juan's Salvage, Juan speaking"

"Buenos Dias Juan, my name is xxxx. I am looking to buy some lead. I was hoping you had some wheel weights to sell".

"Uno momento, por favor senor"

(Long period of yelling in background, I hear what sounds like a forklift lifting stuff up and it comes crashing down. Lots of excited yelling.) I begin to think I am forgotten about.

"Senor, no Senor, we don't have any wheel weights".

Darn! Strikeout.

So I decided to ask if he had ANY lead at all. He says "No, just some of the letters".

Letters? Huh?

"What do you mean "letters?" I think I said "K usted significa letras?" in my broken Spanish...

"The letters, to print the papers with, we have a barrel of them. .20 cents a pound."

I was on the cellphone, doing 70 in a 65, on a freeway 5 lanes wide, and it was hard not to press the pedal to the floor. My heart started beating faster....

"Oh yeah, those kind of letters....well I don't know...maybe...where are you located again?" I write the address on the windshield after licking a finger to make a dust trail (yeah my truck is that dirty).

I was there in 22 minutes and 6 seconds. I cleaned them out. 485 lbs of linotype letters.

Any no, they didn't have any more. I stayed 20 minutes extra making sure.

Some days you win, and some days you score. That day was a good day after all.

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/lino.jpg

Dale53
03-16-2006, 10:12 PM
JUst goes to show, the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Congratulations!! Good Show!

Dale53

Bigscot
03-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I have been feeling the same way. I have been around a few times and everyone was "out". I was able to line up a few places to make some future pickups though.

BS

zuke
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Try wal-mart,a buddy of mine was the T.L.E. manager for awhile so stocked me up.[smilie=w:

StanDahl
03-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Y'know, those 'letras' will make crappy bullets. Not at all what you've been lead to believe. You'd best send them to me for proper disposal. Carpetman's truck might be big enough to transport them (in two trips) if you can get them to San Angelo.

The guy who usually posts this response to this kind of good news has the night off. I'm just filling in for him. Stan

omgb
03-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Can you make bullets for American guns with those or just Spanish Mausers?

Wayne Smith
03-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Humm. I've got a Chileano Mauser. Maybe I'd better start looking for some!

ovendoctor
03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
awsom score :-D linotype goes for a dollar+ on ebay,I stocked up wen my father in law closed his printshop

:castmine:

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2006, 06:15 PM
.............when you get a deal like that?

PatMarlin
03-18-2006, 05:05 AM
I scored a 5 gal bucket today for $8 WW, that is.

Great thing is I shoot either behind my house, or at a nearby place I call my private range and evey piece of lead I've ever shot is there and waiting to be reclaimed.

454PB
03-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I'll never forget the day a friend showed up at my house about the time I got home from work. He had been telling me for several years that he had access to a bunch of linotype, and I nagged him for all those years to tell me when and where, I'll come get it. He backed up to my garage with his 3/4 ton Dodge pickup, and I noticed the front tires were barely touching the ground. He had 3000 pounds of the same stuff that's is in your picture. It isn't easy shoveling that stuff, but I never complained once as I got it all off loaded into every container I owned, plus a big pile loose on the floor. The next day he arrived again with another 300 pounds in the long 10K ingots......I was in heaven!

I've since used a lot, gave away a lot, and even sold 600 pounds recently.

Pystis
03-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I'll never forget the day a friend showed up at my house about the time I got home from work. He had been telling me for several years that he had access to a bunch of linotype, and I nagged him for all those years to tell me when and where, I'll come get it. He backed up to my garage with his 3/4 ton Dodge pickup, and I noticed the front tires were barely touching the ground. He had 3000 pounds of the same stuff that's is in your picture. It isn't easy shoveling that stuff, but I never complained once as I got it all off loaded into every container I owned, plus a big pile loose on the floor. The next day he arrived again with another 300 pounds in the long 10K ingots......I was in heaven!

I've since used a lot, gave away a lot, and even sold 600 pounds recently.

Why don´t I have friends like that. So I guess I have to think positive; I don´t have room for that amount, and repeat that in my mind...:groner:

Jukka

imashooter2
03-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Good score! Now tell me they threw in the trash can to sweeten the deal...